Murray was hit CLEAN by Dial. After an interception quarterback becomes a DEFENDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
First contact is helmet to helmet dude. C'mon now. I'm glad they didn't call it but I honestly thought they should have. Said it immediately after the play.
The "first contact" happens to be helmet to helmet all the time. Fact is he led with the shoulder. Why else you see Dial's shoulder/arm going forward?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
So the shoulder lead was a farce? He intended to hit him with his helmet? The intent to block the mess out of a quarterback that is trotting towards Dix is probably taught.

On an int, with all that's going on, are the players as distinctive as before, or do you just look for the closest person to block? And then, do you block them at 100%, or gingerly? This adds aspects to the game I don't necessarily want. Maybe the QB should just lay down after an int.
I don't think he intentionally meant to go helmet to helmet but when he saw Murray jogging towards the play he saw an opportunity to wipe him out and did so. That's what I meant by "knew what he was doing.", not that he's a head hunter. All I was saying is that in his efforts he did indeed go helmet to helmet and by rule whether intentional or not, that's a penalty.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
First contact is helmet to helmet dude. C'mon now. I'm glad they didn't call it but I honestly thought they should have. Said it immediately after the play.
I do commend you for standing up for your convictions, which beats an unruly excuse making homer any day.

We will find out soon if he plays or sits.

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
Not even sure why it matters other than Dial may be suspended for the ND game.I think by now even the GA fans realize it didnt affect the outcome of the game any.You would think as Bama fans we could let it go. If he gets suspended then he should be, if not then he shouldn't.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I don't think he intentionally meant to go helmet to helmet but when he saw Murray jogging towards the play he saw an opportunity to wipe him out and did so. That's what I meant by "knew what he was doing.", not that he's a head hunter. All I was saying is that in his efforts he did indeed go helmet to helmet and by rule whether intentional or not, that's a penalty.
I can agree with this.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I disagree. First contact was with the shoulder. It's visibly clear his shoulder hits Murray before his helmet does. He's leading in with his shoulder - as he's taught when blocking on a return, shoulder hits first, and because of the angle (as stated before, he's much bigger than Murray) makes contact via helmet as well. In my opinion (and, obviously, in the opinion of the refs), the helmet contact is incidental. The viciousness of the hit comes from the shoulder. Had the helmets not hit each other, NO ONE would be claiming that block was unnecessary or "too vicious." Just that it was an incredible block that 'killed' the defender.

We can all argue until we're blue in the face; but the fact is, there was no penalty called. And, with all of the concern over 'unnecessary, vicious head shots,' the no-call speaks volumes as to it's legality.

And, IF that had happened to McCarron, I would feel the same way. It's football; not a dance recital.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'll say this without any hesitation--I think that was the hardest hit by any player on our team this season.

Dial may have gotten himself a shot at the NFL with that one.

I truly hope he doesn't get suspended for the title game, That would honestly be a shame cause the young man has worked hard and improved tremendously.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I disagree. First contact was with the shoulder. It's visibly clear his shoulder hits Murray before his helmet does. He's leading in with his shoulder - as he's taught when blocking on a return, shoulder hits first, and because of the angle (as stated before, he's much bigger than Murray) makes contact via helmet as well. In my opinion (and, obviously, in the opinion of the refs), the helmet contact is incidental. The viciousness of the hit comes from the shoulder. Had the helmets not hit each other, NO ONE would be claiming that block was unnecessary or "too vicious."

We can all argue until we're blue in the face; but the fact is, there was no penalty called. And, with all of the concern over 'unnecessary, vicious head shots,' the no-call speaks volumes as to it's legality.

And, IF that had happened to McCarron, I would feel the same way. It's football; not a dance recital.
Well Trenda if we all agreed on every single little thing it would get kinda boring around here huh? :)

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Well Trenda if we all agreed on every single little thing it would get kinda boring around here huh? :)
Totally agree, 'Sip! As someone stated above, always enjoy your posts (as well as most others). The fact that the majority of us can debate things on this site without being disrespectful is what makes TideFans so great.

Roll Tide!!

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Is it possible for these huge players to bend over for every tackle and block? After watching the above video, if I played several years as an adult bending like that for every block and tackle I'd be in a wheelchair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.