Discussion: Prevent D vs Regular D? (Georgia's last drive)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I was little confused to why they were rushing three man rush with few second left. I understand the purpose of the soft "prevent" defense they were playing, in order to keep the opposing defense from going out of bounds. I would have to watch the re-air of the game tonight on ESPNU to see what would've worked and what didn't. IT would've been nice to see three or four man rushing with one coming off the edge. I would rather See Murrary run. IT would force him to take the time off the clock...

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
I never like to see a team go in prevent unless it is a hail mary situation. As last night proved, you lose the rush and the q'back can pick the defense apart. On top of that we still did not prevent passes from being completed. Chalk it up to we have not ran the prevent D that much because we have not been placed in that situation.

A few games ago with our second and third string in, I saw an alarming thing in the secondary. There were several pass plays where the other team was completing passes and our guys were not turning their heads and finding the ball and let's face it, you can't defend what you don't know is coming. I thought to myself they have not had enough individual practice time to learn the position yet. However last nite I saw the same thing happen with first teamers, just not turning their head and finding the ball. Guess last years defense totally spoiled me. :)

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
I don't care if you run goalline, prevent, 4-6, 5-2, 11-0, if you don't tackle it won't matter.

Gurley ran HARD yesterday, but the amount of missed tackles was disheartening.

Further, on the last drive, on every underneath pass that they threw, we should have attacked the ball carrier immediately. But on at least 2 or 3 plays, we failed to do that. Their TE caught a pass and had all the time in the world to get out of bounds.

However, I'd be wrong if I didn't point out the fact that we were playing a bunch of greenhorns back there. Aside from Milliner & Lester everyone in our secondary saw limited or zero playing time in our defense last season.

We won the game. That's what's encouraging.

But if we're ever in that situation again, I hope our guys would know the urgency of TACKLING the ballcarrier and not allowing him to get out of bounds
All very good points. Our tackling seems to have gotten worse as the season has progressed. Maybe the competition has gotten better which is probably the case. With the looseness of CNS after the game, I feel he realizes this team may not be the most talented but he knows they don't give up and have a lot of heart. Something to be proud of. Happy we have over a month to prepare for ND. I feel after they saw that game last nite that AJ had better be preapared to shoulder more of the load because I think they will force the issue.

TideHiFlyer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2012
A, A
Hey guys,
Lets give credit where is credit is due!! How many starters did we replace on D this year from last year's team, wasnt it 9 out of 11? They did this all on natural ability due to the recruiting of CNS with very little experience. We are set to roll next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.