Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

When Bama assistants go coach at Auburn, they feel second class. When you feel second class, you drink heavily. When you drink heavily, you say stupid things on the Finebaum show. When you say stupid things on the Finebaum show, every knows it's Pat Dye. Don't become like Pat Dye, and stay at Alabama.

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

Kirby is not going to Auburn. He's getting experience in the process, but he and Auburn are not a good fit imo. They need an offensive minded head coach that will continue a fast paced spread offense.....like Malzahn for example. No way Kirby can pull a Pat Dye on Alabama and beat us at our own game because Coach Saban is still peaking, so they will have to go a different route.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaTide57 View Post
    maybe it is an opportunity to sway a recruit or two to Bama!
    I would take the interview just for the opportunity to be able to scratch "Roll Tide!" on one of the bathroom walls in the AU football complex, if nothing else!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Obviously I am not an "Auburn man" nor aspire to ever be one but I get the feeling they will want a guy with successful head coaching experience as their next hire. I'm not saying they're going to go after someone established at the top level but at least go after a guy like Fedora who has been a successful OC and HC early in his career.

BamaNation First Team Stonewall1959's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

IF he actually interviews at the Cow College it certainly won't surprise me. There's a big difference in $900,000 a year vs $4 million. I never thought I'd see Bill Oliver down there, either.

I hope this rumor is like the Charlie Strong to AU rumor with no validity.

I couldn't blame him if he got serious about the Tennessee job, though. Much better program without nearly as many negative aspects.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

On Smart's interview at AU .... Consider the sources of the reports, then wait to see what more credible media has to say

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not think Smart is ready to be a head coach and go against Saban, head to head. He knows that better than any of us. Plus, if he just stays at Alabama another 7-10 years, he can have the Job when Saban leaves.

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    When Bama assistants go coach at Auburn, they feel second class. When you feel second class, you drink heavily. When you drink heavily, you say stupid things on the Finebaum show. When you say stupid things on the Finebaum show, every knows it's Pat Dye. Don't become like Pat Dye, and stay at Alabama.
    Now that's funny !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTRforever14 View Post
    I do not think Smart is ready to be a head coach and go against Saban, head to head. He knows that better than any of us. Plus, if he just stays at Alabama another 7-10 years, he can have the Job when Saban leaves.
    The problem is the earning potential he'll forgo if Saban sticks around until he's 66-68 like I anticipate. 6-7 years is a long time to wait to get a job he'd want. Muschamp had the same issue at Texas. Of course, I think they sold him that Mack was going to retire a lot quicker than he actually did.

At least Alabama has not made the "coach in waiting" title which makes the assistant more anticipant of gaining his long-term title. It's more of a wink-and-a-nudge deal where he's clearly the frontrunner if he stays around.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I believe Coach Saban will probably hang it up with 2 back to back mediocre seasons or another 6 years. Kirby is 36 and if he is made coach in waiting, could be the Bama head coach by 42. After the riches of the coach Saban era, I see nothing wrong with his main man taking over. Even if it doesn't work out, the next coach will not have to Follow in the footsteps of the Sabanator, and we will be grounded again. I see it as win win to make CKS a behind the scenes coach in waiting ala Muschamp and Fisher.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Awesome!

I can't fault anyone for trying to improve their position, make more money and accomplish career goals. That said, I can't imagine a scenario where Kirby Smart thinks the Auburn job is worth taking.
    RTR

BamaNation All-American TIDEnGA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

My aubie hubbie said Kirby was offered the interview late last week. His first inclination was not to interview but supposedly after the game Saban talked him into it. I don't have a source/link, and my hubbie has no inside connections. So I imagine it must be somewhere on al.com or some place very public. He doesn't go digging very much. I have no idea the validity of that so feel free to delete if it's a problem.

If so why would he suggest unless just for practice. I really can't see Saban saying to Kirby "yeh you're my right hand man, go down to Alabama's biggest rival". Just can't see such encouragement to AU.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDEnGA View Post
    My aubie hubbie said Kirby was offered the interview late last week. His first inclination was not to interview but supposedly after the game Saban talked him into it. I don't have a source/link, and my hubbie has no inside connections. So I imagine it must be somewhere on al.com or some place very public. He doesn't go digging very much. I have no idea the validity of that so feel free to delete if it's a problem.

If so why would he suggest unless just for practice. I really can't see Saban saying to Kirby "yeh you're my right hand man, go down to Alabama's biggest rival". Just can't see such encouragement to AU.
    I agree with the practice.

The Bill Oliver debacle has to have left some lingering effects, even if they are smaller than the precedent of never again that I suggested. Why risk burning two bridges? A segment of the Bama fan base will call him a traitor (the ignorant) and if he fails at Auburn they will dislike him. He is too good to put himself in that situation. No way he goes to Auburn.