Bama Hammer blog: Is a Loss to Georgia The End of an Era?

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
This blog by Kevin Connell on the bamahammer.com website caused me to reflect on the historic significance of tomorrow's game against Georgia:
http://bamahammer.com/2012/11/30/alabama-football-is-a-loss-to-georgia-the-end-of-an-era/.

Let me say at the outset that I expect Alabama to beat Georgia. Still, college football games seldom come with a higher upside for the winner and a lower downside for the loser than tomorrow's SECCG. If Alabama beats Georgia, and goes on to beat Notre Dame in the BCSNC game, all of Alabama's historically significant football rivals will, in some manner, have been vanquished (at least for now) under Nick Saban's tenure. During the Saban era, the Auburn "streak" ended and Tuberville fled the state. Tennessee now occupies the bottom quarter of the SEC, and the Great Pumpkin no longer coaches. The Tide took down Texas - a team Alabama had never before beaten - and in Pasadena of all places. Hercules had 12 labors, but it seems to me that Nick Saban has only one major exorcism left to perform at Alabama and that involves Notre Dame. In the Hercules legend, the 12th labor - kidnapping the beast called Cerberus from the Underworld - was the most dangerous of all since no mortal had ever returned from Hades alive. Godspeed to Nick!

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I don't think we will fall back into medicroriy anytime soon especially with CNS at the helm. Sure a 2010 type season may happen every few years, but we get the cream of the crop usually in players. As long as Saban is here, we have a chance at extending this era of awesomeness. ;)

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
The UGA loss in 2008 couldn't be the end of an era when there wasn't an era to begin with. They had a few good season in Richt's early years but certainly not "era" worthy.

DCETP

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2012
The season suddenly seems so mythical... hope this labor doesn't require being half-immortal as Hercules was!

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
The “era” that the author is referring to is the Saban era, at Alabama. He is raising the prospect of Alabama fading from SEC preeminence by losing to Georgia tomorrow, in a way analogous to Florida’s being replaced as the supreme SEC power by Alabama in 2009. I am not, by the way, agreeing necessarily that this is an accurate comparison. I’m just interpreting the author’s meaning.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The “era” that the author is referring to is the Saban era, at Alabama. He is raising the prospect of Alabama fading from SEC preeminence by losing to Georgia tomorrow, in a way analogous to Florida’s being replaced as the supreme SEC power by Alabama in 2009. I am not, by the way, agreeing necessarily that this is an accurate comparison. I’m just interpreting the author’s meaning.
If thats what he means then I would almost be inclined to call him an idiot. This "ain't" that big of a game and our recruiting and youngsters who have played this year say otherwise, even if we lose.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
He also says our beating UGA in 2008 was the end of an era, but it wasn't.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
No the era doesn't end with a loss. This was a reloading year and worse case, 12-2 and a top 7 ranking 99.9% of teams would die for...

Next year's team could have the most explosive group of receivers we have ever had. Black, Cooper, Bell, Norwood, White & Jones. The RB's with Yeldon, Drake and the group coming in could be better than Ingram and Trent in 2009. The Oline will be excellent with Aries, Cyrus, Steen and whoever replace Jones
& Fluker should he go pro.

The LB's will be deep and experienced. The secondary, our weak link will have experience at SS/FS with Perry, HaHa, and Collins. CB will be in good hands with Gino & Belue . Fulton & Vinny when we go star & dime. The big boys upfront will be fine too.

bnhonest

All-SEC
May 28, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Al, USA
There may have been some that fully expected us to be in this position, in the SECCG, with a chance to play for the BCSCG. I was not one of them. I felt like we would have some fall off defensively which would have caused us to drop a couple games. But we are here. If we lose, I certainly wont feel like there is a end of an era. I think we will be better next year. If we win and then beat ND for the gold, that will be gravy, IMHO.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
The Florida "era" can be directly attributed to Tebow. And they did have a heck of a run.
Alabama has been ranked #1 in 5 consecutive years (at least partly) with 3 different QB's. That is impressive.
I guess it is similar to when Joe Gibbs won 3 SB's with three different QB's.
It is a testament to the program.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
Interesting stuff. During my weaker moments I think that this game certainly has its watershed potential and that it could play out in a passing the torch-way as in the 2009 conference championship game. And I get the feeling we will know pretty early in this game whether or not that will be the case.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Interesting stuff. During my weaker moments I think that this game certainly has its watershed potential and that it could play out in a passing the torch-way as in the 2009 conference championship game. And I get the feeling we will know pretty early in this game whether or not that will be the case.
Very well said. IMO a loss today would validate my early season prediction 11-2. This was based on having to replace a boatload of very talented and experienced defensive players. A loss today in no way diminishes what this team and CNS has accomplished this year, it will simply mean we were outplayed by an equally talented team. A loss today does not signal the end of an era for CNS or the beginning of the Richt era; it means sometimes you lose.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.