Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 95
  1. #66
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Mt Juliet, Tn
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

    What a game. What a finish.
    There were lot's of missed calls in this game, more than most. With that said, my opinions of the discussed situations are a) the ball didn't cross or touch the line, b) Gurley's knee may or may not have been down, resulting in a non reversal, c) the interception overturn was obvious, d) there was no tip on the pass and the interference call should have stood, and e) had Dial's hit been done by a Ga player on A J, many would have been calling for his ejection. And while not at this level by any means, I have played the game. My opinion means no more or less than anyone else's. It's a personal interpretation of what we saw. One thing I know for sure.
    Two outstanding teams played an outstanding game and at the end, Murray wanted to spike, but Richt overruled him. Thanks Coach. That's a "what if" we didn't have to deal with.
    Now what do I have to sell in order to buy some tickets to the next game? RTR!!!

  2. Advertisement
  3. #67
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cullman, Al
    Posts
    3,829
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

    Quote Originally Posted by SABAN View Post
    The picture is a bit of an illusion. I added a continuation of the goal line geometry, and with that frame of reference it is not near as conclusive as it first seems.

    It's not an illusion. Look at the line judge. He stands directly beside the goal line.
    Last edited by CullmanTide; December 2nd, 2012 at 11:27 AM.

  4. #68
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

    My opinion is that anyone who thinks picture "clearly", "without a doubt", or "absolutely" shows a TD is not being objective. At this angle it's inconclusive. If anything, to me, it shows the ball is inches short.
    "I know this much, Alabama football will survive anything because we play the most interesting football there is -- we win." Bear Bryant

  5. #69
    FB Moderator Crimson Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    7,824
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

    Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    It's not an illusion. Look at the line judge. He stands directly beside the goal line.
    Yep...

  6. #70
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga, USA
    Posts
    14,876
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTut View Post
    My opinion is that anyone who thinks picture "clearly", "without a doubt", or "absolutely" shows a TD is not being objective. At this angle it's inconclusive. If anything, to me, it shows the ball is inches short.
    yep, perspective angle can play a lot of tricks on the eye (there are plenty of visual puzzles/tricks/optical illusions based on this). its not the horizontal extension of the goal line (which btw this photoshop does not get correct) but the vertical plane of the front of the goal line perpendicular to the field that matters. from this angle, there is no way to visualize that.

    i think it may have been in, but there was nothing definitive enough to overturn the call.
    Last edited by 92tide; December 2nd, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

    -Bertrand Russell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

    ó Thomas Pynchon

  7. #71
    BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sylacauga, AL
    Posts
    2,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

    Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

    Not conclussive... The only thing missed on that call, perhaps, was that they could have called forward progress stopped... But does it matter? Take the win, and let's move on...

    And if memory serves me correct, the Line judge would have been at least one yard off the goal line by then, as he would be running in at where he though progress was stopped...
    Last edited by Matt0424; December 2nd, 2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added content

  8. #72
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    762
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

    With a powerful enough analysis, you could definitively prove whether he crossed or not. I do not have the ability/attention to do it, but from what I can tell, it is very close. You an use relative comparisons of known dimensions to determine depth of field, thereby determining roughly how far the ball is down the field to compare that (in the vertical) with the correct spot of the projected goal line. It's a ton of work if anyone wants to try it, and it is based on an assumption that the lens used for this image has minimal distortion in the center, but it's technically feasible.

  9. #73
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    762
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

    And as several people have pointed out, the projected goal-line is erroneous. The back angle is off for starters, and it assumes that the mid-left corner of the image is infinity, which is clearly not the case or the ref would be miniscule. Nonetheless, without a computer program that the judges could use (like Hawkeye or whatever they use in tennis), there's no way a ref could overturn a call based on that angle without some serious geometry skills...and a ruler.

  10. #74
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    franklin, tennessee, usa
    Posts
    1,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

    Ritter's crew is bad, better than some other crews, Wager's comes to mind, but that's about like being the tallest player on the Japanese National Basketball team. But apparently it is never going to change. My friends here who are fans of other conferences make fun of us constantly and pray they don't get SEC refs for their bowl games.
    Roll Tide

  11. #75
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Jacksonville, Md USA
    Posts
    15,019
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

    Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

    Quote Originally Posted by SABAN View Post
    The picture is a bit of an illusion. I added a continuation of the goal line geometry, and with that frame of reference it is not near as conclusive as it first seems.

    Yellows appear distorted. They seem to show 82 standing between goal line and the 1 but if those yellows were extended properly 82 (Jones?) would be in endzone.

  12. #76
    BamaNation All-American Relayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    4,436
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

    Quote Originally Posted by AlBamaWagg View Post
    What a game. What a finish.
    There were lot's of missed calls in this game, more than most. With that said, my opinions of the discussed situations are a) the ball didn't cross or touch the line, b) Gurley's knee may or may not have been down, resulting in a non reversal, c) the interception overturn was obvious, d) there was no tip on the pass and the interference call should have stood, and e) had Dial's hit been done by a Ga player on A J, many would have been calling for his ejection. And while not at this level by any means, I have played the game. My opinion means no more or less than anyone else's. It's a personal interpretation of what we saw. One thing I know for sure.
    Two outstanding teams played an outstanding game and at the end, Murray wanted to spike, but Richt overruled him. Thanks Coach. That's a "what if" we didn't have to deal with.
    Now what do I have to sell in order to buy some tickets to the next game? RTR!!!
    Exactly correct on every count.

  13. #77
    BamaNation First Team BamaHoHo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Coaling, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

    If you cant see the ball touching the line or crossing it, its inconclussive.

    __________________________________________________ ________________________


    The TV camera isnt set up on hte line, so you cant tell

  14. #78
    BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hueytown, Al
    Posts
    4,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

    Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

    yea its a clear touchdown there, but couldnt see it on the video, thats the game. We still won!
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!