Link: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I am going to retire from the Thread but here is my initial and final prediction.

They want an offensive minded coach, they know they cannot beat us at our own game.

Petrino is the favorite for many but Jacobs is not one of them
Gus will be the compromise.

Kirby interviewed knowing the chances where slim to nothing he would take the job, Coach Saban knew this and has probably worked with him. If Coach Smart is cool to other offers then internal promises might have been made with Coach Sabans blessings. He is only 36.

saraelizabethua

1st Team
Feb 3, 2008
Oxford, Mississippi
I don't think Coach Smart is leaving, BUT, if he is, I'll be happy for him for 24 hours, and then it's on. :)

In a perfect world, I feel like he should wait until a coach retires, rather than one is forced out for sinking a program. He deserves better than an uphill battle.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
for petrino to be hired pat dye will have to give up all input into the program. not happening...it'll be gus malzzzahn

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well, I don't think this is a left field hire. They've spoke to Petrino, Malzahn, and Smart. The rumor mill from Auburn is already spinning stories that Gus interviewed better and others saying Smart turned down the offer. I think it is Malzahn or Petrino...I'm leaning towards Petrino but I wouldn't be surprised by Malzahn either. I think Smart is unlikely unless he has a change of heart in the next few hours.

CBS 8 out of the Montgomery is saying a coaching decision within 24 hours, so I think they got an offer accepted by one of these guys. Considering that they aren't already leaking the hire, I imagine it is a guy currently employed and they're giving a chance to leave his team on good terms.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
for petrino to be hired pat dye will have to give up all input into the program. not happening...it'll be gus malzzzahn
I think CKS also sees the way things are done down there and wouldn't want to have someone else calling (or trying to call) the shots. I'd bet it's Malzahn or Petrino. Louisville is an attractive job for Smart; even Colorado was a decent program in the 90's.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Kirby simply said, "Sorry... I'll only coach for a proven winner."

Obviously, that doesn't include Auburn.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
Where did you here this?!
That's just what's floating right now. Apparently part of Kirby's hang up was with the impending NCAA investigation an AU not wanting to be forthcoming about how extensive it is. This may be nothing more than a rumor or a straight lie but it came through a reliable enough medium that I thought I would pass it on.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
That's just what's floating right now. Apparently part of Kirby's hang up was with the impending NCAA investigation an AU not wanting to be forthcoming about how extensive it is. This may be nothing more than a rumor or a straight lie but it came through a reliable enough medium that I thought I would pass it on.
Airborne is as reliable as they come. If he felt it was safe enough to post here, he must think its pretty legit.

From my phone with Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.