Dee Millners Pick that wasn't

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Taking off the crimson glasses, if it had been a Georgia DB making the "interception" the way Milliner did, I would be screaming INCOMPLETE.
While I was really hoping the call would be upheld, I had the same thought. It was a fantastic try by Dee, but it was an incomplete pass. In retrospect, I'm glad it was overturned so we don't have to be hearing/reading about a so-called "tainted victory" for the next couple of weeks. CBS would have shown it (with commentary by Verne) ad nauseum.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Incompetence they name is Tom Ritter.

How does this guy manage to do the SEC championship? He is terrible. Go back and look at our few losses, almost always this screw does the game.

Whitenoise

BamaNation Citizen
May 15, 2011
I really didn't think the video was so conclusive. Since we all saw the same film, the very fact that we're discussing it here and there is some disagreement supports that idea. While there are quite a few people here who thought they made the right call, I wonder if you would see it that way if UGA had actually pulled it out? If it is the kind of film that is so close that opinions will vary and can be flip flopped so easily depending on where your bias is...then the play on the field should stand. But that's just mho.:conf2:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
How many of these threads are we going to have? There are no black helicopters...ref's aren't trying to screw us...everyone isn't out to get us. Paranoia runs too rampant through our fanbase now...

As far as the INT...it clearly hit the ground. I couldn't even make a case to myself to argue the point that he somehow got his arm under it.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
It's not a question as to whether or not the ball hit the ground, the ball can hit the ground as long as you have both hands on the ball and in complete possession. That's the key. As you can see from the replay, the ball moves ever so slightly when it contacts the ground, indicating he lost his grip on it for that split second, meaning an incompletion. However, I agree that it was reallly, really close and in my opinion, was not definitive enough to overturn the call on the field.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
It more than likely did hit the ground, but to me, the refs were unwilling to overturn a call unless it was totally conclusive evidence until that play, and then overturned a play where there was doubt. No view clearly showed the ball hit the ground, nor did any view clearly show Milliner get his arm under the ball, as I recall.
The back angle showed the ball hitting the ground

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I really didn't think the video was so conclusive. Since we all saw the same film, the very fact that we're discussing it here and there is some disagreement supports that idea. While there are quite a few people here who thought they made the right call, I wonder if you would see it that way if UGA had actually pulled it out? If it is the kind of film that is so close that opinions will vary and can be flip flopped so easily depending on where your bias is...then the play on the field should stand. But that's just mho.:conf2:
That wouldnt affect the view i Saw of the ball touching the ground...the right call was made. Just because I'd like to have made the interception doesnt mean that I didnt see it wasnt an interception...

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
It very nearly broke my heart, but it was incomplete. The front angle showed the ball "drumming" between Milliner's chest and the ground, and the rear view under Milliner's armpit showed the arms not-quite-cradling the sides of the ball with his hands on the nose. This to me is fairly definitive that it was incomplete.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
It more than likely did hit the ground, but to me, the refs were unwilling to overturn a call unless it was totally conclusive evidence until that play, and then overturned a play where there was doubt. No view clearly showed the ball hit the ground, nor did any view clearly show Milliner get his arm under the ball, as I recall.
^^^^^^^
This - they were definitely not overturning unless it was 100% video evidence. This one looked like it was incomplete because of the behavior of the ball but there was no view that I ever saw (and I looked at it in super slow-mo) where you actually saw the ball in contact with the ground.

I don't really have a problem with the overturn on this because I do think he trapped it. I just have a problem with them so tightly following the letter of the review rule all game until this call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Just rewatched Lacys TD (not called) the ball definitely crossed the plane.

Thats the problem most of us have with SEC officials especially Ritter.

Just use the same standards is all we ask.

I do think that after this call the Team took it out of the officials hands thanks to Mr Mosley.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I think the 2 calls that were not overturned, the Lacy touchdown and the non-tipped pass, were costly. Those 2 were worth 14 pts possibly. I know this is off topic, but I still claim the pass was not tipped and therefore should have been a PI call.
Also, if we would have had a better angle, I think evidence would have showed Lacy did stretch the ball across before it was knocked out of his hand. We didn't have a clear shot on goal line of that one. Player was in the way.
I thought we had a shot of the non-tipped pass had they taken more time to examine it. No change of spin or direction of the flight of the ball. Furthermore, with the view from behind the QB, it showed space between the defender's hands and the ball. Unfortunately, the next play they block our FG and score a TD.
I also think if Depriest's foot was not in the way, we could have seen Gurley's knee down before he reached the endzone. Oh well. Roll tide anyway.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
As bad as I hated it and as great of an effort as it was, it definitely was incomplete. In a couple of angles, you could see the ground's affect on the ball... you don't have to see it hit the ground if that's the case. The most horrible thing about it IMO, was the fact that Bama had to go back out on the field after the euphoria caused by the call on the field. Once you're up that emotionally and get brought to earth, it takes a bit to get composed. I thought we were beat at that point.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I don't know if you guys just don't have HD tvs or what, it clearly, without question, hit the ground without Milliner having control over the ball. He did not catch the ball. It was incomplete.

Ritter is a fine ref, and he called a fine game yesterday. This is a bizarre thread.
...did we lose the game?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The refs we have now are as good as they've been in my lifetime.
We complain about them a lot but they're the best I've seen in any conference.

I expect perfection - an acknowledged unattainable standard - but I don't think the SEC refs are awful. It's just infuriating when they miss something like the 'tipped ball' interference call. Even in real time it didn't look tipped - at all.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
See, I blame review for that particular error. I want perfection too, but when a guy messes up on a split second call, that's the job of replay to stop the game and look at it. Whether the ball is tipped or not is reviewable. They should have taken a second look.
Sure, I agree - but I lump all the officials together.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.