Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Re: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

Quote Originally Posted by TIDEnGA View Post
    My aubie hubbie said Kirby was offered the interview late last week. His first inclination was not to interview but supposedly after the game Saban talked him into it. I don't have a source/link, and my hubbie has no inside connections. So I imagine it must be somewhere on al.com or some place very public. He doesn't go digging very much. I have no idea the validity of that so feel free to delete if it's a problem.

If so why would he suggest unless just for practice. I really can't see Saban saying to Kirby "yeh you're my right hand man, go down to Alabama's biggest rival". Just can't see such encouragement to AU.
    It would be interesting to see how they'd try to sell the job to him.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

2. Advertisement

Re: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    It would be interesting to see how they'd try to sell the job to him.
    I suspect it would include lots and lots of American Dollars.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Auburn does have a good deal to sell. Their facilities are solid, they've been a winner in the SEC before, and they're in an area where theoretically you can recruit quality athletes.

I get the feeling that Smart will not be their top choice for the job but interviewing is a good way to enhance a coordinator's appeal down the line. Smart's name hasn't really been attached legitimately to a major opening so far. He could get the job but I think they go for Petrino over Smart.

BamaNation First Team BamaPride1979's Avatar

The News channel 9 in Columbus Ga reported Smart has a interview in a undisclosed location per the barn undercover. The only thing is I can't find any other article about it. I hope Smart wouldn't do a career suicide at the barn
    The first person I would like to thank is the good Lord, for giving me the ability to play the game of football. Because without the ability to play the game I would have been at Auburn." -- Marty Lyons

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I don't think this is a manufactured story by "mad barners." I do believe he is interviewing or already spoke to Auburn officials. I just get the feeling that he won't get offered the position. The SEC has had some buyer's remorse trying to hire Saban assistants lately. Mainly Tennessee and I think Auburn needs a known head coaching winner to bring the fanbase together. Truth is that the fans won't care about Petrino's misgivings and damage he's done to employers because his scheme is a proven success in the SEC.

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

phillip marshall as the only source of information makes me think this is possibly the new dying trees story.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

This is public knowledge since this morning. Al Del Greco confirmed it and I feel confident he has good sources. He kept mentioning it over and over like he was trying rain on our parade a little Finebaum finally came on and said not a chance.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I like Finebaum's sources in situations like these. The guy has a background in sports investigative reporting and his stature in the sports media field allows him access that nobody else gets outside of the ESPN Mothership. He's not really a journalist anymore but his connections to the people who matter in the college football industry are still strong, alive and well.

Auburn's not going out of left field like Gene Chizik this time, so I think his pulse on the situation will be pretty spot on. Smart is just getting his name out there and Petrino is the best hire. Auburn needs legitimate names around their hunt because immediately going for Petrino will be questionable whereas if he "wins" the interview process...people may buy in more.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

In fact, I think the reason Pat Dye went "radio silent" on the coaching position at Auburn is partly due to his proclamation that "Petrino will never be the coach of Auburn." Somebody connected to the program let Pat Dye know that supporting Chizik is fine but don't burn any bridges with our targets.

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

So will they hire before we go to Miami?

I don't want any BS connected to the Barn's coaching search affecting the way we practice/play. This smells like total Barner CRAP to me--romance our coach and cause questions and concerns with his players that causes a distraction. Deep down, I know CNS won't let this happen, but it is extremely disruptive, IMO.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

WSFA reported earlier that Gus and Kirby are the top 2 choices and Petrino has not even been contacted.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bamabelle1991 View Post
    So will they hire before we go to Miami?

I don't want any BS connected to the Barn's coaching search affecting the way we practice/play. This smells like total Barner CRAP to me--romance our coach and cause questions and concerns with his players that causes a distraction. Deep down, I know CNS won't let this happen, but it is extremely disruptive, IMO.
    I doubt Alabama fans would be understanding if he left for Auburn and skipped playing Notre Dame for the NC, especially if we lost from poor defensive play. Unless he succeeded at AU, it could be a career stunter. It would never happen imo, he is too Smart(pun) and is not desperate.

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    I doubt Alabama fans would be understanding if he left for Auburn and skipped playing Notre Dame for the NC, especially if we lost from poor defensive play. Unless he succeeded at AU, it could be a career stunter. It would never happen imo, he is too Smart(pun) and is not desperate.
    I agree with you. I guess what I'm asking is WHEN is *U planning on making a coaching hire? If it isn't CKS then we can quickly move on and there is less opportunity for distraction for our players. I guess that works either way--if they hire before or after we go to Miami?