Murray was hit CLEAN by Dial. After an interception quarterback becomes a DEFENDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
It is called football. If he didn't want to be hit then run AWAY from the play not toward it. Was he defenseless, yes. But whose fault is that?

Kevo

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 7, 2011
It is called football. If he didn't want to be hit then run AWAY from the play not toward it. Was he defenseless, yes. But whose fault is that?
The thing is that he wasn't defenseless. He was in line of the play.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Not looking around to see if someone's headed your way does not make you defenseless--it makes you stupid.

Besides, he clearly got a hand up for protection. ;)

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I said I'd reopen this thread when the SEC ruled. (BTW, I disagree with the ruling.)
LINK
If there was no shoulder lead Murray would have been carried off the field. He was immediately clear headed and let a coach know it on the sideline, they didn't even check for a concussion that I know of. This is about a big ole player hitting a smaller quarterback not paying attention imo. College QB's should not be treated like franchise multimillion dollar NFL franshise QB's. That would be ridiculous.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
The thing is that he wasn't defenseless. He was in line of the play.

Good point. I guess when I think defenseless he is more less deer in the headlights… In other words- Not ready/prepared.

riggstidefan7

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 10, 2011
Guin, AL
He's not defenseless player. Dial led with the shoulder but being 6'8" and hitting a 6'0" guy it must be hard to avoid the helmet contact, even if you try to get low.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I said I'd reopen this thread when the SEC ruled. (BTW, I disagree with the ruling.)
LINK
I believe this is 100% the result of the outcry by Danielson and Brando.

By any objective reasoning, the hit did not violate the rules. But it looked nasty and a big stink was raised by the CBS bobble heads, so the SEC office feels the need to respond. Pathetic, IMO.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
He's not defenseless player. Dial led with the shoulder but being 6'8" and hitting a 6'0" guy it must be hard to avoid the helmet contact, even if you try to get low.
And it's much more difficult for today's lineman to get low like the more wormy players of the past.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Murray was defenseless, but it was his own fault because he stopped playing football in the middle of the field during a play. QBs make this mistake too often, but they are going to be protected from their own stupidity. Right or wrong, this is something that will be flagged every time in today's version of college or NFL football if seen by an official.

My question - if he is suspended for all or a portion of the BCSCG, how much would that hurt Alabama?

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
I am sick of them calling him defenseless first of all. Is a gunner on the edges getting decleated a defenseless player?

This is freaking football!!! I remember my coach making me run across the field and our LB's practicing open field tackling by leveling us!!!!!

Is the blocker supposed to tap him on his shoulder, them take 6 steps away from each other and play the "Oklahoma" drill?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I believe this is 100% the result of the outcry by Danielson and Brando.

By any objective reasoning, the hit did not violate the rules. But it looked nasty and a big stink was raised by the CBS bobble heads, so the SEC office feels the need to respond. Pathetic, IMO.
Just about everything today is moderated by the amount of television lobbying it seems and they are very often out of touch with the consensus opinion. Reality can be easily manufactured through spin.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Until the league stops offensive players from using their helmet they are being hypicrites!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The SEC can suspend Dial if they suspend the Georgia player.

They can suspend Dial the day they announce that there was no tipped ball causing the 4th down FG, which was blocked.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
If there was no shoulder lead Murray would have been carried off the field.
Totally agree, but leading with the shoulder rather than the helmet isn't much of a mitigating factor when the SEC determines suspensions. The rule the SEC uses is the following, "No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, elbow or shoulder."

I do think that Dial was targeting the body and not the head, but like you and others have pointed out, it's really hard not to hit above the shoulders when there is a 6 inch height difference.

It seems like Shaw shouldn't have commented with such conviction unless he was going to also define exactly how the SEC interprets the "defenseless player" rule.

Last edited:

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
This is just ridiculous. It was no different than a play that happens multiple times a game on punt returns. It's Murray's fault for not paying attention I think he just got lost in the moment or something. Murray even came out and said that he didn't hit him in the head he just got the wind knocked out of him. Murray is handling it better than Gary did.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I am sick of them calling him defenseless first of all. Is a gunner on the edges getting decleated a defenseless player?

This is freaking football!!! I remember my coach making me run across the field and our LB's practicing open field tackling by leveling us!!!!!

Is the blocker supposed to tap him on his shoulder, them take 6 steps away from each other and play the "Oklahoma" drill?
The Oklahoma drill is already outlawed in most HS if I recall.

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
What makes me so mad is you see the head Ref doesn't see what happens, but decides to throw a flag on Dee anyway? What was that about?

The SEC can suspend Dial if they suspend the Georgia player.

They can suspend Dial the day they announce that there was no tipped ball causing the 4th down FG, which was blocked.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I am sick of them calling him defenseless first of all. Is a gunner on the edges getting decleated a defenseless player
In the NFL, blindside blocks, particularly on punt returns, can be illegal and result in fines.

This is the NFL definition: "A player who receives a “blindside” block when the blocker is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side."

There was talk a couple of years ago about penalizing blindside blocks in the college game, but I'm not sure how far it went. Maybe this is how the Shaw is trying to justify that Murray was defenseless? (By going beyond the current letter of the law)

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What makes me so mad is you see the head Ref doesn't see what happens, but decides to throw a flag on Dee anyway? What was that about?
That wasn't the entire exchange. Dee pushes the guy back, but another UGA player pushes Dee afterwards. The second UGA player is the one Dee pushes, causing the flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.