Lacy "fumble" on the goal line (pic)

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I thought he crossed the plane. But, I also thought that Gurley's knee was down before he crossed the plane, that we had pass rushers tackled on their way to Murray, etc. The REC isn't getting it's money's worth from the refs. :wink:

4thGenBamaGrad

1st Team
Nov 4, 2007
Boca Raton, FL
I think their comment was there was not enough to overturn it. I agree, there was no conclusive evidence but I thought it might have crossed but there was no view showing the line and the ball. View above is at an angle.

I was more upset with him reaching like that. If it was 3rd or 4th down then do it but if not protect the ball and try again.
But this is the least-favorable angle you could have for the ball vis-a-vis the goal line. It's an easy experiment to recreate--put a ball on the floor just crossing a line and then view it from behind the line, directly on the line, an then behind the ball--and you can see which angle is the least favorable.

Bottom-line: if Lacy's ball is over the from the angle in the picture above, it's a TD.

Hankster2

All-SEC
Jan 18, 2006
in a house
Sorry, but I agree with the officials that even this photo does not contain irrefutable evidence. If Lacy has his belly facing the turf the "goal line" that you "see" is one or two or several or who knows how many yards to his left. The camera is at an angle to the goal line so it can easily be argued that the ball is not breaking the plane. If I take my Crimson glasses off I honestly can't say that that photo shows the ball breaking the plane since in the photo the goal line is breaking "away" from the ball. It comes down to the "depth" (distance from the camera) of the ball in respect to the visible goal line in the photo and that (to me) is impossible to irrefutably determine except to say that it's at least several body widths. If I apply my own knowledge of physics I honestly think this photo shows the ball close to the line but that's all. In all honesty I think that in this photo the ball has not yet broken the plane. As opposed to the typical "goal line" camera angle this shot has a fairly extreme goal line angle. I played every TV viewable angle over and over with my DVR and wanted to believe that he scored but i think the refs and replay officials made a good call.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The official running down the goal line in the back ground disagrees with your geometry.
Yep. But, the ruling on the field was not a TD, so the evidence would have needed to be a lot better. Still hard to accept, but we won.

Wish I could go back to sleep.............not happening!

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
When Tom Ritter & his crew call an Alabama game it's more about what they don't call than what they do. They are by far the worst group of bad officials the SEC has.

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
CBS actually had one shot from a endzone view possible from the FG camera. They only showed it once and it was brief but it also looked as though he crossed the line on that shot. I wonder why they only showed that view once.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It wasn't just this call, it was the way the calls went. It was horrible.

The non-tipped pass, pass interference. They took a look, and even though it was clear it wasn't tipped they let it stand.
This, even if they can't see the knee down they should have seen the ball break the plane.
And, to finish it off they finally did overturn something when it went Alabama's way, with the interception.

I can understand letting all three stand as called on the field if you have to have a ton of proof, but to let the two stand (one should have been pass interference the other a touchdown) and only overturn the one that was no less obvious is absurd.

Let's not even get into holding on the one Georgia TD, that happens all the time and I'll give them a mulligan there. Horribly officiated game.

GA_Tide

1st Team
Aug 24, 2006
Canton, Ga
The camera is not even with the goal line so it is hard to be sure but I think the ball is a couple of inches short. Just glad it didn't cost us.
Sent from Lumia 920 using Board Express

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The offical running down the goal line in the back ground disagrees with your geometry.
This! I guess it depends on how you want to see it. Its clearly a touchdown and I thought so while watching the game. The announcers were so excited about the fumble they completely ignored it may have been a TD. Apparently the replay official felt the same way.

thunderz7

1st Team
Nov 6, 2001
northeast alabama usa
I laid a 12" ruler over the pic- actually the Geometry's Guys line are about right.
My complaints on the Refs - nearly every big pass, and a couple of big runs, for UGA there was Massave, Obvious, and Multiple HOLDING. Danielson even mentioned it on one of the big runs.
The block in the back on their lone descent punt return.(everybody in the nation caught that one except the refs.
Millner gets a gouge toward the eyes through the face mask, protects his eyes and gets a flag.
YES they did miss the cheap shot by Dial- that is exactly what it was, no need trying to spin it.

4Bama2win

BamaNation Citizen
I laid a 12" ruler over the pic- actually the Geometry's Guys line are about right.
My complaints on the Refs - nearly every big pass, and a couple of big runs, for UGA there was Massave, Obvious, and Multiple HOLDING. Danielson even mentioned it on one of the big runs.
The block in the back on their lone descent punt return.(everybody in the nation caught that one except the refs.
Millner gets a gouge toward the eyes through the face mask, protects his eyes and gets a flag.
YES they did miss the cheap shot by Dial- that is exactly what it was, no need trying to spin it.

So you're telling me that big fat lineman is bent over on all fours with both hands and both knees and one foot in the endzone, but only part of his helmet is in the endzone.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
This picture needs to be sent to the SEC officials, Mr. Slive, Coach Saban, Georgia's Coach, and Georgia fans all over the world. That would have been "7" points instead of what was to become an interception in the end zone.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Yeah, never could see it on the video replays, but that's a pretty clear photo of a TD. Glad it didn't matter in the end.
^this...
The CBS replay angles were bad on this one...with all the cameras on the field (aren't there like 20?) how could you not have a camera angle looking straight across the plain of each goal line? It's one of the most important areas of the field and important to BOTH teams.

Just glad it didn't cost us in this one.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
No spin. Good hit.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.