Murray was hit CLEAN by Dial. After an interception quarterback becomes a DEFENDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no helmet to helmet rule for blocks.
(rule 9, article 3): ``No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.’’ Article 4 goes on to add: "No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul."

Kevo

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 7, 2011
(rule 9, article 3): ``No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.’’ Article 4 goes on to add: "No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul."
To the first part, do we agree he didn't lead with the crown of his helmet?

Assuming that, the next question is: Was Aaron Murray considered a defenseless player? I thought (though could be wrong) that was reserved for punters after punts, people throwing the ball, and people catching the ball. Can you be a defenseless defender going after the play?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
To the first part, do we agree he didn't lead with the crown of his helmet?

Assuming that, the next question is: Was Aaron Murray considered a defenseless player? I thought (though could be wrong) that was reserved for punters after punts, people throwing the ball, and people catching the ball. Can you be a defenseless defender going after the play?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
1. Didn't lead with the crown.

2. Did not "target" head or neck area, even if contact 1st occurred there.

3. Murray was not a "defenseless player".

No foul the way I read the rules.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Defenseless Player
ARTICLE 14. A defenseless player is one who because his physical position
and focus of concentration is especially vulnerable to injury. Examples of
defenseless players are:
Rule 2 / Definitions FR-41
a. A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.
b. A receiver whose focus is on catching a pass.
c. A kicker in the act of or just after kicking a ball.
d. A kick returner whose focus is on catching or recovering a kick in the
air.
e. A player on the ground at the end of a play.
f. A player obviously out of the play.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Hopefully it never gets as far as even a serious discussion of a suspension. If Slive and the SEC treat us like they did the boogs and scam two years ago ensuring that he stayed eligible for the SEC and BCS, then we have nothing to worry about. If not then we'll know once and for all that even our own conference and commissioner hate us. Sort of like some of the grossly bad calls against us last night.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Defenseless Player
defenseless players are:
air.
Murray was none of those. Not even close.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Defenseless Player
defenseless players are:
air.
Good post - none of those applied to Murray in this instance.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Murray was none of those. Not even close.
I absolutely agree....don't run towards the play if you don't want to take a chance of getting earholed...

and by the way, that was childs play compared to the de-cleater the Nebraska blocker put on the Wisconsin player last night...ouch...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm leaving this open for the moment, although it's way more than served it's purpose, until we see was league action (if any) is. For all of you "helmet to helmet" crowd, I'm going to give you a hint that you can look for and it'll explain to you why there was no flag. Dial, just before he hits Murray, turns his body counter clockwise. After that, helmet to helmet contact is incidental and almost inevitable. Had he not turned, as the defender hitting AJ did not, then he would be flagged by the ref a few feet away. IOW, if the shoulder is turned before impact, helmet to helmet will not be called. On second thought, we'll just shut this sucker down until/unless there's league action, which I do not expect...

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Was it unnecessary? Perhaps.

Was it against the rules? I don't think so. However, if I'm being honest, I probably would be yelling for the flag if one of our guys got hit like that.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
In what way was Murray defenseless? He was not, by rule. They just don't like that he took a hard hit that LOOKED unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.