Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

It's sad and embarrassing how we complain about the officials, even when we win. I wish everyone would realize that the SEC probably has the second best group of officials in football next to the NFL. Mistakes are made of course, but far more often than not SEC officials are in position and make the correct call whether you like it or not. Perhaps some of you should go join your local high school officiating association and start to make a difference if you think it is that bad instead of complaining all the time.

2. Advertisement

Re: Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrThor View Post
    It's sad and embarrassing how we complain about the officials, even when we win. I wish everyone would realize that the SEC probably has the second best group of officials in football next to the NFL. Mistakes are made of course, but far more often than not SEC officials are in position and make the correct call whether you like it or not. Perhaps some of you should go join your local high school officiating association and start to make a difference if you think it is that bad instead of complaining all the time.

Yah, how dare we expect them not miss calls. </sarcasm>
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Volatile on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by SABAN View Post
    The picture is a bit of an illusion. I added a continuation of the goal line geometry, and with that frame of reference it is not near as conclusive as it first seems.

Obviously non-Euclidian geometry. I assume that the goal line is arcing to the left due to the gravitational warping of space-time around Jesse Williams.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

Quote Originally Posted by IH8Orange View Post
    Obviously non-Euclidian geometry. I assume that the goal line is arcing to the left due to the gravitational warping of space-time around Jesse Williams.
    My ear!

And the post came from Saban too.

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    This! I guess it depends on how you want to see it. Its clearly a touchdown and I thought so while watching the game. The announcers were so excited about the fumble they completely ignored it may have been a TD. Apparently the replay official felt the same way.
    I have yet to see a shot that I believe if it had been Georgia we would agree was a touchdown. Either you can't see the ball or it's at an angle. Goal line TD's have to be definitive or the goal line stand would vanish. I have seen nothing definitive. I want to. If there was such a pic, it would be posted here, not the angled shot. Just my opinion.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

It was not a touchdown. There is no pic from a good angle. And even when you watch it in slo mo it does not look like he made it. Let's move on.

Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

Quote Originally Posted by SABAN View Post
    The picture is a bit of an illusion. I added a continuation of the goal line geometry, and with that frame of reference it is not near as conclusive as it first seems.

Sorry but you're off. The ref would be on the goal line as is standard in these situations. Your line shows him on the 1-2 yard line.

BamaNation All-American cuda.1973's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sick on TideFans.com

Oy vey..........didn't anyone study perspective drawing? This comes from someone with a drafting table, complete with slide bar, in his office.

OK.......some have. One or two others..........I wonder.
    "Mama called."

So, we took her home.

3/8/26-8/20/13

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    I have yet to see a shot that I believe if it had been Georgia we would agree was a touchdown. Either you can't see the ball or it's at an angle. Goal line TD's have to be definitive or the goal line stand would vanish. I have seen nothing definitive. I want to. If there was such a pic, it would be posted here, not the angled shot. Just my opinion.
    Oh well, 32-28 the good guys win. Roll Tide!

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Sorry but you're off. The ref would be on the goal line as is standard in these situations. Your line shows him on the 1-2 yard line.
    Thank you. Roll Tide!
    Bamabww

My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Whether it was a touchdown or not, I believe they made the right call based on the information that they had. They didn't have access to the still shots that we have, and there were no real time camera angles that clearly showed the ball crossing the plane. They need conclusive evidence to be able to overturn a call on the field, and I don't believe the refs had that at the time they made the call. As much as I hated it at the time, it was the correct call with what they had to work with.

My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

I wouldn't mind it if RFID or some other technology could be used to help determine if the ball crosses the goal line. But, I don't know if the tech exists for that to be exact. I would imagine that equipping every stadium with RFID would be cost prohibitive.

I've been a line judge for high school games and sometimes it is very difficult to determine if the ball crosses the goal line during live play in a pile-up like that.
    Last edited by Hoot30; December 3rd, 2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: grammar
    "If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." - As Candidus in the Boston Gazette, January 20, 1772

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot30 View Post
    I wouldn't mind it if RFID or some other technology could be used to help determine if the ball crosses the goal line. But, I don't know if the tech exists for that to be exact. I would imagine that equipping every stadium with RFID would be cost prohibitive.

I've been a line judge for high schools games and sometimes it is very difficult to determine if the ball crosses the goal line during live play in a pile-up like that.
    My assumption was that it was just covered up for the LJ, and he made the best judgment he could under the circumstances...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus