Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
That view does not show the goal line and the ball crossing it. With that angle the ball could be an inch short. It appears to be touching the line but there is no conclusive view. It cannot be overturned on that view. The view up the goal line was blocked by a player.
It's no less conclusive than the replay that overturned Milliner's interception.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The angle does not make it absolute. Does anyone remember an early third and long where they got a first down over the middle..........the ball was trapped imo.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I laid a 12" ruler over the pic- actually the Geometry's Guys line are about right.
My complaints on the Refs - nearly every big pass, and a couple of big runs, for UGA there was Massave, Obvious, and Multiple HOLDING. Danielson even mentioned it on one of the big runs.
The block in the back on their lone descent punt return.(everybody in the nation caught that one except the refs.
Millner gets a gouge toward the eyes through the face mask, protects his eyes and gets a flag.
YES they did miss the cheap shot by Dial- that is exactly what it was, no need trying to spin it.
Not a cheap shot. Most people who have never played football may not have experienced their coaches telling them: if someone is standing around on a punt return or if a QB moves towards the play after an interception, NAIL THEM! Totally legal.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
What a game. What a finish.
There were lot's of missed calls in this game, more than most. With that said, my opinions of the discussed situations are a) the ball didn't cross or touch the line, b) Gurley's knee may or may not have been down, resulting in a non reversal, c) the interception overturn was obvious, d) there was no tip on the pass and the interference call should have stood, and e) had Dial'***** been done by a Ga player on A J, many would have been calling for his ejection. And while not at this level by any means, I have played the game. My opinion means no more or less than anyone else's. It's a personal interpretation of what we saw. One thing I know for sure.
Two outstanding teams played an outstanding game and at the end, Murray wanted to spike, but Richt overruled him. Thanks Coach. That's a "what if" we didn't have to deal with.
Now what do I have to sell in order to buy some tickets to the next game? RTR!!!

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The picture is a bit of an illusion. I added a continuation of the goal line geometry, and with that frame of reference it is not near as conclusive as it first seems.

It's not an illusion. Look at the line judge. He stands directly beside the goal line.

Last edited:

CrimsonTut

1st Team
Jul 24, 2000
Franklin, TN
My opinion is that anyone who thinks picture "clearly", "without a doubt", or "absolutely" shows a TD is not being objective. At this angle it's inconclusive. If anything, to me, it shows the ball is inches short.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My opinion is that anyone who thinks picture "clearly", "without a doubt", or "absolutely" shows a TD is not being objective. At this angle it's inconclusive. If anything, to me, it shows the ball is inches short.
yep, perspective angle can play a lot of tricks on the eye (there are plenty of visual puzzles/tricks/optical illusions based on this). its not the horizontal extension of the goal line (which btw this photoshop does not get correct) but the vertical plane of the front of the goal line perpendicular to the field that matters. from this angle, there is no way to visualize that.

i think it may have been in, but there was nothing definitive enough to overturn the call.

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Not conclussive... The only thing missed on that call, perhaps, was that they could have called forward progress stopped... But does it matter? Take the win, and let's move on...

And if memory serves me correct, the Line judge would have been at least one yard off the goal line by then, as he would be running in at where he though progress was stopped...

Last edited:

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
With a powerful enough analysis, you could definitively prove whether he crossed or not. I do not have the ability/attention to do it, but from what I can tell, it is very close. You an use relative comparisons of known dimensions to determine depth of field, thereby determining roughly how far the ball is down the field to compare that (in the vertical) with the correct spot of the projected goal line. It's a ton of work if anyone wants to try it, and it is based on an assumption that the lens used for this image has minimal distortion in the center, but it's technically feasible.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
And as several people have pointed out, the projected goal-line is erroneous. The back angle is off for starters, and it assumes that the mid-left corner of the image is infinity, which is clearly not the case or the ref would be miniscule. Nonetheless, without a computer program that the judges could use (like Hawkeye or whatever they use in tennis), there's no way a ref could overturn a call based on that angle without some serious geometry skills...and a ruler.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Ritter's crew is bad, better than some other crews, Wager's comes to mind, but that's about like being the tallest player on the Japanese National Basketball team. But apparently it is never going to change. My friends here who are fans of other conferences make fun of us constantly and pray they don't get SEC refs for their bowl games.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The picture is a bit of an illusion. I added a continuation of the goal line geometry, and with that frame of reference it is not near as conclusive as it first seems.

Yellows appear distorted. They seem to show 82 standing between goal line and the 1 but if those yellows were extended properly 82 (Jones?) would be in endzone.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
What a game. What a finish.
There were lot's of missed calls in this game, more than most. With that said, my opinions of the discussed situations are a) the ball didn't cross or touch the line, b) Gurley's knee may or may not have been down, resulting in a non reversal, c) the interception overturn was obvious, d) there was no tip on the pass and the interference call should have stood, and e) had Dial'***** been done by a Ga player on A J, many would have been calling for his ejection. And while not at this level by any means, I have played the game. My opinion means no more or less than anyone else's. It's a personal interpretation of what we saw. One thing I know for sure.
Two outstanding teams played an outstanding game and at the end, Murray wanted to spike, but Richt overruled him. Thanks Coach. That's a "what if" we didn't have to deal with.
Now what do I have to sell in order to buy some tickets to the next game? RTR!!!
Exactly correct on every count.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
If you cant see the ball touching the line or crossing it, its inconclussive.

The TV camera isnt set up on hte line, so you cant tell

CmdrThor

1st Team
Oct 29, 2008
Marietta, GA
It's sad and embarrassing how we complain about the officials, even when we win. I wish everyone would realize that the SEC probably has the second best group of officials in football next to the NFL. Mistakes are made of course, but far more often than not SEC officials are in position and make the correct call whether you like it or not. Perhaps some of you should go join your local high school officiating association and start to make a difference if you think it is that bad instead of complaining all the time.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's sad and embarrassing how we complain about the officials, even when we win. I wish everyone would realize that the SEC probably has the second best group of officials in football next to the NFL. Mistakes are made of course, but far more often than not SEC officials are in position and make the correct call whether you like it or not. Perhaps some of you should go join your local high school officiating association and start to make a difference if you think it is that bad instead of complaining all the time.
:rolleyes:

Yah, how dare we expect them not miss calls. </sarcasm>

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.