Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Big A Bama Hammer blog: Is a Loss to Georgia The End of an Era?

This blog by Kevin Connell on the bamahammer.com website caused me to reflect on the historic significance of tomorrow's game against Georgia:
    http://bamahammer.com/2012/11/30/ala...end-of-an-era/.

Let me say at the outset that I expect Alabama to beat Georgia. Still, college football games seldom come with a higher upside for the winner and a lower downside for the loser than tomorrow's SECCG. If Alabama beats Georgia, and goes on to beat Notre Dame in the BCSNC game, all of Alabama's historically significant football rivals will, in some manner, have been vanquished (at least for now) under Nick Saban's tenure. During the Saban era, the Auburn "streak" ended and Tuberville fled the state. Tennessee now occupies the bottom quarter of the SEC, and the Great Pumpkin no longer coaches. The Tide took down Texas - a team Alabama had never before beaten - and in Pasadena of all places. Hercules had 12 labors, but it seems to me that Nick Saban has only one major exorcism left to perform at Alabama and that involves Notre Dame. In the Hercules legend, the 12th labor - kidnapping the beast called Cerberus from the Underworld - was the most dangerous of all since no mortal had ever returned from Hades alive. Godspeed to Nick!
    Last edited by Quicksilver; November 30th, 2012 at 09:44 PM.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Bama Hammer blog: Is a Loss to Georgia The End of an Era?

That's good stuff!

Re: Bama Hammer blog: Is a Loss to Georgia The End of an Era?

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    That's good stuff!
    Thank you, sir!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jessica4Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I don't think we will fall back into medicroriy anytime soon especially with CNS at the helm. Sure a 2010 type season may happen every few years, but we get the cream of the crop usually in players. As long as Saban is here, we have a chance at extending this era of awesomeness.
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. - 2 Corinthians 4:18

To worship You, I live
    To worship You, I live
    I live to worship You. -
    Israel Houghton

BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar

The UGA loss in 2008 couldn't be the end of an era when there wasn't an era to begin with. They had a few good season in Richt's early years but certainly not "era" worthy.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

I don't know what "era" would be ending. If we lose it would be a loss. That's it. It would have no indication or influence whether we'd get back the next season or not. Granted, this is a big game but it's not that dang big. LOL!
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar
    My Mood
    Stressed on TideFans.com

It would be the end of the "Georgia = Massive Underachievers" era, I suppose.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

The season suddenly seems so mythical... hope this labor doesn't require being half-immortal as Hercules was!
    Discipline.
    Commitment.
    Effort.
    Toughness.
    Pride.
    (http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20100201/news/100209986)

The “era” that the author is referring to is the Saban era, at Alabama. He is raising the prospect of Alabama fading from SEC preeminence by losing to Georgia tomorrow, in a way analogous to Florida’s being replaced as the supreme SEC power by Alabama in 2009. I am not, by the way, agreeing necessarily that this is an accurate comparison. I’m just interpreting the author’s meaning.

My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    The “era” that the author is referring to is the Saban era, at Alabama. He is raising the prospect of Alabama fading from SEC preeminence by losing to Georgia tomorrow, in a way analogous to Florida’s being replaced as the supreme SEC power by Alabama in 2009. I am not, by the way, agreeing necessarily that this is an accurate comparison. I’m just interpreting the author’s meaning.
    If thats what he means then I would almost be inclined to call him an idiot. This "ain't" that big of a game and our recruiting and youngsters who have played this year say otherwise, even if we lose.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    He also says our beating UGA in 2008 was the end of an era, but it wasn't.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by colbysullivan View Post
    He also says our beating UGA in 2008 was the end of an era, but it wasn't.
    Yeah, UGA was pretty good back then but nowhere near what Florida did, not to mention Bama, which is doing something no team has done. Five straight years #1 in the mix for the BCS year in and out. What will the rest do when we go back to back?!

My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Yeah, UGA was pretty good back then but nowhere near what Florida did, not to mention Bama, which is doing something no team has done. Five straight years #1 in the mix for the BCS year in and out. What will the rest do when we go back to back?!
    Put us on sanctions.