Atlanta radio host and former UGA QB Buck Belue: "Barrett Jones overrated"

RammerJammer91

1st Team
Nov 27, 2012
Re: Atlanta radio host and former UGA QB Buck Belue: "Barrett Jones overrated"

Try living in Athens and hearing their smack talk on a daily basis!!
I read that Athens, Georgia is one of the leaders for the most bars in one entire square mile (97) in the U.S. The irrational nature of some (not all) UGA fans combined with their insane alcohol intake must result in you being surrounded by such pleasant people ;)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I'll give Buck Belue credit for one thing sincerely. I thought it in 1980 and I still do......he has one of the best name's for a football player that I've ever heard.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX

Didn't former Vol QB Ainge pull a similar stunt the week before that game earlier this year? I don't remember what it was about but I remember him yappin on his radio show about something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He said the Vol's D needed to take out AJ's legs since this was after his leg issue I think against Ole Miss. He also popped off that thier O-Linemen needed to chop block our DT's. Real class. About like some of these Dawg homers.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

no issue here. of course he's gonna be a homer. 99% of us are
I'm a Bama homer but if I'm a media person I might not be able to hide my homerism but you don't have to take a shot at one of the opposing teams best players (on and off the field).

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

Just so you know our team is focused and is handling this as a business trip. Sound familiar? :)

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Just so you know our team is focused and is handling this as a business trip. Sound familiar? :)

I hope we get a post tomorrow evening from you. I enjoyed your last take after the LSU game.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

You know how even the best teams need a certain degree of luck to win a national title? That certainly was true for one of the worst teams to ever win a championship. From the "Lindsey Scott, Lindsey Scott" TD catch that season (his only TD catch that season) to having the greatest freshman running back in history, the 1980 Georigia Bulldogs won despite Buck Belue, not because of him. Some quarterbacks win games through talent, some through a combination of talent and leadership, some are just "game managers," and an occasional is hugely fortunate to have a player in the backfield so amazingly talented that no matter how poor a player the QB is, his team still wins. Buck Belue was the perfect example of the latter. Some of his season stats have already been posted. How about this bit of info from the Bulldog victory for the national championship over Notre Dame:

Passing
UGA: Belue 1-12-0, 7 yards (Yes, that is SEVEN whole yards)

Rushing
UGA: Walker 36-150, 2 TDs

Don't let anybody tell you that Belue was ever a great quarterback. His career as a performing football player reached its apex at Valdosta High School where he failed to lead any team to a state championship. He was a pampered child who made a career on the back of Herschel Walker.

He did play a bit better in the loss to Pitt in the 1982 Sugar Bowl. Here's his stat line from that game:

Passing
UGA: Belue 8-15-2, 83 yards (Note that of his 10 passes that were caught, 20% were by the opposing team. Thank goodness for Dan Marino, a truly talented quarterback who denied Georgia a second title.)

To be fair, Buck Belue must be taken seriously when he speaks of overrated players. One would be hard-pressed to find a more overrated player in the history of SEC football. Much like the recent lottery winners, Belue was in the right place at the right time. His lucky ticket had one number: 34.

Last edited:

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

I hope we get a post tomorrow evening from you. I enjoyed your last take after the LSU game.
I plan to but it will probably be more like Sunday. After dropping off the boys we don't land back in ATL until after midnight. I've never flown them home after a loss and sure hope I don't have to do so ANYTIME soon.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

I plan to but it will probably be more like Sunday. After dropping off the boys we don't land back in ATL until after midnight. I've never flown them home after a loss and sure hope I don't have to do so ANYTIME soon.
Then you are good luck. :) Have a safe trip after the game.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

I grew up over there and have some close friends that really know football. I can tell you they are certainly not feeling over confident. They think Georgia can play with Bama and they know they will have to play lights out to win.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA

It's too bad the concept of the Wildcat formation wasn't adequately implemented with Herschel. If it had been, then ol' Buck could have assumed his natural and appropriate place on the bench next to the waterboy. I think that he would have made an excellent ball inflator.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012

Is that the same idiot who does the Atlanta Braves pregame show? I wouldn't pay attention to anything he says.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
How YOU doin'? ;)

No surprise there. BAMA coming in on a business trip; the opponent coming in on the carnival train, riding the freak wagon with the bearded lady and the tranny midget rappers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.