JessN: Georgia recap: Tide wins one for the ages to set up another one for the ages

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Georgia recap: Tide wins one for the ages to set up another one for the ages
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
December 2nd, 2012 01:56 AM

If the argument from the purveyors of Big 12 circus football in 2011 against an Alabama-LSU rematch hinged on the complaint that SEC football was boring, those critics will need some new material in the future. . Alabama beat Georgia 32-28 in one of the most [...]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

4thGenBamaGrad

1st Team
Nov 4, 2007
Boca Raton, FL
Excellent job giving a succinct recap to a very-full 60 minute drama.

There were so many little, "butterfly-effect" plays--such as the Christian Jones punt return you mentioned, or Yeldon's tough-fought 5 yards on 3rd and 5, or Hubbard's 1st down sack--that helped shape the outcome.

We fans need to really dig deep into the minutiae of this game to better appreciate how much this was a team victory.

Roll Tide!

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
glad to see #31 johnson getting props, he was a blocking machine last night. i saw him manhandle #29 (jarvis jones i think) on several running plays.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Good recap....especially enjoyed this one-liner:

"....Alabama spent the last quarter and a half force-feeding the Georgia Dome artificial turf to the Bulldogs’ defensive line and linebackers."

venegoni

Scout Team
Mar 18, 2007
Great write up. Play calling killed us through three quarters. Thank God we adjusted and ran the ball.We would be undefeated if we had done that to A&M.

Great write up. No doubt the Jesse Williams and Brandon Ivory's worth was quantified in last nights game.
I didn't think Ivory was that important starting the season, but boy was I wrong. If it wasn't for him we don't get that 4th down stop in Baton Rouge and it showed for a few minutes how badly we needed those two at nose. Whether for their strength or knowledge of the position we needed both of them, even a gimpy Ivory/Williams was a better option than what we fielded for them.

We had a lot of mistakes but I love how we overcame them. If we learn from these then we are looking at #15!! Roll Tide!

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
Great read Jess.

Geno Smith though is a huge difference maker. He played pretty well vs the lesser opponents the past couple of weeks, but he established himself in this game. An actual corner in the slot makes all the difference, and I always felt having a corner the quality of Milliner last season in the slot was the luxury that made our defense amazing last season.

Another underrated thing, was the hurry up offense when they decided to go that route, and I especially appreciated it when they decided to run it while doing it. That's how we can truly exploit Notre Dame

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Biggest play IMHO, was Jesse Wiiliams' stuff on third and short. HUGE play and possibly akin to the Marty Lyons stuff but won't get the Daniel Moore print ;)

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Great analysis. I always enjoy reading your articles.

I think the UGA penalties and their undisciplined play had a huge impact on the game. Just think if UGA was as disciplined as Alabama has been under Saban. If Miliner had flopped on that eye-poke as the UGA player had on the kickoff-return fumble rather than retaliating, that call probably goes the other way.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have been around for many football seasons and have seen some great Alabama games, but this was truly "one for the ages". I will admit there were several times during this game where I thought I heard the fat lady warming up, but this team showed the rare combination of poise and courage and never backed down. Like most on here I believe the 2nd half adjustments, especially the commitment to getting back to a smash mouth running game determined the outcome. We had over 15 minues more in time of possession than UGA which was the difference IMO. Great game, great coaching and great team effort. BTW great write up, Jess.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.