Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Re: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

Quote Originally Posted by RJ YellowHammer View Post
    Imo He needs to prove himself as a HC somewhere else first. CKS is a fantastic DC, but being a head coach is another matter altogether. And Alabama is no place to learn on the job.
    We're getting to the same issue as when Bear was nearing retirement. If I remember correctly, Bear supported Gene Stallings strongly, but it took a decade (a bit less) to give GS a chance and he succeeded. I'd give a lot of consideration to what CNS recommends; if its CKS, I'd say we gamble on an unproven HC; if he recommends Bobo, then I'd say go after him (again unproven as HC). The AD doesn't see a staff work every day like CNS does. The recommendation of an elite HC should carry significant weight imho.

2. Advertisement

Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

Just gotta stop that lil inside trap
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

Re: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

People continue to say CKS should go get some head coaching experience before we give him a shot....why? Because Coach Shula failed?

Florida is doing just fine with Coach Muschamp and he had no experience as a HC.

It can work with the right guy and with the right foundation in place. If we somehow fall off a cliff, yes I want a HC with some experience. If CNS leaves us at the top of CFB, as I expect he will, experience won't matter as long as you have a scheme that will work.
    "We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year, to dominate."

I've said "Bama is no place to learn to be a head coach" but CKS might be the exception to that rule IN A FEW MORE YEARS.

Hopefully CNS stays and IF CKS stays with him all this time, while turning down other decent opportunities, I could see Bama MAYBE doing this.

As you can see I'm unsure but if we did this with anybody IN A FEW YEARS I could see it being with Smart.

If CNS says he's like him and recommended him, it might be the SMART thing to do especially if we've added a few more championships to the case.

Well I think Kirby would take a job at somewhere say like Clemson and if he does good and the Bama job were to open up later he would jump to return. He knows the tradition and knows the support he would get so I think if he ever was to leave he would relish the chance to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by MOAN View Post
    Well I think Kirby would take a job at somewhere say like Clemson and if he does good and the Bama job were to open up later he would jump to return. He knows the tradition and knows the support he would get so I think if he ever was to leave he would relish the chance to come back.
    I would feel more confident in this type of scenario. But if he stays till CNS leaves it will be the great debate of the 21st century about what should happen.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

JMO, but....I think KS should go to USM.
    He couldn't do anything but improve the program
    He has a lot of talent to draw from
    Other coaches have had success at USM
    If he went there, he would be there until CNS retires, thereby....
    Coming back to Bama

I know, I can dream...

Quote Originally Posted by jps1983 View Post
    We're getting to the same issue as when Bear was nearing retirement. If I remember correctly, Bear supported Gene Stallings strongly, but it took a decade (a bit less) to give GS a chance and he succeeded. I'd give a lot of consideration to what CNS recommends; if its CKS, I'd say we gamble on an unproven HC; if he recommends Bobo, then I'd say go after him (again unproven as HC). The AD doesn't see a staff work every day like CNS does. The recommendation of an elite HC should carry significant weight imho.
    I strongly agree. If Coach Saban end up with a Dynasty, who else would you trust more to choose the next coach?

Remember Muchamp and Jimbo Fisher (his peers) went straight from assistant to big time HC, if they are still at their schools when Coach Saban retires, not giving it to Coach Smart would be a huge mistake. Dubose should have no bearing on the hire at all. Coach Stallings really did not do much mentoring imo.....he has no HC tree.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CoastGhost View Post
    Good article! Maybe CKS will wait on CNS to retire
    It would be nice...but it ain't gonna happen. I'd rather see him go to a non-contender in the tank ATM (but who has fielded decent teams in years past) than I would see him go to a former perennial contender who is currently in the tank. If the former happens, he has a chance to build his resume and gain valuable experience (and there ain't no experience like actually "doing it"), thereby looking to move up when CNS retires; if the latter happens, and he turns around a perennial contender who can afford to pay him big bucks, he'll never come back to Bama.
    IMO, he will not stay at Bama until CNS retires...unless CNS retires within the next two years.

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crmsntd91 View Post
    The man wears no socks with his pennyloafers, he is replacing CNS when he retires.
    Haha you nailed it!

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

I believe facing Mark Richt in the SEC championship has extended Kirby Smart's career at Alabama by a few years. Thanks, Mark!
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jps1983 View Post
    if he recommends Bobo, then I'd say go after him (again unproven as HC)
    If CNS recommends Mike Bobo as the next head coach at Alabama, I'd have to worry about his sanity.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

LOL! Let's also remember that Saban recommended Houston Nutt to LSU as well. Just sayin....
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon