Link: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

BamaJoe

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
this was on footballscoop.com

Auburn: Sources close to the situation tell us Auburn's interest in Kirby Smart is very sincere. This one could play very soon. Update> Multiple sources tell us Auburn is working on an agreement with Kirby. Will update...

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL
There's an article on the Barner's 247 (can't link b/c premium) that says Malzhan is now the leading candidate and Kirby isn't taking the job.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Another issue I see with this situation is their expectation of him to "dislike" Alabama in the same manner they do. He's been here a while now. He's gone through some thick and thin with this program, the fans and it would be hard for me to believe he doesn't have some emotional attachment and "love" for the university. I doubt something like this would even be a consideration in making the decision to coach there or not but it could very well become an "issue" once he's in and folks within the program begin to think he's not an "Auburn man".

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I thought this tweet from Will Lowery was funny:

Will Lowery ‏@jwlowery29 If Kirby Smart goes to Auburn, I will jump out of the Sun Life stands in Miami and do naked laps until security levels me. Just don't see it
Further info from Brother Lowery and a fine point indeed:

Problem is, hes been with our program for 6 years.He knows how strong our program is right now.No way he wants to try and compete AGAINST us

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The only logical reason he would take the barn job is short-term money, and even that assumes he has no other offers this year.

If, as Al Del Greco indicated, there is pressure to keep Trooper Taylor in the face of an NCAA investigation AND the personal knowledge of Troopah's / the barn's recruiting tactics Smart would surely have gained in he past six years, that's a problem. Add to that reported disagreement over Pat Dye's role. That combination tells you everything you need to know about the autonomy he would have.

Smart's human, though, and money talks to us all. But holy moly, Kirby....that's some Godamighty expensive money.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Another issue I see with this situation is their expectation of him to "dislike" Alabama in the same manner they do. He's been here a while now. He's gone through some thick and thin with this program, the fans and it would be hard for me to believe he doesn't have some emotional attachment and "love" for the university. I doubt something like this would even be a consideration in making the decision to coach there or not but it could very well become an "issue" once he's in and folks within the program begin to think he's not an "Auburn man".
I beleive thats a great point, and very valid...
having coached at Bama, it would be hard for him to just turn around and 'hate' the program, as their fans would expect...

very tough situation, and I dont think Kirby will get the job because of it...

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
rizolltizide......
Here's the thing. If they offer him a boatload of money, which they obvously would, he'd almost be a fool not to take it.....
It's not now or never, that seems to be missing from your rationale. And also any emotional thoughts on it.

Never said it was now or never. Better decisions are made when emotions are removed.
CapstoneTide - You want some emotion? I hope like hell he doesnt go to the barn, cause I'll make fun of him forever if he does. Specifically if somebody finds his pants in a pond. There will be plenty of opportunites out there for him if and when he decides the time is right.
Okey dokey.
Just to put into context if's he's a fool for not taking the money as you say.

He'll end up a fool then :)

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
WAKA CBS 8 ‏@CBS8News
#BREAKING: Auburn President Dr. Gogue tells CBS 8 News Reporter @jgertler_CBS8 that coach announcement to be made within 24 hours.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.