Link: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This could be a ploy to get KS "coach in waiting" status and a bump in pay? If Coach Saban wants him to be the next coach, I can see why he encouraged Kirby to interview.

I believe Bama would counter at this crucial time.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Here's my $.02: With all the CRAP that comes with the AU job, I don't care how many millions you wave in front of CKS, I just don't see him going there. I may be naive, but it is like selling your soul to the devil! You know the NCAA is there investigating the program, you know that no coach since Pat Dye has had total control of their program (you are Dye's pawn now) and the fact that you will probably get a hefty raise at Bama--WHY IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY do you potentially commit career suicide? I mean, sure--his name and his connections will make him an instant success on the recruiting trail--but at the EXPENSE of the players who you have worked with and developed for years. If we weren't on the cusp of making college football BCS History, I wouldn't be all worked up about this. If we were going to the Capital One Bowl instead of the BCSNCG it wouldn't be as big of a deal. But GOOD GRIEF! Before the most HYPED, BIGGEST BCSNCG in recent history?? Come on, Kirby--don't prove that money IS INDEED the root of all evil!! STAY ON THE GOOD SIDE!!!

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If you had two choices on his future, would you keep Coach Smart with a guarantee he would succeed Coach Saban, or let him go to Auburn? This is hypothetical of course but I would choose the former.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The people at Auburn got exactly what they wanted. If this isn't true, they have their name in the media and causing a ruckus among the Alabama faithful...the week after we won the SEC.
It's only a momentary blip on the radar screen. If Kirby is not hired by Auburn, it'll all blow over pretty quickly, and we'll still have 4 weeks or so of time to concentrate on the big game.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Oh my goodness, sorry but some of you need to "settle down". You act like your turning on him and not a word has been said he is taking the job, he interviewed for it, let it be just that. Regardless, it's still just a job.

Look at the bright side, we'll have inside information on what really goes on there. You do know we are sending him in as a spy. Ya'll calm down before you blow his cover. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Everyone, come down from the ledge. It's most likely a practice interview. There is absolutely nothing wrong with interviewing anywhere for a head coaching job including God forbid, Auburn. Bama has and always will play on. No worries. Trust that CNS and CKS are professionals. They will coach to the end to help Bama win. After this season, we'll see where the chips fall. If Kirby decides a move would be better for him and his family, then good luck to him (except of course against us, otherwise, I'd like to see Auburn come back to some semblance of success as rivalries mean little to nothing when it's lopsided) -- you can't stop someone from working where they wish to. You have no control over what others do. Until CKS goes elsewhere, he is our DC and a dang fine one at that. Roll Tide!

Last edited:

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Oh my goodness, sorry but some of you need to "settle down". You act like your turning on him and not a word has been said he is taking the job, he interviewed for it, let it be just that. Regardless, it's still just a job.

Look at the bright side, we'll have inside information on what really goes on there. You do know we are sending him in as a spy. Ya'll calm down before you blow his cover. ;)
I am not seeing that, only honest hypothetical commentary. It's a hot topic and will get a lost of posts.

I wish we would do it, Auburn job aside.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
It's only a momentary blip on the radar screen. If Kirby is not hired by Auburn, it'll all blow over pretty quickly, and we'll still have 4 weeks or so of time to concentrate on the big game.
Yeah that is what I figured would happen. They will only have our attention for this week. :)

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
It is interesting how the rumor is flying but Phillip Marshall is saying it is not true. We all know that he would be rubbing it in our faces if there was some truth to it.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL

I don't know who you guys think are "turning on" Coach Smart? I want to see the guy become a head coach and have a lot of success doing so. I am also thankful for everything he's done for OUR university.
Everything I've read from all the fans posting on this thread are in the same boat.
If he decides to go to Auburn, however, I don't think he'll coach the BCS National Championship game. It's that simple. Even if he decides to go there, no ill will. No need for a chill pill. The man has to do, what the man has to do.
But, like others have stated, he's still our defensive coordinator and we love that fact and respect him. So, let's just wait. It's probably all postering like so many others before myself have said.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
This rumor about Kirby accepting started at a site called RantSports by a guy named Phillip Scmidt in Chicago....in Chicago.

What that says to me: a Notre Dame guy is trolling us pretty hard right now

RTRforever14

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 29, 2012
Kirby is a serious candidate for the Auburn job and yes he could take it if offered. He would have full control with regards to the football program, which coaches to hire, etc... Is he ready for such a jump? That is the question. Will he make a good coach? Coaches are mercenaries, he has two national championship rings as an assistant. He will not be missed if he were not to coach in Miami..

He needs to do what is best for himself and his family. But he also needs to remember that if he goes to Auburn, he will be viewed as Pat Dye is, a traitor to the Bama Nation.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
If he takes the job, he will be gone immediately--do you guys actually think AU wouldn't put him STRAIGHT on the recruiting trail? There is NO way in Hades they allow him to stay at Bama and coach the BCSNCG.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Then you lose on 1/7 - pretty simple. You guys (the fans) are not giving Smart enough credit for your success. Unplug him as you prepare for ND and you lose.
I don't buy that for one second. It would be different if it was the OC or something, but Saban is heavily involved in the defense. Saban also has some other people out there he could plug in to make up the difference a bit. For instance, Sal Sunseri is looking for a job. I think we all know he's not a great DC, but he knows Alabama's defense and he knows how to be a DC.

It would be different if Saban wasn't hands on, on the offense. But, I do absolutely believe that Alabama could, at least for one game, operate close to business as usual. Kirby is valuable, but it's something the team could deal with.

As far as Kirby goes, it's hard to say how he'd do on his own. He's never been a head coach, and the only time he was even a DC before Alabama was at Valdosta. Personally, I wouldn't be too upset with Auburn hiring an unproven head coach and I wouldn't mind the notion that they'd base a hire around trying to mess Alabama up in a game. That sounds like something they'd try and doesn't sound like what to do if you are trying to win yourself.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
RTRforever14;2055197[B said:
][/B]Kirby is a serious candidate for the Auburn job and yes he could take it if offered. He would have full control with regards to the football program, which coaches to hire, etc... Is he ready for such a jump? That is the question. Will he make a good coach? Coaches are mercenaries, he has two national championship rings as an assistant. He will not be missed if he were not to coach in Miami..

He needs to do what is best for himself and his family. But he also needs to remember that if he goes to Auburn, he will be viewed as Pat Dye is, a traitor to the Bama Nation.
Says who?

Last edited:

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
The reason I say some of us seem to be turning on him if he takes the job is I saw some of the he shouldn't be allowed to coach the NC game and took it the wrong way.

Plus it's this kind of sentence that geared me in that direction.

" Two totally different circumstances with about 1 million reasons why we wouldn't want him *Smart* coaching our Bowl game."

Last edited:

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Guess I saw some of the he shouldn't be allowed to coach the NC game and took it the wrong way. It's this kind of sentence that geared me in that direction.

" Two totally different circumstances with about 1 million reasons why we wouldn't want him *Smart* coaching our Bowl game."
Coach Smart has interviewed for the Auburn job, that is established. And just that is enough for people to be able to speculate on what the team would do if he left. As long as it's in good taste and within the board rules.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
The reason I say some of us seem to be turning on him if he takes the job is I saw some of the he shouldn't be allowed to coach the NC game and took it the wrong way.

Plus it's this kind of sentence that geared me in that direction.

It's Auburn. Like a previous poster mentioned - they're in the same state. Same conference. One of our biggest (to me, our biggest) rival. Given the history and animosity between the two schools, recruiting same players, etc. etc., I don't think he'd coach the bowl game.
Look, it's my opinion - that and .50 will buy a cold coke (at least it used to be able to buy a cold coke)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.