Murray was hit CLEAN by Dial. After an interception quarterback becomes a DEFENDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
With only one view of the hit, Gary was being quite irresponsible with his extreme criticism. It's clear that he didn't want Bama to win. Nevertheless, it looked like a clean hit to me.
Yep and he will refuse to say he was wrong too. He had the whole commercial break to look at it and they still decided to blast Dial for it.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Yep and he will refuse to say he was wrong too. He had the whole commercial break to look at it and they still decided to blast Dial for it.
They had the entire halftime to look at it, and they still harped on it. That's what got me, all the things they could have discussed to start the 2nd half, they spend a good 5 minutes discussing that. It was worthless bantering, and I'm thankful that the SEC front office isn't afraid to let the players play unlike the NFL.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
They had the entire halftime to look at it, and they still harped on it. That's what got me, all the things they could have discussed to start the 2nd half, they spend a good 5 minutes discussing that. It was worthless bantering, and I'm thankful that the SEC front office isn't afraid to let the players play unlike the NFL.
Yep and it's a shame too about them having that much time and still taking the shot at Dial. If it was such a bad play the ref standing right there watching the whole thing would have flagged Dial and he didn't. That should have been their first hint, but them two goofs decided to put the ref on blast as well. Man I hope ESPN gets the next contract!

JDog

2nd Team
Nov 11, 2006
Vestavia Hills, AL
Didn't it look like Jesse got chop blocked on the play where he got hurt. He was engaged up high with a UGA player and then his knee gets taken out by another UGA player. Wonder why Gary didn't mention that.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Meh, whatever - it's over.

I think I would have been upset had the proverbial shoe been on the other foot. But it didn't win or lose the game...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yep David you are right, penalties killed them tonight much like it generally does to Florida. A lot of people overlook the fact that penalties cost you points and it hurt UGA a good bit tonight and helped us.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Is Murray the first SEC QB to lose 2 SEC Champ Games as a starter?

And, I thought that hit was legal because if Dix does not get tackled the only guy left is a slow o linemen to catch him.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
It was a clean hit period any body who says otherwise is crazy
If your a QB on an INT return you better haul your arse to the bench cause your the biggest target on the field by the Defense. That's the best chance to get a good legit shot at a QB if the dude wants to actually salvage his screw-up by actually trying to make the tackle. Our coaches back when I played preached if you have the nutz to go engage, you better keep your head on a swivel.

DCETP

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2012
After the commercial Gary said they asked the head of officiating and the response was basically that you've got to watch out because the D-linemen love to hit the QB on interception returns like that. My interpretation of this statement is that Murray should have been aware that he could be hit in that situation, and paying better attention. The play was still live and he was considered a blocker in that situation.

Now, it was clear there was helmet to helmet contact on from the replay, which is never good. I do NOT think it was clear that there was intent on Dial's part to make that kind of hit. What's unfortunate is that the entire CBS commentating team took turns verbally jabbing Dial at halftime and made us look like a dirty team, which is far from the case. UGA was playing a lot less disciplined and safe than Bama in this game, as evidenced by the number of penalties. It's a rough game, but our organization is built around holding players accountable to play by the rules, and with sportsmanship and class, which 99 times out of 100 they do. I hate seeing us portrayed this way on a national TV stage.

ua86

1st Team
Nov 20, 2009
North Alabama
Although Murray pretty clearly wasn't very serious about going to make the tackle on that play, he was headed towards the ball carrier, and the play was still live (or at least freshly dead). The reason he got his clock cleaned was because he wasn't paying attention. The price of that in-attention was that he got the snot knocked out of him.

I personally don't think it was a dirty hit, given that Murray was a defender at that point. When the SEC front office call's me to ask, I'll tell them that.:biggrin2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.