To david pollack, cbs, espn, verne & gary and to all that were biased against bama !

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Re: To david pollack, cbs, espn, verne & gary and to all that was biased toward bama

Good to see some sanity on the board with respect to the "biases" of Verne and Gary. Admittedly Verne has lost a step or two, but he's still better than most of the guys out there now. Is he the best at this point, no. Hard to beat Brad Nessler, and I still say CBS never should've fired Sean McDonough. Raise your hand if you want Brent Musburger... Didn't think so.

As far as Danielson goes, I think he's as good as anyone. He's very bright and very insightful. Blackledge and Herbstreit are as good as any, as well. I'll take any of them. Like Gary or not, I don't see the "bias" label, and get sick of hearing it from our fans on Finebaum's show. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing. I'd like to think our fans have more class than that...

If you do want to look at a national figure who I think has a hard time concealing his true colors, it's Tim Brando. I used to have a great deal of respect for Brando. However, anyone of his stature who takes on Finebaum's callers at the same level to which they sink, need not be taken as seriously as their position suggests.
I agree with every single thing you wrote in that quote.

I suspect that Verne and Gary only have two biases, and both are because they are paid to cover SEC games:
1. Bias in favor of the SEC. They'd prefer it if an SEC team won the national championship every single year.
2. Bias in favor of a close game. They'd prefer that every single game were like Bama-LSU 2012, Bama-Auburn 2010, and Bama-UGA 2012.

Why? Ratings.

I seriously doubt they're particularly biased for or against any particular team.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Re: To david pollack, cbs, espn, verne & gary and to all that was biased toward bama

I don't know about the "bias" thing, I just don't hear it. You can't compare the CBS, ABC or ESPN broadcasts against Eli Gold. Eli Gold is part of the Alabama Radio Network. Of course he's biased. Just because the other announcers aren't drooling all over Bama doesn't mean they're biased. They are going to say good things about the other team too, they kind of have to. Imagine how boring it would be if all they ever did was talk about how great Bama is.
ratings would go waaaay down, seeing as theirs about a 108 other fan bases that they're trying to reach out to.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

I've never been a big proponent of trying to gauge bias in a broadcast booth but two things really stick out in my mind. I think they made WAY WAY too much of Dial'***** on Murray. It's a fairly common thing in football for a QB to get hit. Yes, it could have drawn a flag for helmet to helmet but otherwise it was a legal play. It's not like the refs didn't miss things, like the two massive holds on a Georgia touchdown run.

Second on the Milliner personal foul he was defending himself after getting poked in the eye, it was a total thug move by the Georgia player and they didn't say a word about it. So their guy can try to gouge our safeties eye out and it's ok but we attempt to block the QB on a pick play and they call for the player to be suspended.

This was NOT balanced. It bordered on disgraceful. Thank God they have no bearing on who wins the game.

MasterGracey

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 24, 2011
To david pollack, cbs, espn, verne & gary and to all that were biased against bama !

I've never been a big proponent of trying to gauge bias in a broadcast booth but two things really stick out in my mind. I think they made WAY WAY too much of Dial'***** on Murray. It's a fairly common thing in football for a QB to get hit. Yes, it could have drawn a flag for helmet to helmet but otherwise it was a legal play. It's not like the refs didn't miss things, like the two massive holds on a Georgia touchdown run.

Second on the Milliner personal foul he was defending himself after getting poked in the eye, it was a total thug move by the Georgia player and they didn't say a word about it. So their guy can try to gouge our safeties eye out and it's ok but we attempt to block the QB on a pick play and they call for the player to be suspended.

This was NOT balanced. It bordered on disgraceful. Thank God they have no bearing on who wins the game.
Respectfully, do you honestly expect them to notice every single aspect of every single down? I didn't notice the eye-gouging while watching and learned of it here; am I disgraceful? Gary brought up the no-call interference as many times if not more than Dial'*****.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA

Actually, they did talk about the Milliner penalty. Didn't you hear Gary talking about the penalty, adding that it was just like his kids saying, "but Dad, he started it", basically implying that the person who retaliates is always the one who get's caught. This happens all the time. Sure, it was a penalty on the UGA player but Milliner needs to be smart enough not to retaliate.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Gary and Verne have done so many Alabama blowouts I think they were just excited that the game was in question.
I agree on this one. Some of their broadcasts of our games this season -- particularly Arkansas and Mizzou -- have been absolutely painful. You can just tell that those guys were grasping at straws just to find something, anything, to say.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile

I agree on this one. Some of their broadcasts of our games this season -- particularly Arkansas and Mizzou -- have been absolutely painful. You can just tell that those guys were grasping at straws just to find something, anything, to say.
Yes. They've had a lot of awful games over the past few years besides our games...two of them being the 2010 and 2011 SEC Championship Games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.