Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
The picture is a bit of an illusion. I added a continuation of the goal line geometry, and with that frame of reference it is not near as conclusive as it first seems.

Obviously non-Euclidian geometry. I assume that the goal line is arcing to the left due to the gravitational warping of space-time around Jesse Williams. :biggrin:

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This! I guess it depends on how you want to see it. Its clearly a touchdown and I thought so while watching the game. The announcers were so excited about the fumble they completely ignored it may have been a TD. Apparently the replay official felt the same way.
I have yet to see a shot that I believe if it had been Georgia we would agree was a touchdown. Either you can't see the ball or it's at an angle. Goal line TD's have to be definitive or the goal line stand would vanish. I have seen nothing definitive. I want to. If there was such a pic, it would be posted here, not the angled shot. Just my opinion.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
It was not a touchdown. There is no pic from a good angle. And even when you watch it in slo mo it does not look like he made it. Let's move on.

MasterGracey

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 24, 2011
The picture is a bit of an illusion. I added a continuation of the goal line geometry, and with that frame of reference it is not near as conclusive as it first seems.

Sorry but you're off. The ref would be on the goal line as is standard in these situations. Your line shows him on the 1-2 yard line.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Oy vey..........didn't anyone study perspective drawing? This comes from someone with a drafting table, complete with slide bar, in his office.

OK.......some have. One or two others..........I wonder.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I have yet to see a shot that I believe if it had been Georgia we would agree was a touchdown. Either you can't see the ball or it's at an angle. Goal line TD's have to be definitive or the goal line stand would vanish. I have seen nothing definitive. I want to. If there was such a pic, it would be posted here, not the angled shot. Just my opinion.
Oh well, 32-28 the good guys win. Roll Tide!

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Whether it was a touchdown or not, I believe they made the right call based on the information that they had. They didn't have access to the still shots that we have, and there were no real time camera angles that clearly showed the ball crossing the plane. They need conclusive evidence to be able to overturn a call on the field, and I don't believe the refs had that at the time they made the call. As much as I hated it at the time, it was the correct call with what they had to work with.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I wouldn't mind it if RFID or some other technology could be used to help determine if the ball crosses the goal line. But, I don't know if the tech exists for that to be exact. I would imagine that equipping every stadium with RFID would be cost prohibitive.

I've been a line judge for high school games and sometimes it is very difficult to determine if the ball crosses the goal line during live play in a pile-up like that.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wouldn't mind it if RFID or some other technology could be used to help determine if the ball crosses the goal line. But, I don't know if the tech exists for that to be exact. I would imagine that equipping every stadium with RFID would be cost prohibitive.

I've been a line judge for high schools games and sometimes it is very difficult to determine if the ball crosses the goal line during live play in a pile-up like that.
My assumption was that it was just covered up for the LJ, and he made the best judgment he could under the circumstances...

RTRforever14

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 29, 2012
^this...
The CBS replay angles were bad on this one...with all the cameras on the field (aren't there like 20?) how could you not have a camera angle looking straight across the plain of each goal line? It's one of the most important areas of the field and important to BOTH teams.

Just glad it didn't cost us in this one.

This ^^^^^^^^ this should be standard when they are so close to the goal line... it was close, but no way to overturn it... the picture to me does not clearly show he scored.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Oy vey..........didn't anyone study perspective drawing? This comes from someone with a drafting table, complete with slide bar, in his office.

OK.......some have. One or two others..........I wonder.
So how far off was I? I'm definitely not an engineer, but I'd love to know more from your viewpoint.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.