Link: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not that anyone cares but since I saw other points - in the 1991 Orange Bowl, Colorado assistant Gerry DiNardo left for the Vandy job and Gary Barnett called the plays as CU beat ND for the national title.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
All I know is this----It's a true testimonial of just how bad the Auburn Football program has become when they'd swallow every ounce of pride they have and actually hire an assistant coach from Alabama as their head coach.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
AU would seem like a disasterous place for CKS to go but if (and it is the biggest IF ever) he would have to be given the power and autonomy to clean out the cockroaches. CNS was able to clean house and Smart saw how it is done. Being 36 and having zero HC experience seems to be a difficult bridge for me to cross as to what AU is looking for. Could be completely wrong and we don't know how many "Nos" they received. ARK is waaaaayyy down their list so who knows where AU is. Guess we'll see soon enough. Best of luck to KS and his family...except against Bama.
There is an infestation of termites down there also. I'm not sure Terminex can assist him if he takes the job.

Are there athletes that he's recruiting for Bama that we could lose if he goes to the Dark Side or Black Hole?

I sure would hate to lose him, but he can't turn down a place where he has the possibility of winning. He could not do that at places like Kentucky, Southern Miss, etc.

If he takes the job, he just needs to goooooo! We'll just have to do the best we can to prepare for ND without him.

If I were him, I'd NEVER take that job! But to be successful from day one, he'd have to go full throttle from the day he accepted that job.

He's deserving, but please go anywhere but the Barn!

1Dawn

1st Team
Sep 18, 2009
If they were set on KS already, would they continue to contact others, such as Petrino, per Phillip Marshall, today? I hope that is a good sign for us.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
All I know is this----It's a true testimonial of just how bad the Auburn Football program has become when they'd swallow every ounce of pride they have and actually hire an assistant coach from Alabama as their head coach.
You are a good candidate for a question.
If Kirby was told that he would be the next coach at Bama (security clearance knowledge only), at age 36, do you believe he would take the Auburn job now or continue with a top 3 national coordinators position and wait another 4-6 years when he would be 42 or so for the Bama gig? Just hypothetical here.

The former has more money on the short end with less guaranteed time scale on the job, the later the opposite. It's a 10 year plan.

What do you believe he would do?

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I dont think he is leaving. How much intel can you gather during an interview on the inner workings of a program? Does Auburn take a PR hit if Smart ultimately withdraws his name from consideration? Before I took the job at AU there would have to be complete disclosure at the situation there. I bet if you took a poll nationally that Auburn probably has the worst reputation in college football for playing within the rules. If I am already highly compensated, which Smart is, going to a reputable program would weigh heavily with me. Everyone who coaches at Auburn comes away tainted in someway. Why would Smart risk his entire coaching career at his age on a 5yr contract for $15M? I would not do it if I am already a millionaire, which Smart certainly is. Remember, coaches with no previous head coaching experience traditionally are given little patience from the fans and alumni. If you dont hit the ground running you are out in year 3 which most certainly would be at Auburn based on how they have handled things in the past.

No one on the current staff has enough experience to be promoted to DC. IF, Smart does indeed cross the line, there will be an outside hire for DC.

If Malzahn could get paid $1.4 or so as OC last year at AU then I see no reason that we wont make a competitive offer to retain Smart.

If Smart would just sit tight for 2-3 more years, the I believe the GA job will open again (I dont Richt is off the hotseat at all even with this year's record based on his inability to win games that matter), plus he may have clearer indication of what the Bama situation is in the future (not saying CNS will retire) and depending on who they get Auburn will likely be open again.
I doubt very seriously that CNS hires a DC from the outside. There are many more experienced coaches on our staff than Kirby (or Muschamp when he was at LSU) was when he was hired.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
There is no logical positive argument for Kirby Smart to take the Auburn job. If he wants to leave Alabama now for a good head coaching position (which he does deserve), there are about 10 openings that are a much better option as far as having a chance for success than diving into the cesspool that is in Auburn right now. And i'm not slamming Auburn just to slam Auburn. It's just in a horrible condition at the moment. Player attitude/control issues, too many cooks in the football kitchen, and the NCAA with a hard-on to nail them on something to make up for the Scam Newton cover-up.

acbl_phill

Scout Team
Aug 25, 2010
Birmingham
There is so much chatter about this since last night. I got a text saying ppl in AU's athletic dept were saying Kirby was hired and would be announced today.

The AU boards were saying he's hired this morning, now I'm reading he has declined the offer.
I wish they would make a decision.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the impending NCAA investigation is going to put a damper on hiring any up and comers. This is why I've thought Petrino and Auburn were the appropriate match: a coach who will take any major job and a school who will likely be resorted to taking any quality coach available regardless of baggage.

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado
I can certainly see him interviewing there, and I can easily believe they'd make him an offer.
But even setting aside my disgust for all things barn, if CKS walks into that cesspool with the mess going on there he's not nearly as smart as I thought he was.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think the impending NCAA investigation is going to put a damper on hiring any up and comers. This is why I've thought Petrino and Auburn were the appropriate match: a coach who will take any major job and a school who will likely be resorted to taking any quality coach available regardless of baggage.
This. Petrino or Malzahn, both know the drill over in Lee County. Am hearing some noise about Butch Davis to Knoxville, who knows, also heard Gundy but it looks like he is off the board.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I doubt Kirby ever intended to go to Auburn, and Coach Saban knew it too. Hopefully he will stay through coach Saban's 2nd act.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
You are a good candidate for a question.
If Kirby was told that he would be the next coach at Bama (security clearance knowledge only), at age 36, do you believe he would take the Auburn job now or continue with a top 3 national coordinators position and wait another 4-6 years when he would be 42 or so for the Bama gig? Just hypothetical here.

The former has more money on the short end with less guaranteed time scale on the job, the later the opposite. It's a 10 year plan.

What do you believe he would do?
I think he'd stay at Bama without question. Way too much upside not to.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I think if Kirby Smart ever had any desires to either return to his Alma mater or to Bama as a head coach it would be suicide to accept the job at Auburn. I don't think he would be welcome at either school down the road although Auburn would be lucky to get him. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.