Murray was hit CLEAN by Dial. After an interception quarterback becomes a DEFENDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I can't believe we've gone 22 pages, shown video, explained rules, had gifs created, and people still think it should be a flag.
One silver lining is that CBS knows that our fan base strongly disproves of Gary Danielson's hyper discussion of the play, his decision to contact the refs during the game as well as the continued talk during the half time show. It was hysteria on their part I suppose due to the head injury hype, but it was unprofessional. They may act like they don't care, but somewhere I believe they do.

markenk

1st Team
Aug 3, 2003
England
The hit was clean and perfectly within the rules, but I wouldn't have been surprised to see a flag on the field with the way every official and media member trying to jump on the bandwagon of protecting the QBs. I've seen some ridiculous cases, worse than what Dial did, where a flag was thrown just because the QB was knocked down. It's just the way the game of football is being played now.

It wasn't malicious, it wasn't illegal.if it was AJ I would think the same. I would have been upset but i would think the same. On the kick block return for a TD, there was a UGA player that went after AJ, AJ got out of the play as quickly as possible. Murray ran towards the play while in process. He was legal and so was the hit.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
CBS/Danielson/Brando/Barnhardt have blown this totally out of proportion...it's been said a couple of them went to the officials at halftime to report the missed call to the officials. Also that Barnhardt or Brando, not sure which, sent an email to the SEC office telling them he should be suspended?...good grief.
Brando and the rest need to decide if they want to be activists or reporters/analysts.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Before you decide he wasn't "defenseless," you need to pay attention to the half of the NCAA definition which states "focus of concentration." It appears to me, stupid as it sounds, that any distracted player is "defenseless..."
I don't think he was defenseless but you're right the verbiage gives a lot to interpret.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Don't want to see Dail get suspended but I think there should have been a flag for helmet to helmet contact.
If it would have been AJ I think most on here would have wanted a flag.
(Nothing against you here rja, just throwing in a bit of my view) Three things here: 1) I don't think it was helmet to helmet, the angle isn't the best for determining that, 2) AJ wouldn't have made such a crappy throw, 3) assuming AJ would have, if he's going to run over there and stick his nose in the play, he put himself in harms way, so he'd best be wide awake. You are correct in that I wouldn't have liked it, but I wouldn't be lobbying for relief days later. Thus far, unless it snuck past me, I haven't heard Murray complaining, at least openly. If the qb deosn't want to get hit, go away from the play. If Dial had gone across the field, against the flow of play, to hit Murray, then I'd be for a flag.

This whole protecting the qb and/or supposed defenseless wr's needs work. If these type penalties are going to get called; then the rule also needs to apply on peel back blocks. If this whole thing is about player safety, then defenseless is defenseless... regardless of the position you play.

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
“I knew I was fine, I just had the wind knocked out of me,” he said. “It wasn’t anything to do with the head. I just couldn’t breathe for a few seconds.”

Quote from Murray, himself.

Roll Tide

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Brando's job allows him a fair bit of leeway in making opinions. The issue is that his outlook tends to be either contrarian for its own sake or outwardly anti-Bama.
I agree that his radio gig gives him that leeway, but his job as the host of CBS college football does not.

It is puzzling that both CBS and the SEC allow the host to actively campaign to damage their product. If the host of Notre Dame's football show on NBC behaved like Brando, he'd be fired the next day.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I agree that his radio gig gives him that leeway, but his job as the host of CBS college football does not.

It is puzzling that both CBS and the SEC allow the host to actively campaign to damage their product. If the host of Notre Dame's football show on NBC behaved like Brando, he'd be fired the next day.
Look, I dislike Brando as much as the next guy - maybe more - but his CBS gig allows him to do this. Rece Davis brings up topics all the time, as do the hosts of the NFL shows, etc. The issue what Brando brings up and how he moderates the discussion.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Regardless of whether the contact is/was construed to be legal or illegal at the time; it is not within the purview of announcers or the media to bring it to the attention of the officiating crew.

rja4bama

3rd Team
Feb 12, 2004
meridianville al.
al.com
(Nothing against you here rja, just throwing in a bit of my view) Three things here: 1) I don't think it was helmet to helmet, the angle isn't the best for determining that, 2) AJ wouldn't have made such a crappy throw, 3) assuming AJ would have, if he's going to run over there and stick his nose in the play, he put himself in harms way, so he'd best be wide awake. You are correct in that I wouldn't have liked it, but I wouldn't be lobbying for relief days later. Thus far, unless it snuck past me, I haven't heard Murray complaining, at least openly. If the qb deosn't want to get hit, go away from the play. If Dial had gone across the field, against the flow of play, to hit Murray, then I'd be for a flag.

This whole protecting the qb and/or supposed defenseless wr's needs work. If these type penalties are going to get called; then the rule also needs to apply on peel back blocks. If this whole thing is about player safety, then defenseless is defenseless... regardless of the position you play.
I agree it has gotten a little out of hand trying to protect the qb and wr's but that's the rules they have now.
I feel they should let them play football but I know they are trying to protect them from head injury.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
“I knew I was fine, I just had the wind knocked out of me,” he said. “It wasn’t anything to do with the head. I just couldn’t breathe for a few seconds.”

Quote from Murray, himself.

Roll Tide

Well...that makes Shaw look like a complete idiot. Maybe he should retire or at least be suspended for "knocking a defenseless player" -- his statements today were quite irresponsible, especially since the video has yet to be studied by the SEC office and apparently himself.

Last edited:

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
I don't think Murray meets the definition of a defenseless player in the play based on the examples given by the NCAA. IMO, he was running with a purpose to engage Ha-Ha if he got past that group of defenders. Otherwise, why would he be running that way (toward the BAMA sideline)?

I did not like this rule when the SEC announced it this year. Even if it was a play that should have drawn a flag (which I don't believe it was), how is is fair that a player should have to sit out an entire game because of the ineptitude of the officials calling the game? I can justify the suspension if the hit was malicious with an intent to do harm, particularly if it is not part of an ongoing play. But in other situations, there should be other forms of punishment available to be levied against the player or team.

I may could understand the SEC suspending a player if a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty occurred and the refs did not see it because the view was blocked but definitely not in a situation where an official is right on top of the play. In this case suspend the officiating crew.

I possibly could be persuaded to agree with this rule if the foul occurred during a game where the SEC had no control over the officiating (a non-conference game like the 2 other suspensions this season). But in the SECCG which will determine who goes to the BCSCG and where they have total control over everything, the SEC should have assigned the best crew or the best official at each position, instead of Tom Ritter and his crew. In a game of this magnitude on a national stage you should expect the best of everything that the SEC has to offer, including the officiating.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
Well...that makes Shaw look like a complete idiot. Maybe he should retire or at least be suspended for "knocking a defenseless player" -- his statements today were quite irresponsible, especially since the video has yet to be studied by the SEC office and apparently himself.
I totally agree with this statement. Looks like he bowed down to pressure from the CBS announcers. If he doesn't know whether Murray is defenseless or not and hasn't reviewed the film, how does he know that flag should have been thrown?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Guys, I keep having to post this over and over, but in the actual NCAA rule defining a "defenseless player" his "focus of concentration" is one of two factors. Maybe I should start a thread with that as the title, since none of my other posts are being read...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.