Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: To david pollack, cbs, espn, verne & gary and to all that was biased toward bama

Yeah Mack, pollack is dominating the show. He also shot down Clemson. I do love Holtz and his little snarky remark of "using big words" on their show that Pollack doesn't watch.

Getting chippy on there. But you can tell Pollack has respect for the SEC teams.
    Roll Tide

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American CoastGhost's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: To david pollack, cbs, espn, verne & gary and to all that was biased toward bama

Quote Originally Posted by CLINT View Post
    His "homer-ness" came out again in post game. Chris Fowler said that Alabama gave Georgia several body shots that put them down, and Pollack quickly jumped in and said "they didn't beat them, they just ran out of time"......

-CLINT
    That is the truth. We didn't knock them out but we dagum sure beat 'em. I don't think Pollack was denying that, just sticking up for his boyz. I wouldn't think much of him if he didn't.

BamaNation Second Team

Good to see some sanity on the board with respect to the "biases" of Verne and Gary. Admittedly Verne has lost a step or two, but he's still better than most of the guys out there now. Is he the best at this point, no. Hard to beat Brad Nessler, and I still say CBS never should've fired Sean McDonough. Raise your hand if you want Brent Musburger... Didn't think so.

As far as Danielson goes, I think he's as good as anyone. He's very bright and very insightful. Blackledge and Herbstreit are as good as any, as well. I'll take any of them. Like Gary or not, I don't see the "bias" label, and get sick of hearing it from our fans on Finebaum's show. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing. I'd like to think our fans have more class than that...

If you do want to look at a national figure who I think has a hard time concealing his true colors, it's Tim Brando. I used to have a great deal of respect for Brando. However, anyone of his stature who takes on Finebaum's callers at the same level to which they sink, need not be taken as seriously as their position suggests. His halftime rant on the Dial--Murray hit was unprofessional, and the reactions of the panel wasn't much better. The last time I played football players were allowed to be hit during play. If I'd thrown that pass, I'd be going after the ball to atone for my mistake, rather than standing in the middle of the field wondering what happened.

We're all fans, we all have our opinions.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by hollisx4 View Post
    One of my favorite things to do is get on the other teams message board during our games with them and most of the time the fans are whining about how the announcers hate them.

I think it's just human nature in all of us to think that.
    Yo are so right. We hear what we want to hear. If everyone isn't blowing sunshine up your butt, you think they are biased against you.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJeff View Post
    I think Pollack actually picked Bama....after acting like a UGA homer earlier in the week.
    Everyon eon college gameday picked bama to win...including Pollack

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CLINT View Post
    His "homer-ness" came out again in post game. Chris Fowler said that Alabama gave Georgia several body shots that put them down, and Pollack quickly jumped in and said "they didn't beat them, they just ran out of time"......

-CLINT
    He's a Georgia Alum...we'd all be saaying the same thing in the other shoes.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Gary and Verne have done so many Alabama blowouts I think they were just excited that the game was in question. Saban approaching Wooden like status is not exactly something a biased against Alabama pundit would state.

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

I don't know about the "bias" thing, I just don't hear it. You can't compare the CBS, ABC or ESPN broadcasts against Eli Gold. Eli Gold is part of the Alabama Radio Network. Of course he's biased. Just because the other announcers aren't drooling all over Bama doesn't mean they're biased. They are going to say good things about the other team too, they kind of have to. Imagine how boring it would be if all they ever did was talk about how great Bama is.

Quote Originally Posted by tide13 View Post
    Good to see some sanity on the board with respect to the "biases" of Verne and Gary. Admittedly Verne has lost a step or two, but he's still better than most of the guys out there now. Is he the best at this point, no. Hard to beat Brad Nessler, and I still say CBS never should've fired Sean McDonough. Raise your hand if you want Brent Musburger... Didn't think so.

As far as Danielson goes, I think he's as good as anyone. He's very bright and very insightful. Blackledge and Herbstreit are as good as any, as well. I'll take any of them. Like Gary or not, I don't see the "bias" label, and get sick of hearing it from our fans on Finebaum's show. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing. I'd like to think our fans have more class than that...

If you do want to look at a national figure who I think has a hard time concealing his true colors, it's Tim Brando. I used to have a great deal of respect for Brando. However, anyone of his stature who takes on Finebaum's callers at the same level to which they sink, need not be taken as seriously as their position suggests.
    I agree with every single thing you wrote in that quote.

I suspect that Verne and Gary only have two biases, and both are because they are paid to cover SEC games:
    1. Bias in favor of the SEC. They'd prefer it if an SEC team won the national championship every single year.
    2. Bias in favor of a close game. They'd prefer that every single game were like Bama-LSU 2012, Bama-Auburn 2010, and Bama-UGA 2012.

Why? Ratings.

I seriously doubt they're particularly biased for or against any particular team.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    I don't know about the "bias" thing, I just don't hear it. You can't compare the CBS, ABC or ESPN broadcasts against Eli Gold. Eli Gold is part of the Alabama Radio Network. Of course he's biased. Just because the other announcers aren't drooling all over Bama doesn't mean they're biased. They are going to say good things about the other team too, they kind of have to. Imagine how boring it would be if all they ever did was talk about how great Bama is.
    ratings would go waaaay down, seeing as theirs about a 108 other fan bases that they're trying to reach out to.

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

I've never been a big proponent of trying to gauge bias in a broadcast booth but two things really stick out in my mind. I think they made WAY WAY too much of Dial's hit on Murray. It's a fairly common thing in football for a QB to get hit. Yes, it could have drawn a flag for helmet to helmet but otherwise it was a legal play. It's not like the refs didn't miss things, like the two massive holds on a Georgia touchdown run.

Second on the Milliner personal foul he was defending himself after getting poked in the eye, it was a total thug move by the Georgia player and they didn't say a word about it. So their guy can try to gouge our safeties eye out and it's ok but we attempt to block the QB on a pick play and they call for the player to be suspended.

This was NOT balanced. It bordered on disgraceful. Thank God they have no bearing on who wins the game.
    BS 1989

BamaNation Second Team MasterGracey's Avatar

To david pollack, cbs, espn, verne & gary and to all that were biased against bama !

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    I've never been a big proponent of trying to gauge bias in a broadcast booth but two things really stick out in my mind. I think they made WAY WAY too much of Dial's hit on Murray. It's a fairly common thing in football for a QB to get hit. Yes, it could have drawn a flag for helmet to helmet but otherwise it was a legal play. It's not like the refs didn't miss things, like the two massive holds on a Georgia touchdown run.

Second on the Milliner personal foul he was defending himself after getting poked in the eye, it was a total thug move by the Georgia player and they didn't say a word about it. So their guy can try to gouge our safeties eye out and it's ok but we attempt to block the QB on a pick play and they call for the player to be suspended.

This was NOT balanced. It bordered on disgraceful. Thank God they have no bearing on who wins the game.
    Respectfully, do you honestly expect them to notice every single aspect of every single down? I didn't notice the eye-gouging while watching and learned of it here; am I disgraceful? Gary brought up the no-call interference as many times if not more than Dial's hit.

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    Actually, they did talk about the Milliner penalty. Didn't you hear Gary talking about the penalty, adding that it was just like his kids saying, "but Dad, he started it", basically implying that the person who retaliates is always the one who get's caught. This happens all the time. Sure, it was a penalty on the UGA player but Milliner needs to be smart enough not to retaliate.