Link: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
Hope you're right! Now I'm more worried about who/what he takes with him than just him leaving. First one to pop into my head was Cochran. They seem really close. Then I started thinking about recruits. Who would he take with him as well? Not to mention all the knowledge of the inner workings of the Alabama program. I feel sick. This is just too much! Plz Kirby say NO. It's auburn!!!
Exactly! It's not just losing KS, its the trickle down effect with other coaches and our verbal committments.

If he does accept the AU job, he needs to go ahead and part ways and not coach in the BCS championship game. I would not be bitter about him taking the job, it's just the fact that he would not be 100% committed to us or the game, and on the flip side would not be 100% committed to AU coaching in the game. It's really a conflict of interest both ways. Most AU fans can't stand the fact of us winning another championship and their coach would be helping us do that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Didn't your OC call your game in New Orleans last year after taking his current head coaching job? Why would you not want Smart doing the same thing if he is hired by another school?

IMO, it would be very foolish to do otherwise with Smart.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
Didn't your OC call your game in New Orleans last year after taking his current head coaching job? Why would you not want Smart doing the same thing if he is hired by another school?

Colorado St. and Auburn are totally different scenarios. It's night and day.

We don't play in the same conference, reside in the same state, or compete for the same recruits with Colorado St.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I think he's the one they settle on as well...it's a better fit.
He's liked by most of the *barn fans, it's a step up for Malzahn, he's coached there before, there are enough offensive players for him work with and he's a solid recruiter (so barners say).

JMO, but if it were Petrino, I think they'd have hired him already. I think they've probably took a shot and offered Strong and maybe Patterson from the get-go, but have had to look down their list.

As for KS, CNS encourages his assistants to interview whenever they have the opportunity, so I read nothing into it at this point other than that.

Good info.
They need a fast paced offensive minded coach like Petrino or Malzahn. My hunch is that if Petrino had support from Jacobs, he would already have the job.......so Malzahn is the obvious choice. Certainly they understand that they can't emulate Bama a la Pat Dye, but are going to have to Ying to our Yang. That's how they won in 2010, and will be the reason they hire Malzahn. Hiring Coach Smart would be a disaster from him as well as their program imo.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Colorado St. and Auburn are totally different scenarios. It's night and day.

We don't play in the same conference, reside in the same state, or compete for the same recruits with Colorado St.

Yeah completely different. There is no way Auburn would even want him to coach in the game.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL

Boy, this is a softball.

One is Colorado State. The other is Auburn. Two totally different circumstances with about 1 million reasons why we wouldn't want him *Smart* coaching our Bowl game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Boy, this is a softball.

One is Colorado State. The other is Auburn. Two totally different circumstances with about 1 million reasons why we wouldn't want him *Smart* coaching our Bowl game.
Then you lose on 1/7 - pretty simple. You guys (the fans) are not giving Smart enough credit for your success. Unplug him as you prepare for ND and you lose.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Then you lose on 1/7 - pretty simple. You guys (the fans) are not giving Smart enough credit for your success. Unplug him as you prepare for ND and you lose.
Not necessarily. Easy to say that, but we have a lot of confidence in CNS. We'll be fine with whatever his decision is.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Give me a break. Kirby won't be allowed to step foot in Tuscaloosa County once he accepts the job. They'll FedEx him his office stuff.

You can't have a guy recruit and plan for Auburn University for 11 hours a day and then try to do the same for Bama the other 12. It's a conflict of interest.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
Where do you think KS has learned what he knows? I believe he's still our head coach. Do you not think that CNS and the rest of the defensive staff could coach our defense to a win with 30+ days to prepare and do it.

On the flip side, I believe you are not giving CNS and the rest of the defensive staff enough credit.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
If he accepts the Auburn job, I think every 'Bama fan alive will take our chances with that. I think it's very naive to think ANY Bama fan would want to keep him on the staff if he accepts THAT job.
He can do whatever he wants and whats best for his own situation - Whatever. But if he does go to AU, I say the odds are at about 0 % he coaches the Bowl game.
Good luck to him whatever he decides.

Bama Fish 86-9

Scout Team
Aug 22, 2010
It sounds like it is a foregone conclusion that he is going to AU. Lets wait and see before we tar and feather him. I have to believe, until he shows me otherwise, that CKS is and will continue to be our DC. I believe that this is just practice in the interview process.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
It sounds like it is a foregone conclusion that he is going to AU. Lets wait and see before we tar and feather him. I have to believe, until he shows me otherwise, that CKS is and will continue to be our DC. I believe that this is just practice in the interview process.
Look, at the end of the day, Coach Smart has to do what is best for him and his family. Or, at least, what he believes is best for himself and his family.
I don't know how many of us Tidefans would tar and feather the guy - it's his life. He can live it and we should respect his decision for whatever he decides because he's been a huge piece of our success.
My point is if he accepts the Auburn job, there is no way on earth he stays at Bama through the Bowl game. Too many variables and a ton of conflicts of interest for him to stay and coach for another month, plus.
Anybody who believes otherwise, I think, has their head in the sand. While I believe it WOULD BE a big loss personnel-wise, I think it's ignorant to think we'd have NO SHOT in the NC game if he leaves.
If he does decide to go, thank you Coach Smart for what you've done. Good luck with your new job and in the future, but we don't need your services in the bowl game.
Am I alone on this one?

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
All of you stressing over this should calm down. If it was a big deal we would have heard from CNS by now. It's most likely just him practicing interviews, or maybe CNS told him to go do the interview to try to get another raise or to draw out other coaching offers from other schools.

Plus who are all of you to say he won't coach if he took the AU job? CNS may not have this hatred for Auburn that we do and may trust CKS to properly prepare his defense.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
The people at Auburn got exactly what they wanted. If this isn't true, they have their name in the media and causing a ruckus among the Alabama faithful...the week after we won the SEC. I still won't believe it till an official statement is made.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
This. Until I see something from something more credible, he is our DC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.