Had to beat UGA and Referees

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
My hats off to a Bama team that had to beat a very good UGA team as well as a the officials. The picture of Lacy breaking the plain with ball on another post. Here it is if you haven't seen it.
http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185524

Plus the phantom tipped pass that was clearly not tipped. The flight of the ball was not altered at all. That cost Bama at least a field goal and led directly to seven for UGA. Mosley was pulled down by a UGA offensive lineman on one of UGA's rushing TD's. I also saw Jesse Williams get grabbed and completely spun around on one of UGA's long pass plays he had a direct line to QB and then was facing the other way being pulled backwards by his shirt.

I have to say I have been frustrated with this defense a little this season, but after last night I have to say that I have been wrong about them. They may not be as polished as the 2011 defense, but they are scrappy and had to handle a very good UGA offense with the refs giving everything to the Dawgs. My hats off to them for making the plays they had to to win the game. I think this may be Saban's best coaching job to get this young team to the "Big Game".

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I don't know, referees get heat in most games, but most commonly from the losing team. I could cavil a couple of calls, but given that humans are fallible I'd say they did a good job. The untipped pass was annoying, I thought Lacy probably scored (but the evidence was not conclusive) but there probably was good evidence that forward progress was stopped. We possibly dodged a bullet on the gigantic hit on Murray during the int return.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
Pretty sure there was also a missed block in the back on the blocked field goal return. Just glad we pulled it out.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Yes we won, but some things just can't be let go in a game like this when you are mounting a two front fight. Thankfully, our D shut UGA down at the end. I was waiting for tom ritter to blow his whistle saying bama called time out before the play or something or uga had a phantom play giving them one more shot at the endzone. . Thankfully it ended with the clock running out

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
that PI that was flagged when Norwood got mugged from behind... oh that was the phantom tipped ball. Ya the Refs are tiredof Bama. I believe we may have the same issue against Notre Dame as well.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I did notice some bad calls like the no call block in the back (can't remember if it lead to any points for GA but still), and the unsportsmanlike conduct where it clearly showed the GA sticking his fingers in our guys face. Overall, I think they did okay. Glad none of these cost us.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
There are always calls in every game at every level that were missed or made incorrectly. To assume that grown men who do this for a living are conspiring just against us simply makes no sense, imo.

jsanderson

Scout Team
Nov 17, 2007
On uGa's last drive when their receiver went down with the "injury" I thought since they didn't have any timeouts that time was suppose to be ran of the clock. Am I wrong on that?

TideJunkie

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 28, 2011
Union Grove, AL (population 73)
On uGa's last drive when their receiver went down with the "injury" I thought since they didn't have any timeouts that time was suppose to be ran of the clock. Am I wrong on that?
I thought the same thing as well but no one came on the field from the sidelines and I believe he was up and off the field before the ball was set and in play again.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Nothing wrong with any of the officiating yesterday.

I didn't agree with the call on Ogeltree on his hit on AJ, but that's the rule. I also got sickened listening to every talking head & their uncle talking about Dial'***** on Murray after the pick.

Otherwise, all the other calls, whether in our favor or not, were at least justifiable

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
The more closely you follow a game, the worse the officiating looks and this one was intense.
My g/f was about to kill me from screaming at the announcers all game. I said to one of my friends "Gary and Verne did everything short of putting on UGA helmets tonight." There was definitely a bit of home-cooking from the refs. The ball-spots were killing me.

My g/f was about to kill me from screaming at the announcers all game. I said to one of my friends "Gary and Verne did everything short of putting on UGA helmets tonight." There was definitely a bit of home-cooking from the refs. The ball-spots were killing me.
Must not have been an exciting game going on if you got worked up by what announcers were saying.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
There were missed calls, but nothing done on purpose. I think it was a good game and we won. So that is all the matters.

You should watch that special that was about the sec refs on espnu. It was actually this team they followed, I think. There is a lot that goes into it, and I have more appreciation for them after watching it.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
We are turning into the Yankees of CF. We are hated more than Notre Dame right now. Even the Baptist are pulling for them :)

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
Georgia had 5 more penalties than Alabama though. Alabama could have saved themselves from making mistakes (fake punt/delay of game, interception in the end zone, poor blocking on special teams/blocked field goal) and the refs decisions wouldn't have really mattered.

Sure the refs make mistakes, but it's up to Alabama to overcome it and make the adjustments that are necessary to win. The referees aren't perfect and can't catch everything.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Nothing wrong with any of the officiating yesterday.

I didn't agree with the call on Ogeltree on his hit on AJ, but that's the rule. I also got sickened listening to every talking head & their uncle talking about Dial'***** on Murray after the pick.

Otherwise, all the other calls, whether in our favor or not, were at least justifiable
Thought it was close but Ogeltree was moving towards AJ before he finished his throw. Personally, I didn't think it was a roughing the QB penalty.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.