Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Re: Atlanta radio host and former UGA QB Buck Belue: "Barrett Jones overrated"

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    In defense of Buck Belue, he played in a different era. I'd be very surprised to hear him say Barrett is overrated as he usually is just kidding around about that sort of thing. I've met him and talked Georgia and Bama football with him before. He's really a class act. You have to remember, he won with their only real national championship team back in 80. You have to understand that he's going to be a homer -- not to be a jerk but believe me Buck bleeds black and red. If you've listened to him over the years he has been very complimentary towards Bama. I have no animosity towards him. Yeah but I do admit, it will be good to beat those Dawgs tomorrow RTR!!!!
    No doubts. I'm going to be a homer as well. Buck picks at Barrett, Bamachile picks at Buck - nothing personal.
    “In the South everybody’s got a story, a long, elaborate, rambling, subordinate-clause-filled, possibly even entirely made-up story.”

—Diane Roberts, quoted in book review by Jay Watson
    in The Southern Register, Fall 2009

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TideFanAthensGA View Post
    Try living in Athens and hearing their smack talk on a daily basis!!
    I read that Athens, Georgia is one of the leaders for the most bars in one entire square mile (97) in the U.S. The irrational nature of some (not all) UGA fans combined with their insane alcohol intake must result in you being surrounded by such pleasant people

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll give Buck Belue credit for one thing sincerely. I thought it in 1980 and I still do......he has one of the best name's for a football player that I've ever heard.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

no issue here. of course he's gonna be a homer. 99% of us are

BamaNation All-American TexasTideFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    Didn't former Vol QB Ainge pull a similar stunt the week before that game earlier this year? I don't remember what it was about but I remember him yappin on his radio show about something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He said the Vol's D needed to take out AJ's legs since this was after his leg issue I think against Ole Miss. He also popped off that thier O-Linemen needed to chop block our DT's. Real class. About like some of these Dawg homers.

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gamersfuel View Post
    no issue here. of course he's gonna be a homer. 99% of us are
    I'm a Bama homer but if I'm a media person I might not be able to hide my homerism but you don't have to take a shot at one of the opposing teams best players (on and off the field).

BamaNation All-American TIDEnGA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Just so you know our team is focused and is handling this as a business trip. Sound familiar?

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDEnGA View Post
    Just so you know our team is focused and is handling this as a business trip. Sound familiar?

I hope we get a post tomorrow evening from you. I enjoyed your last take after the LSU game.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation First Team RollinTider1335's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Atlanta radio host and former UGA QB Buck Belue: "Barrett Jones overrated"

It has been my experience that people named "Buck" most of the time shouldn't be taken seriously anyway.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Wow! Buck Freaking Belue has the nads to call ANYONE overrated?
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

BamaNation First Team Huckleberry's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

You know how even the best teams need a certain degree of luck to win a national title? That certainly was true for one of the worst teams to ever win a championship. From the "Lindsey Scott, Lindsey Scott" TD catch that season (his only TD catch that season) to having the greatest freshman running back in history, the 1980 Georigia Bulldogs won despite Buck Belue, not because of him. Some quarterbacks win games through talent, some through a combination of talent and leadership, some are just "game managers," and an occasional is hugely fortunate to have a player in the backfield so amazingly talented that no matter how poor a player the QB is, his team still wins. Buck Belue was the perfect example of the latter. Some of his season stats have already been posted. How about this bit of info from the Bulldog victory for the national championship over Notre Dame:

Passing
    UGA: Belue 1-12-0, 7 yards (Yes, that is SEVEN whole yards)

Rushing
    UGA: Walker 36-150, 2 TDs

Don't let anybody tell you that Belue was ever a great quarterback. His career as a performing football player reached its apex at Valdosta High School where he failed to lead any team to a state championship. He was a pampered child who made a career on the back of Herschel Walker.

He did play a bit better in the loss to Pitt in the 1982 Sugar Bowl. Here's his stat line from that game:

Passing
    UGA: Belue 8-15-2, 83 yards (Note that of his 10 passes that were caught, 20% were by the opposing team. Thank goodness for Dan Marino, a truly talented quarterback who denied Georgia a second title.)

To be fair, Buck Belue must be taken seriously when he speaks of overrated players. One would be hard-pressed to find a more overrated player in the history of SEC football. Much like the recent lottery winners, Belue was in the right place at the right time. His lucky ticket had one number: 34.
    Last edited by Huckleberry; November 30th, 2012 at 07:37 PM.

BamaNation All-American TIDEnGA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideMom2Boys View Post
    I hope we get a post tomorrow evening from you. I enjoyed your last take after the LSU game.
    I plan to but it will probably be more like Sunday. After dropping off the boys we don't land back in ATL until after midnight. I've never flown them home after a loss and sure hope I don't have to do so ANYTIME soon.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDEnGA View Post
    I plan to but it will probably be more like Sunday. After dropping off the boys we don't land back in ATL until after midnight. I've never flown them home after a loss and sure hope I don't have to do so ANYTIME soon.
    Then you are good luck. Have a safe trip after the game.
    Roll Tide