Link: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
NOT
NCAA snooping around and too many ghosts who have a say in the program make this a hazard zone. Plus, I believe very few coaches are ready to take the helm of a major program - that's a stretch with Auburn I know - as their first major coaching assignment.
Do you not think he would be a good hire for Auburn? I know why you and I think Auburn would not be a good place for him but I personally think Auburn would be lucky to get him. Especially with his ties to recruiting in the South and their problems. I don't see any established head coach at a winning program going there so I believe they will be lucky to get a top assistant.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Do you not think he would be a good hire for Auburn?
I think CKS may one day be a great head coach - only time will tell. Regardless, the barn is a major program and I'm not sure their best move is to hire an unproved coach. Sure, it works out sometimes, but it's a miserable failure others. At this point, I suspect Malzahn is their man based on experience alone.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Do you not think he would be a good hire for Auburn? I know why you and I think Auburn would not be a good place for him but I personally think Auburn would be lucky to get him. Especially with his ties to recruiting in the South and their problems. I don't see any established head coach at a winning program going there so I believe they will be lucky to get a top assistant.

Was Pat Dye an offesive coach? Regardless, I believe they need an offensive minded coach, and I believe that's where they will go. They can not beat us at our own game and that would be Kirby's demise as a top choice......imo. And we are what it's all about for them right now.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Gotcha. I heard by Wednesday this week from Del Greco on the morning drive, and yes that would keep us from having to worrying about the hypothetical.
Some talk says Auburn is announcing tomorrow or Wednesday. I doubt it unless a name breaks fairly soon.
I have been on here too long, I correcting shortly after. Thought it was Friday for a minute :conf2:
Sometime this week would be GREAT!! Move along Barners!!!!

Thanks for the answers!!

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Petrino is the next coach down at the farm. Both he and au are desperate right now.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I think CKS may one day be a great head coach - only time will tell. Regardless, the barn is a major program and I'm not sure their best move is to hire an unproved coach. Sure, it works out sometimes, but it's a miserable failure others. At this point, I suspect Malzahn is their man based on experience alone.
I agree its not their best move to hire an unproven head coach but I also think with all the good jobs open and with their problems it may be their only move. I figured Malzahn would rather coach Arkansas or Tennessee but who knows. He took a pay cut from Auburn to coach Arkansas State for some reason. I guess it could have been because of a falling out with Chizik.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
When Bama assistants go coach at Auburn, they feel second class. When you feel second class, you drink heavily. When you drink heavily, you say stupid things on the Finebaum show. When you say stupid things on the Finebaum show, every knows it's Pat Dye. Don't become like Pat Dye, and stay at Alabama.
Thanks , I just spit coke all over my computer screen and keyboard...LOL

bnhonest

All-SEC
May 28, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Al, USA
I sure would like to know if Earle has heard anything of late on the subject of Coach Smart.

It seems to me that *uburn hiring smart would be like landing the hot new girl for home coming. She sure does look good, but nobody really knows if she is a good girl, if she will put out.

Tider4653golf

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 29, 2010
I sure would like to know if Earle has heard anything of late on the subject of Coach Smart.

It seems to me that *uburn hiring smart would be like landing the hot new girl for home coming. She sure does look good, but nobody really knows if she is a good girl, if she will put out.

I say give him 2.5 mi to stay at Bama!!! Someone please tell me hes not going to the darkside!!!!!!!!!:mad2:

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I say give him 2.5 mi to stay at Bama!!! Someone please tell me hes not going to the darkside!!!!!!!!!:mad2:
even Marshall is refuting the story that smart has been hired. so looks like it was a rumor taken from a bleacher report type of site with information from message boards and a blind guess.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
No way Kirby goes to Auburn.
Hope you're right! Now I'm more worried about who/what he takes with him than just him leaving. First one to pop into my head was Cochran. They seem really close. Then I started thinking about recruits. Who would he take with him as well? Not to mention all the knowledge of the inner workings of the Alabama program. I feel sick. This is just too much! Plz Kirby say NO. It's auburn!!!

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If he takes it, you know Saban won't have him coach in the NC.
And if ND put 40 on us, all his good work would go up in smoke with a majority of Bama fans who would now consider him "the enemy"............a large segment of the state he would still reside in. It's a huge risk and there is no need for him to get in the middle of that.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Hope you're right! Now I'm more worried about who/what he takes with him than just him leaving. First one to pop into my head was Cochran. They seem really close. Then I started thinking about recruits. Who would he take with him as well? Not to mention all the knowledge of the inner workings of the Alabama program. I feel sick. This is just too much! Plz Kirby say NO. It's auburn!!!
Surely, being in the coaching community, he has to know if the looming peril down at the cow college. Surely he knows he'd just be a pawn down there. Surely he's Smart-er than that!! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
I think he's the one they settle on as well...it's a better fit.
He's liked by most of the *barn fans, it's a step up for Malzahn, he's coached there before, there are enough offensive players for him work with and he's a solid recruiter (so barners say).

JMO, but if it were Petrino, I think they'd have hired him already. I think they've probably took a shot and offered Strong and maybe Patterson from the get-go, but have had to look down their list.

As for KS, CNS encourages his assistants to interview whenever they have the opportunity, so I read nothing into it at this point other than that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.