Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

Sadly, the refs kept this one closer than it really should have been.

Screenshots show that Lacy crossed the goal line on the drive that ended with the INT in the end zone. Alabama lost 7 on a bad call.

Georgia's blocked FG came about because of another bad call by the refs on the previous play where UGA's obvious PI was not called due to the "tip" that apparently had no impact on the ball at all.

That alone is a 14 point swing, not to mention the PI would've put Alabama well into UGA territory.

39-21 or 46/42-21 would've been a better indicator of how the game actually went, but oh well.
    Honey Badger can take what the Tide gives him and like it.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American formersoldier71's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I thought he crossed the plane. But, I also thought that Gurley's knee was down before he crossed the plane, that we had pass rushers tackled on their way to Murray, etc. The REC isn't getting it's money's worth from the refs.
    Victory... does not depend entirely upon numbers or mere courage; only skill and discipline will insure it. - Vegetius

BamaNation First Team 4thGenBamaGrad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lassr4Bama View Post
    I think their comment was there was not enough to overturn it. I agree, there was no conclusive evidence but I thought it might have crossed but there was no view showing the line and the ball. View above is at an angle.

I was more upset with him reaching like that. If it was 3rd or 4th down then do it but if not protect the ball and try again.
    But this is the least-favorable angle you could have for the ball vis-a-vis the goal line. It's an easy experiment to recreate--put a ball on the floor just crossing a line and then view it from behind the line, directly on the line, an then behind the ball--and you can see which angle is the least favorable.

Bottom-line: if Lacy's ball is over the from the angle in the picture above, it's a TD.

"Coach, if you need one yard, I'll get you three yards. If you need five yards, I'll get you three yards."
    Leroy Hoard

Sorry, but I agree with the officials that even this photo does not contain irrefutable evidence. If Lacy has his belly facing the turf the "goal line" that you "see" is one or two or several or who knows how many yards to his left. The camera is at an angle to the goal line so it can easily be argued that the ball is not breaking the plane. If I take my Crimson glasses off I honestly can't say that that photo shows the ball breaking the plane since in the photo the goal line is breaking "away" from the ball. It comes down to the "depth" (distance from the camera) of the ball in respect to the visible goal line in the photo and that (to me) is impossible to irrefutably determine except to say that it's at least several body widths. If I apply my own knowledge of physics I honestly think this photo shows the ball close to the line but that's all. In all honesty I think that in this photo the ball has not yet broken the plane. As opposed to the typical "goal line" camera angle this shot has a fairly extreme goal line angle. I played every TV viewable angle over and over with my DVR and wanted to believe that he scored but i think the refs and replay officials made a good call.

BamaNation All-American cuda.1973's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sick on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by tidefan26 View Post
    The official running down the goal line in the back ground disagrees with your geometry.
    Yep. But, the ruling on the field was not a TD, so the evidence would have needed to be a lot better. Still hard to accept, but we won.

Wish I could go back to sleep.............not happening!
    "I'm perfectly calm, Dude. Calmer than you are."

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

When Tom Ritter & his crew call an Alabama game it's more about what they don't call than what they do. They are by far the worst group of bad officials the SEC has.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

CBS actually had one shot from a endzone view possible from the FG camera. They only showed it once and it was brief but it also looked as though he crossed the line on that shot. I wonder why they only showed that view once.

The offical running down the goal line in the back ground disagrees with your geometry.
    yeah, i think jessie's helmet was definitely in the end zone
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

Quote Originally Posted by SABAN View Post
    The picture is a bit of an illusion. I added a continuation of the goal line geometry, and with that frame of reference it is not near as conclusive as it first seems.

Are you being serious? Or are you kidding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American NationalTitles15's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by SABAN View Post
    The picture is a bit of an illusion. I added a continuation of the goal line geometry, and with that frame of reference it is not near as conclusive as it first seems.

No trying to flame, but might want to brush up on that geometry.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

It wasn't just this call, it was the way the calls went. It was horrible.

The non-tipped pass, pass interference. They took a look, and even though it was clear it wasn't tipped they let it stand.
    This, even if they can't see the knee down they should have seen the ball break the plane.
    And, to finish it off they finally did overturn something when it went Alabama's way, with the interception.

I can understand letting all three stand as called on the field if you have to have a ton of proof, but to let the two stand (one should have been pass interference the other a touchdown) and only overturn the one that was no less obvious is absurd.

Let's not even get into holding on the one Georgia TD, that happens all the time and I'll give them a mulligan there. Horribly officiated game.

RE: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

The camera is not even with the goal line so it is hard to be sure but I think the ball is a couple of inches short. Just glad it didn't cost us.
    Sent from Lumia 920 using Board Express

BamaNation Second Team

The offical running down the goal line in the back ground disagrees with your geometry.
    Eggsactly what I was thinking.