BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    Recipes
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Ask Defensive coordinators who have gone on to big time success in college football

I had an interesting discussion yesterday regarding coaching booms and busts. The question was: How many college football defensive coordinators have gone on to big time success as a head coach?

We could only come up with a handful from recent memory. Bob Stoops has won conference titles, a BCS title and been to BCS bowl games. Charlie Strong will go to the Orange Bowl. Will Muschamp still has a lot to prove but looks promising. Bo Pelini has struggled somewhat.

The most successful--Nick Saban--was a DC in the NFL but never coordinated a college defense.

Ellis Johnson was a failure. Gene Chizik crashed and burned. Mike Dubose... well.

What's your sense? Are DC's more likely to be busts as head coaches?
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

2. Advertisement

Re: Defensive coordinators who have gone on to big time success in college football

It's worth noting that Dubose only served as DC for a year or two. Until then, he'd only coached DL. He basically leapfrogged from DL to HC. One interesting parallel between Dubose and Chizik is that both started meddling with the offense as their plights grew more desperate. In Dubose's case, they would practice one gameplan all week long and he would stay up all Friday night tearing it up and drawing a new one up, which he would spring on the assistants and players on Saturday AM. It showed in the games...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation First Team tidefan26's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Defensive coordinators who have gone on to big time success in college football

And we still had a nice '99 season. Makes you wonder how good that team really was to be able to adjust to that and still execute and win at a high level. La Tech excluded.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Sic semper tyrannis

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Jimmy Johnson was a defensive coordinator before winning big at Miami.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Ellis Johnson, Eugene Chizik, Michael Dubose are all great examples of 'The Peter Principal'.
    OR
    As Clint Eastwood put it... ' A mans just got to know his limitations '...

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Tubs was a DC at TAMU and Miami. No NC but a reasonably good résumé.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Pretty sure DCs have had as much success, if not more than OCs.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by tidefan26 View Post
    And we still had a nice '99 season. Makes you wonder how good that team really was to be able to adjust to that and still execute and win at a high level. La Tech excluded.

He didn't really start to do that until his last year, just like Chizik. Both of them were crazy, each in his own way, to think they could improve the offense...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Other successful defensive coordinators that became head coaches:

Lloyd Carr
    Butch Davis
    Pete Carroll
    Don James
    Gary Patterson

Some prominent coaches that were OC's:

Tom Osborne
    Barry Switzer
    Bobby Bowden
    Phillip Fulmer
    Steve Spurrier
    Dennis Erickson
    Howard Schnellenberger
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by tidefan26 View Post

We had players like Shaun Alexander and Chris Samuels who seemed to be the glue that held the teams together. Had we not had them, I wonder if we'd have had the success we did. Much like Chizik's success with scam and fairley. Not that they were "glue" in terms of being team leaders, but they were the reason for the success barnie had in 2010.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride--and never quit--you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards." Coach Paul Bryant

BamaNation Second Team
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Would any one agree that Tubs and Cheez sunk the ship by meddling with the O to get out of the Barn. Looked like it to me.
    Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    - General George Patton

BamaNation All-American bamabryan's Avatar

I think Gary Patterson has done an outstanding job at TCU. He does not have any national championship trophies in the trophy case, but we are talking about TCU. I think he's done a great job.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson_Knight View Post
    Would any one agree that Tubs and Cheez sunk the ship by meddling with the O to get out of the Barn. Looked like it to me.

the tubbs situation is much deeper than that. he purposely sunk that ship on his way out that final season.