Murray was hit CLEAN by Dial. After an interception quarterback becomes a DEFENDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

BornABamaFan

2nd Team
Nov 22, 2011
Brandon,MS
Here's the best view I've seen yet..Murray running towards the play clearly puts himself into harms way by doing so..Dial led with his shoulder..Not his helmet..It was a hard slobber knocking hit no doubt..But..If Murray didn't run towards the play like he was going in for the tackle & he was pretty close to the ball carrier..He wouldn't have had his world lit up..Dial was in the right & broke no rules..

Best view of this play I've seen yet, both Murray and #4 were headed in the same direction--TOWARDS THE BALL! Clinton-Dix was one step from being in the space created by that hit/block/explosion whatever you want to call it. What was Dial supposed to do? Nothing.... #4 is just lucky that Murray beat him there, otherwise Dial woud have put that hit on him. This would not even be a discussion as far as suspensions go if #4 had taken the lick. The replay on TV just showed the impact of the hit and not the full play like this video does. Notice the tension in Dial's right arm as he leans towards Murray as opposed to his left arm. His right arm is flexed for one reason, and one reason only, he knows the brunt of the hit for him is gonna be taken in his right arm & SHOULDER which is exactly the part of body he used(then the release of tension in his right arm after the hit is OBVIOUS)--not helmet to helmet...... I wonder how malicious the hit on AJ would have looked had we watched it over & over & over. JMO

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Guys, I keep having to post this over and over, but in the actual NCAA rule defining a "defenseless player" his "focus of concentration" is one of two factors. Maybe I should start a thread with that as the title, since none of my other posts are being read...
They are being read (and agreed with) but there is more than just the vague definition to consider. The examples provide illumination into the intent of the letter of the rule. Whether the ruling bodies feel they should be limited by the examples is far from clear, but they are relevant to the discussion.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Guys, I keep having to post this over and over, but in the actual NCAA rule defining a "defenseless player" his "focus of concentration" is one of two factors. Maybe I should start a thread with that as the title, since none of my other posts are being read...
It seems to me the intent of the rule is obviously to protect a player who is engaged in an act that would preclude him from being aware of his surroundings and therefore he would be unable to protect himself from the hit. See the examples given by the rule itself.

In this case, nothing Murray is doing precludes him from being aware of his surroundings.

The rule does not seem to be intended to protect a player from being stupid.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Most of the "hoopla" surrounding this hit is because Murray is a QB. QB's are protected more than other players. They have been for years. You can argue all day whether the hit was legal or illegal, whether Murray was defenseless or not, or what Dials intentions were, but 9 out of 10 times these days, when a QB takes a shot like that, its going to draw a flag. If that were AJ and Jarvis Jones, every Bama fan would expect a flag. It's kind of hypocritical to say "well, since it's Aaron Murray and Quinton Dial it's a good legal hit". UGA fans are harping on it because they lost the game and that's all they've got left to hold onto. Bama fans are just trying to defend Bama players. It was a split-second decision by a player in a violent game. It didn't affect the outcome of the game. It's over. I don't think Dial should be suspended, but I'm pretty sure they're not gonna ask me what I think about it. We'll have to live with whatever happens...and bring home #15.

tripler1

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
play wasnt over while dial was looking to make the hit, however it was clear that murray sure thought it was. cheap shot.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Ultimately I think they will go to a simplified rule much like they did with the face mask penalty. Instead of an inadvertent or intentional judgement call the NCAA simply changed it to "If you grab the face mask it's 15 yards".
I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see a rule that reads something like, "Any blindside block above the shoulders is a penalty".
What's amazing to me is that the NCAA actually forced the higher tackling and blocking techniques many years ago when, because of a rash of knee injuries they made it practically illegal to tackle or block anyone below the waist. It's an ever evolving game I guess.

play wasnt over while dial was looking to make the hit, however it was clear that murray sure thought it was. cheap shot.
So just because he thought it was its a cheap shot?! I guess just because Georgia thought they had Alabama they won too right?! Fact of the matter is he was running to the play got popped while in it was going and got up and played more football. He said it didn't have anything to do with his head.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Slive wanted us to accept much tougher sanctions than the ones we proposed (and which were finally accepted, with minor exceptions). We ignored him and sent a high-level delegation to Indy to argue our case directly...
Just now saw this. thanks.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
Most of the "hoopla" surrounding this hit is because Murray is a QB. QB's are protected more than other players. They have been for years. You can argue all day whether the hit was legal or illegal, whether Murray was defenseless or not, or what Dials intentions were, but 9 out of 10 times these days, when a QB takes a shot like that, its going to draw a flag. If that were AJ and Jarvis Jones, every Bama fan would expect a flag. It's kind of hypocritical to say "well, since it's Aaron Murray and Quinton Dial it's a good legal hit". UGA fans are harping on it because they lost the game and that's all they've got left to hold onto. Bama fans are just trying to defend Bama players. It was a split-second decision by a player in a violent game. It didn't affect the outcome of the game. It's over. I don't think Dial should be suspended, but I'm pretty sure they're not gonna ask me what I think about it. We'll have to live with whatever happens...and bring home #15.
If it went the other way, I would be screaming that AJ needs to pull his head out of a certain place of his anatomy, and get it in the game. If you don't want to get hit, don't run towards the man with the ball. You have to be aware of where you are on the field.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Ultimately I think they will go to a simplified rule much like they did with the face mask penalty. Instead of an inadvertent or intentional judgement call the NCAA simply changed it to "If you grab the face mask it's 15 yards".
I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see a rule that reads something like, "Any blindside block above the shoulders is a penalty".
What's amazing to me is that the NCAA actually forced the higher tackling and blocking techniques many years ago when, because of a rash of knee injuries they made it practically illegal to tackle or block anyone below the waist. It's an ever evolving game I guess.
At this rate we'll soon be calling balls and strikes on blocks and tackles.

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
Perhaps there should be focus on distinguishing a "defenseless player" from a player behaving defenselessly. The former is easily defined. The later needs proof of intention, i.e., truly dazed while standing versus intending to deceive in order to draw a penalty. As the rules for calling a reception for the receiver require a very high standard of proof, I would gather that a player behaving defenselessly would also require such a high standard as well.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Has anything else come of this from the SEC offices? I havent seen where anything else was said in regards to it, so was just curious.

Hopefully theres no suspension, and Im not sure one way or another regarding the hit...I do think that based on the play, it wasnt necessary...I know it was just a player being aggressive, but I also think he saw a chance to take a shot on the QB, thats fine,...just dont do it on a play that has the potential to cost 15 yards (which this one could easily have done).

from a team standpoint, the hit really didnt seem necessary and had the potential to draw a flag if an official saw it. the goal was to make sure that Murray wouldnt affect the play, it didnt require that hit. I bet Saban will teach that point; Just Dont put the game in the hands of the officials, because they'll almost always err towards player safety.

Just play smart.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Those if you with TiVo, go back and watch the play from the beginning. Watch how close Murray is to the play then tell me Murray was no where close to that play. As soon as the tackle happens you'll see Dial flattening Murray, who is very close to the play at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.