Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

What a game. What a finish.
    There were lot's of missed calls in this game, more than most. With that said, my opinions of the discussed situations are a) the ball didn't cross or touch the line, b) Gurley's knee may or may not have been down, resulting in a non reversal, c) the interception overturn was obvious, d) there was no tip on the pass and the interference call should have stood, and e) had Dial's hit been done by a Ga player on A J, many would have been calling for his ejection. And while not at this level by any means, I have played the game. My opinion means no more or less than anyone else's. It's a personal interpretation of what we saw. One thing I know for sure.
    Two outstanding teams played an outstanding game and at the end, Murray wanted to spike, but Richt overruled him. Thanks Coach. That's a "what if" we didn't have to deal with.
    Now what do I have to sell in order to buy some tickets to the next game? RTR!!!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SABAN View Post
    The picture is a bit of an illusion. I added a continuation of the goal line geometry, and with that frame of reference it is not near as conclusive as it first seems.

It's not an illusion. Look at the line judge. He stands directly beside the goal line.
    Last edited by CullmanTide; December 2nd, 2012 at 11:27 AM.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

My opinion is that anyone who thinks picture "clearly", "without a doubt", or "absolutely" shows a TD is not being objective. At this angle it's inconclusive. If anything, to me, it shows the ball is inches short.
    "I know this much, Alabama football will survive anything because we play the most interesting football there is -- we win." Bear Bryant

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    It's not an illusion. Look at the line judge. He stands directly beside the goal line.
    Yep...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTut View Post
    My opinion is that anyone who thinks picture "clearly", "without a doubt", or "absolutely" shows a TD is not being objective. At this angle it's inconclusive. If anything, to me, it shows the ball is inches short.
    yep, perspective angle can play a lot of tricks on the eye (there are plenty of visual puzzles/tricks/optical illusions based on this). its not the horizontal extension of the goal line (which btw this photoshop does not get correct) but the vertical plane of the front of the goal line perpendicular to the field that matters. from this angle, there is no way to visualize that.

i think it may have been in, but there was nothing definitive enough to overturn the call.
    Last edited by 92tide; December 2nd, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Not conclussive... The only thing missed on that call, perhaps, was that they could have called forward progress stopped... But does it matter? Take the win, and let's move on...

And if memory serves me correct, the Line judge would have been at least one yard off the goal line by then, as he would be running in at where he though progress was stopped...
    Last edited by Matt0424; December 2nd, 2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added content

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

With a powerful enough analysis, you could definitively prove whether he crossed or not. I do not have the ability/attention to do it, but from what I can tell, it is very close. You an use relative comparisons of known dimensions to determine depth of field, thereby determining roughly how far the ball is down the field to compare that (in the vertical) with the correct spot of the projected goal line. It's a ton of work if anyone wants to try it, and it is based on an assumption that the lens used for this image has minimal distortion in the center, but it's technically feasible.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

And as several people have pointed out, the projected goal-line is erroneous. The back angle is off for starters, and it assumes that the mid-left corner of the image is infinity, which is clearly not the case or the ref would be miniscule. Nonetheless, without a computer program that the judges could use (like Hawkeye or whatever they use in tennis), there's no way a ref could overturn a call based on that angle without some serious geometry skills...and a ruler.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Ritter's crew is bad, better than some other crews, Wager's comes to mind, but that's about like being the tallest player on the Japanese National Basketball team. But apparently it is never going to change. My friends here who are fans of other conferences make fun of us constantly and pray they don't get SEC refs for their bowl games.
    Roll Tide

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by SABAN View Post
    The picture is a bit of an illusion. I added a continuation of the goal line geometry, and with that frame of reference it is not near as conclusive as it first seems.

Yellows appear distorted. They seem to show 82 standing between goal line and the 1 but if those yellows were extended properly 82 (Jones?) would be in endzone.

BamaNation All-American Relayer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlBamaWagg View Post
    What a game. What a finish.
    There were lot's of missed calls in this game, more than most. With that said, my opinions of the discussed situations are a) the ball didn't cross or touch the line, b) Gurley's knee may or may not have been down, resulting in a non reversal, c) the interception overturn was obvious, d) there was no tip on the pass and the interference call should have stood, and e) had Dial's hit been done by a Ga player on A J, many would have been calling for his ejection. And while not at this level by any means, I have played the game. My opinion means no more or less than anyone else's. It's a personal interpretation of what we saw. One thing I know for sure.
    Two outstanding teams played an outstanding game and at the end, Murray wanted to spike, but Richt overruled him. Thanks Coach. That's a "what if" we didn't have to deal with.
    Now what do I have to sell in order to buy some tickets to the next game? RTR!!!
    Exactly correct on every count.

Post Thanks / Like

If you cant see the ball touching the line or crossing it, its inconclussive.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

The TV camera isnt set up on hte line, so you cant tell

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

yea its a clear touchdown there, but couldnt see it on the video, thats the game. We still won!
    Serve no master but your own ambition.