Atlanta radio host and former UGA QB Buck Belue: "Barrett Jones overrated"

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
Re: Atlanta radio host and former UGA QB Buck Belue: "Barrett Jones overrated"

I can take that kind of overrating. Reading the UGA boards is sort of bizarro world. The vast majority feel that they're going to steamroller us. There're few who even think it'll be a game. I've never seen such a cocky fan base, especially being substantial underdogs. I hope the fans' attitudes have seeped into the team's psyches...
Welcome to my world.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I can take that kind of overrating. Reading the UGA boards is sort of bizarro world. The vast majority feel that they're going to steamroller us. There're few who even think it'll be a game. I've never seen such a cocky fan base, especially being substantial underdogs. I hope the fans' attitudes have seeped into the team's psyches...
Judging from the players' own comments, they have.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Earle, I've noticed over the years that teams and fans of those teams who trash talk or smack talk like Georgia has are hiding a secret fear that their going to get their butts handed to them once the game starts...lol

The last time I remember so much smack was from the Miami Hurricanes and their fan base before we showed them how to play football in the 92 Sugar Bowl.

sip

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012

Two of their best players were suspended for the South Carolina game.

No they weren't. Rambo and Ogletree came back the week before against Tennessee... when they gave up almost 500 yards and 44 points to a team Bama never let breathe.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Earle, I've noticed over the years that teams and fans of those teams who trash talk or smack talk like Georgia has are hiding a secret fear that their going to get their butts handed to them once the game starts...lol

The last time I remember so much smack was from the Miami Hurricanes and their fan base before we showed them how to play football in the 92 Sugar Bowl.

sip
A friend just PMed me that teams which are 7.5 pt underdogs lose 73% of the time... :D

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Two of their best players were suspended for the South Carolina game.
Unless it was Superman and The Incredible Hulk -- I find it hard to believe 2 players would be that impactful unless it was the QB and your Kicker

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)

I'm scared that in addition to having us so very overmatched, they'll break out the black jerseys again. That'll seal our doom right there.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Unless it was Superman and The Incredible Hulk -- I find it hard to believe 2 players would be that impactful unless it was the QB and your Kicker
as mentioned earlier, the suspended players were back for their wonderful performances against tennessee, s cal, and kentucky

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

AJ is certainly over rated when compared to Aaron Murray.

Look at these stellar statistics against the two top ten teams Aaron faced this season

Against South Carolina 11-31, 109 yards, 0 TD's, 1 interception

Against Florida 12-24, 150 yards, 1TD, 3 interceptions

That's 23-55 for 269 yards, 1TD and 4 interceptions in their biggest games this season. Hard to top that :)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I'm scared that in addition to having us so very overmatched, they'll break out the black jerseys again. That'll seal our doom right there.
it don't even take black jersey's to skeer me, them silver britches have me quaking in my boots ;)

Proxigean Tide

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Dover, DE

AJ is certainly over rated when compared to Aaron Murray.

Look at these stellar statistics against the two top ten teams Aaron faced this season

Against South Carolina 11-31, 109 yards, 0 TD's, 1 interception

Against Florida 12-24, 150 yards, 1TD, 3 interceptions

That's 23-55 for 269 yards, 1TD and 4 interceptions in their biggest games this season. Hard to top that :)
Against good competition...he comes up short.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Buck Belue's statistics, per Totalfootballstats.com

Year Lge Team Age # GP Comp Att % Yds TD INT TD% INT% Y/G Y/A RAT
1978 NCAA Georgia Bulldogs 7 14 28 50.0 228 1 3 3.6 10.7 32.6 8.1 108.8
1980 NCAA Georgia Bulldogs 11 77 156 49.4 1314 11 9 7.1 5.8 119.5 8.4 131.8
1981 NCAA Georgia Bulldogs 11 114 188 60.6 1603 12 9 6.4 4.8 145.7 8.5 143.8
1985 USFL Jacksonville Bulls 16 18 37 68 54.4 299 3 3 4.4 4.4 16.6 4.4 62.1

A.J. McCarron's stats, per ESPN

SEASON CMPATTYDSCMP%YPALNGTDINTSACKRAT

Buck's highest rating is below A.J.'s lowest rating. Look at those TD/Int ratios as well, and passing yardage to boot. I've gotta admit, it looks like Buck should know a thing or two about being overrated.
In defense of Buck Belue, he played in a different era. I'd be very surprised to hear him say Barrett is overrated as he usually is just kidding around about that sort of thing. I've met him and talked Georgia and Bama football with him before. He's really a class act. You have to remember, he won with their only real national championship team back in 80. You have to understand that he's going to be a homer -- not to be a jerk but believe me Buck bleeds black and red. If you've listened to him over the years he has been very complimentary towards Bama. I have no animosity towards him. Yeah but I do admit, it will be good to beat those Dawgs tomorrow RTR!!!!

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida

I guess it's easy for Buck Belue (who?) to say that being a QB and all. All he did was stand behind linemen, never actually on the line.

And how exactly does he come to this conclusion?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Against good competition...he comes up short.
Well, I think Murray's big game performances pretty much has determined what our game plan will be on defense. Lots of blitzes.
I think it's probably obvious to Coach Saban and staff that if you pressure him and can get into his head early that he really struggles against good teams. That's not a direct knock at Murray, most QB's have the same problem. But in all honesty if he has to make quick decisions he has tended to panic and turn the ball over. Against ranked teams since 2010 he has thrown 19 TD's but has also thrown 14 interceptions. Those turnovers are huge in big game scenarios.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

In defense of Buck Belue, he played in a different era. I'd be very surprised to hear him say Barrett is overrated as he usually is just kidding around about that sort of thing. I've met him and talked Georgia and Bama football with him before. He's really a class act. You have to remember, he won with their only real national championship team back in 80. You have to understand that he's going to be a homer -- not to be a jerk but believe me Buck bleeds black and red. If you've listened to him over the years he has been very complimentary towards Bama. I have no animosity towards him. Yeah but I do admit, it will be good to beat those Dawgs tomorrow RTR!!!!
No doubts. I'm going to be a homer as well. Buck picks at Barrett, Bamachile picks at Buck - nothing personal. :wink:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.