Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Discussion: Prevent D vs Regular D? (Georgia's last drive)

I know this question has to be in some of your minds. With less pass rush Murray hit some big passes and could have hit the game winner. Perhaps Coach Smart felt that time was in our favor and as it worked out he was right. Also, there was concern about the home run ball since Murray had a hot hand.

I know we are not the coaches (and I for one am glad we aren't)....but just for discussion....would you have preferred Prevent D or Regular D on that last drive?
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

2. Advertisement
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Re: Discussion: Prevent D vs Regular D? (Georgia's last drive)

I just don't believe in the prevent. I've seen enough of it to know that it more times than not gives the other team one more real opportunity to win the game. I think coaches, in that part of the game, where it is intense, get caught up in the idea of it and how it's "suppose to work". Rather than how it seems to always actually work. If it weren't for Moseley tipping that ball we might be on the side LSU was after running their prevent on us down in Baton Rouge.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-SEC Perrett4Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

I was SCREAMING for the reg D at the time because of the pressure we put on him in the previous 3 and out but I'm glad coach Smart did what he did now that it's over.... Wow, what a game.
    "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We were running a zone designed to keep the offense from running out of bounds and stopping the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should have brought more than 3. Murray will make throws all day long when he has time, but when he is pressured he makes mistakes.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

it wasnt a prevent defense. it was just a soft defense to defend passes with an extra guy while rushing only 3 players. coaches may not have trusted our pass defense at that point. it almost worked with the close pick attempt by Dee

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

It worked

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamanut_aj View Post
    We were running a zone designed to keep the offense from running out of bounds and stopping the clock.

Exactly & CNS explained it had just one of the early catches we had tackled before they went out of bounds you would have seen 25 seconds Gone. He was trying to end it early. If we had picked up the first down our last time out then it would have been knee time.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I just don't believe in the prevent. I've seen enough of it to know that it more times than not gives the other team one more real opportunity to win the game. I think coaches, in that part of the game, where it is intense, get caught up in the idea of it and how it's "suppose to work". Rather than how it seems to always actually work. If it weren't for Moseley tipping that ball we might be on the side LSU was after running their prevent on us down in Baton Rouge.
    LSU didn't run a prevent set in that last series. Bama wasn't in a true prevent yesterday either. DBs just played back to keep the play in front of them. Basically same as what LSU did.

Against LSU, Yeldon was matched on a linebacker that got out of position. It was a great call and a slight error on defense that resulted in Yeldon scoring.

BamaNation First Team TheOysterMan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Breezy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamanut_aj View Post

And everytime they caught a pass it was for a first down to stop the clock, or they got out of bounds. I understand the concept of prevent, but we don't have the secondary to hold up to good receivers and a hot QB if said QB gets time to scan, set, and release it. I know we were worried about giving up a big play, and of course I'm glad in the end it worked. But the only time Murray seemed to not make a play was when we were in his face and forcing him to throw the ball before he was ready to.

BamaNation Second Team

The prevent 'prevents' you from winning a lot of games, in my opinion. In our situation a sack also keeps the clock running. Just never been in favor of it, no matter who's playing.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    LSU didn't run a prevent set in that last series. Bama wasn't in a true prevent yesterday either. DBs just played back to keep the play in front of them. Basically same as what LSU did.

Against LSU, Yeldon was matched on a linebacker that got out of position. It was a great call and a slight error on defense that resulted in Yeldon scoring.
    He wasn't out of position. He made the right read, but Bama made a better play. But anyway, we won...

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Alabama was playing a defense that is built to take away the sidelines which would effectively ended the game. They had 3 passes to the TE where he got out of bounds against the defense...if like 2 of those 3 were inbounds, the game is over.

Yet again the defense didn't execute in coverage well and it nearly cost us.