Murray was hit CLEAN by Dial. After an interception quarterback becomes a DEFENDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yea I find it funny they just wouldn't let that go. I too was mad at first at Dial, then they showed the WHOLE play and it told the whole story. He was in motion towards the play, it was clean all day long IMHO.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
He was cleary in motion going towards the the player with possession of the ball which makes the hit a CLEAN BLOCK

CBS currently has a thread going saying he should be banned.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME>!?!?!?!:mad2:
I agree, unless the hit was helmet to helmet. I could not tell from the replay, though.
CBS talking heads going on and on about it was unseemly.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree, unless the hit was helmet to helmet. I could not tell from the replay, though.
CBS talking heads going on and on about it was unseemly.
yeah, local atlanta sports folks have a sad and keep replaying it. no mention of the helmet to helmet on mcarron earlier in the game though

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yea I find it funny they just wouldn't let that go. I too was mad at first at Dial, then they showed the WHOLE play and it told the whole story. He was in motion towards the play, it was clean all day long IMHO.
What ticked me off was Verne & Danielson kept comparing it to the hit on AJ that was called..Once the ball was intercepted..Murray was no longer a QB & was fair game when he went toward the play for a tackle..Big difference there Verne & Gary..

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
It was a clean hit, but it was an unnecessary hit. Murray wasn't moving with any motivation to make the tackle, and he wasn't a threat. I don't think that there was anything fundamentally wrong with the hit, but I wish Dial had just let him go.

With that said, the whining by everyone is getting really old. It has been the most concentrated play of the game so far, and that's just ridiculous. To quote Gary; " It Happens", funny he wasn't saying that about this play.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
What ticked me off was Verne & Danielson kept comparing it to the hit on AJ that was called..Once the ball was intercepted..Murray was no longer a QB & was fair game when he went toward the play for a tackle..Big difference there Verne & Gary..
Exactly my point. They refused to even look at that angle, they just found something to pick at Bama about and wouldn't let it go. If you are running towards the play you are fair game and he was doing just that.

What about the no call on the block in the back? Don't remember if that lead to any points but still.
Exactly. Not to mention the "phantom tip" as well.

If you couldn't see Dials helmet hit Murray under the chin you're an idiot
Yo dude no sense in calling anyone an idiot. Uncalled for.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Yeah, most people didn't get the concept that once a QB throws a pick, he becomes a defender, and at no time can a defender be considered defenseless. Nor can a defender be called as the recipient of a head-to-head hit (which I've some softer than that called this year on OFFENSIVE players. It looked bad, and it wasn't exactly necessary, but it was legal.

92tide, since the hit on McCarron was called, I wouldn't think it would be a talking point in this instance... The missed block in the back on the UGA punt return in the 3rd, and more so the takedown of Mosley on their TD run is another story altogether.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
What would be the legal way to block Murry in that situation?
Your not supposed to go for the knees, and now you can't hit high either?
Jeez, Murry was running toward the play, it wasn't Dials fault the Murry wasn't aware what was going on.

I can see it if he hit him from behind or something, but it was from the front.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
It was a clean hit, but it was an unnecessary hit. Murray wasn't moving with any motivation to make the tackle, and he wasn't a threat. I don't think that there was anything fundamentally wrong with the hit, but I wish Dial had just let him go.

With that said, the whining by everyone is getting really old. It has been the most concentrated play of the game so far, and that's just ridiculous. To quote Gary; " It Happens", funny he wasn't saying that about this play.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he should have risked making that block, but in Dial's favor Murray was moving towards the play. If he didn't want to risk getting floored he probably should have not moved.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah, most people didn't get the concept that once a QB throws a pick, he becomes a defender, and at no time can a defender be considered defenseless. Nor can a defender be called as the recipient of a head-to-head hit (which I've some softer than that called this year on OFFENSIVE players. It looked bad, and it wasn't exactly necessary, but it was legal.

92tide, since the hit on McCarron was called, I wouldn't think it would be a talking point in this instance... The missed block in the back on the UGA punt return in the 3rd, and more so the takedown of Mosley on their TD run is another story altogether.
im thinking the one on mccarron more in the realm of those calling for some sort of post game action by the SEC

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I think it's funny that everybody ooh's and ahh's when a WR is de-cleated on an INT return, but when it's the feel-good QB of the game it's the biggest non call of non calls ever in the history of football :rolleyes:

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
If you couldn't see Dials helmet hit Murray under the chin you're an idiot
Doesn't matter if Dial's helmet hit Murray under the chin as long as he didn't lead with his helmet. If you watch the replay, you'll see that he was leading with his shoulder.

And I'll just assume that calling many on this board an 'idiot' is the liquor talking . . .

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
What would be the legal way to block Murry in that situation?
Your not supposed to go for the knees, and now you can't hit high either?
Jeez, Murry was running toward the play, it wasn't Dials fault the Murray wasn't aware what was going on.

I can see it if he hit him from behind or something, but it was from the front.
Bingo!

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
With only one view of the hit, Gary was being quite irresponsible with his extreme criticism. It's clear that he didn't want Bama to win. Nevertheless, it looked like a clean hit to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.