Murray was hit CLEAN by Dial. After an interception quarterback becomes a DEFENDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
The SEC can suspend Dial if they suspend the Georgia player.

They can suspend Dial the day they announce that there was no tipped ball causing the 4th down FG, which was blocked.
Agree. Danielson would not give that up either. Do you recall him saying several times that it was tipped like he was trying to convince everyone as well as himself. Then top it all off, he brings it up later and says he went to the replay official during commercial and confirmed it. If he and that replay official thinks that ball was tipped, both are blind or biased.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I disagree. First contact was with the shoulder. It's visibly clear his shoulder hits Murray before his helmet does. He's leading in with his shoulder - as he's taught when blocking on a return, shoulder hits first, and because of the angle (as stated before, he's much bigger than Murray) makes contact via helmet as well. In my opinion (and, obviously, in the opinion of the refs), the helmet contact is incidental. The viciousness of the hit comes from the shoulder. Had the helmets not hit each other, NO ONE would be claiming that block was unnecessary or "too vicious." Just that it was an incredible block that 'killed' the defender.

We can all argue until we're blue in the face; but the fact is, there was no penalty called. And, with all of the concern over 'unnecessary, vicious head shots,' the no-call speaks volumes as to it's legality.

And, IF that had happened to McCarron, I would feel the same way. It's football; not a dance recital.
I dont believe he will be suspended for the block, but I do think it wasnt necessary...especially since Murray was just walking along and watching the play, he had no intention of being involved.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Agree. Danielson would not give that up either. Do you recall him saying several times that it was tipped like he was trying to convince everyone as well as himself. Then top it all off, he brings it up later and says he went to the replay official during commercial and confirmed it. If he and that replay official thinks that ball was tipped, both are blind or biased.
The SEC may suspend him if they believe through review that he led with his helmet at Murray.
I'm not sure one way or another from looking at the play, but I have seen less called as targeting.

we'll see...i hope not.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Do you recall him saying several times that it was tipped like he was trying to convince everyone as well as himself. Then top it all off, he brings it up later and says he went to the replay official during commercial and confirmed it. If he and that replay official thinks that ball was tipped, both are blind or biased.
LOL. Pretty sure that isn't how it went down. Watched the replay a couple of time and don't remember any of that.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I dont believe he will be suspended for the block, but I do think it wasnt necessary...especially since Murray was just walking along and watching the play, he had no intention of being involved.
I guess I'll have to go back and watch it - I recall Murray jogging towards HaHa and being 5 or so yards away when Dial hit him.

I was surprised Dial wasn't flagged at that time and am not surprised by the SEC ruling, personally.

I have no idea if he gets suspended or not - wouldn't surprise me either way considering some of the other suspensions so far this season by the SEC.

ETA: yah, not like Murray was across the field or even potentially out of the play.

Last edited:

CrimsonForever1

3rd Team
Aug 22, 2012
What the heck has happened to my favorite game of football????? I am crippled today because of my playing in the 60`s, but I certainly am not crying to mama about it!!! A late hit is one thing, but a mere block or tackle with the helmet or not is the risks you have to endure..... If you are afraid to get hurt, or your momma or daddy don`t want you to get hurt, DON`T PLAY!!!! I know my statement will not be a popular one, but it`s FOOTBALL for goodness sakes!!!! I have seen knees blown out, broken limbs, concussions and paralizations on seemingless harmless tackles or blocks and or even when non hits take place.... When Kent Waldrep was paralized in the 70`s, nothing about that play was illegal or unusual.... You, or whoever you are, pantywaists don`t like to see injuries, don`t watch, and for God`s sake don`t play.... I was burned to a crispy critter by an explosion on my job knowing the dangers of that might happen, but when I healed, I went back and worked the same job for 30 more years.... I did not sue, even though I could have.... I did not quit, even though I could have, and I did not go crying to my mommie.... I understand the rules now of football, but there are certain rules that should have never been implemented.... Someone is ruining MY sport!!!!! I did not to have male child, I have one grown daughter.... But if I had a son, he would have played the game knowing the risks with my approval.... 5 years ago while doing this cheer thing, my grandaughter while doing a pyramid stunt, fell on her head and had a concussion, she could have broken her neck or paralized for that matter... She was lucky, but her and her mom and dad knew the risks, but it was what she wanted to do even with the risks.... Having said all of that, I believe in adhering to the rules.... I just do not like the certain rules implemented..... Go ahead now and give me your full 360 degree assault!!!:cool2:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Unfortunately, based on the wording of the rule the SEC has used to suspend players earlier in the year and the fact they made an announcement that they were review this specific play, I have a bad feeling he will be suspended. If you are the SEC office, why call all this attention to this one play if it is just part of the normal review process. To much whining by the CBS idiots, especially Brando who continued the whine fest on his show to day, will be the true reason for this suspension. I hope I'm wrong but, I've got a bad feeling about this ruling.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I thought it was a legit hit. Seemed like he led with the shoulder. Seemed like he hit him in the chest. The play was coming to the area. Murray was starting towards it and presumably would have tried to tackle HaHa if he had reached him. Looked like a good block to me. Don't see what the big deal is.
Dial might be quite a bit taller than Murray, but that doesn't mean hitting high (especially helmet hitting helmet) is going to be allowed in a block. I think Dial was high, though as I've previously said I also believe he led with his shoulder. That said, he did hit him high, which is why I was surprised he didn't get flagged.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Totally agree, but leading with the shoulder rather than the helmet isn't much of a mitigating factor when the SEC determines suspensions. The rule the SEC uses is the following, "No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, elbow or shoulder."

I do think that Dial was targeting the body and not the head, but like you and others have pointed out, it's really hard not to hit above the shoulders when there is a 6 inch height difference.

It seems like Shaw shouldn't have commented with such conviction unless he was going to also define exactly how the SEC interprets the "defenseless player" rule.
The NCAA defines one as "one who because his physical position and focus of concentration is especially vulnerable to injury." So, it appears to me, that the only way you can prevent a distracted player from being "defenseless" is to yell "Here I come" at the top of your lungs...

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Second time this year the CBS crew has endlessly lobbied for an Alabama player to be suspended. A Georgia player was flagged for above the shoulder contact with McCarron. No one said anything about suspending him. Will the SEC review a Georgia player trying to poke an Alabama player in the eye after a play? Verne and Gary are deafeningly silent about that, as well.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Dial might be quite a bit taller than Murray, but that doesn't mean hitting high (especially helmet hitting helmet) is going to be allowed in a block. I think Dial was high, though as I've previously said I also believe he led with his shoulder. That said, he did hit him high, which is why I was surprised he didn't get flagged.
Best reason I can figure is Ritter saw a player, not Aaron Murray, go flying. Had he realized the hit was on Murray, I'm sure he would have immediately thrown the flag. The outcry isn't over the hit. It's over the hit being on Murray IMO.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Best reason I can figure is Ritter saw a player, not Aaron Murray, go flying. Had he realized the hit was on Murray, I'm sure he would have immediately thrown the flag. The outcry isn't over the hit. It's over the hit being on Murray IMO.
Exactly! If this was any other of the 10 players this would not be a story. That alone should tell you if the hit was legal or not.

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
Without reading the 16 pages of this thread I will give my opinion. The whole time I was saying it was a block. Gary and Verne are just idiots for keeping on about it.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The outcry isn't over the hit. It's over the hit being on Murray IMO.
Which is just crazy, isn't it. A football player is a football player. What, do QBs only wear half a shoulder pad or something.

Murray was no longer a QB at that point, he was on defense which should mean he gets no special protection. You see players level defensive players with down-field blocks like that all the time and every one ooos and ahhs. Poor little defenseless Murray gets hit and suddenly it is the worst no call in the history of college football. Something like this was building all week with the way the media was holding Murray up before the game. Murray stood in the middle of the highway and got leveled by and a truck and everyone wants to blame the truck. Murray was the one who forgot to play football.

Last edited:

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Good thing Quinton wasn't ejected for that (and in my opinion, he should NOT have been) because he was the peacemaker that pulled Milliner away from the dirty dawg that tried to blind him later in the game. I wonder if the SEC will consider that in their assessment of 'intent'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.