Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 89
  1. #66
    BamaNation All-SEC TheBamaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Dothan, Al
    Posts
    1,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dee Millners Pick that wasn't

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    See, you don't explain why call on the field was TD for Gurley and not Lacy. That's all the difference in the world though isn't it? You blow the whistle on both plays, you have consistency. You call it a TD on both you have consistency. You have two very, very close plays and you break Georgia's way on each? That's unsettling. But, it's 50/50 by itself.

    Then you get to the tipped pass (and I'll just leave the holding stuff alone, we expect missed holds). It was a flag, it was not a split section decision! Georgia lobbied, the refs talked it over and then they said tipped pass. Still no proof, but I guess they did a good job of lobbying because there was no immediate indication on the field that it was called a tip. There was a yellow flag which indicated it wasn't. Then they did review it, but despite what we saw, which was in the least enough to cause doubt it was only briefly reviewed.

    Then that brings us to the interception. What had we seen so far? We saw plays on the field stands despite evidence to the contrary. We saw precedent, we also saw a brief little review on that crucial tipped pass. Instead, we get this long review and a reversal. Alabama fans had a right to be mad because where was that on the Gurley, Lacy, or tipped pass? That's the issue, you shouldn't wait until the last minute to develop an ability to take a hard look and reverse something.

    Not true.... GO back and watch the play. The tipped ball was called before or right as the interference was called. I actually noticed the ref at the bottom of screen signalling tipped ball before i even saw the flag. The call was never "overturned" to a tipped ball, the call was left as called on the field due to not 100% evidence to overturn it.

    Now do we as Bama fans swear that it wasn't tipped, yes of course. But can I see how the replay booth could not 100% about it, most definitely. At least from the views I saw. Guys some of you are complaining over stuff and you dont even remember what actually happened (Like the person 2 pages ago who said we got the snap off before running out of time on the fake punt.)
    If you will do for two years what most people wont, you will be able to do for the rest of your life what most people cant!


    Dont talk about what your going to do, just DO IT!

  2. Advertisement
  3. #67
    BamaNation All-American KrAzY3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,150
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

    Re: Dee Millners Pick that wasn't

    Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    In my view, there was one bad call in this game. One. And that's the tipped pass. The reason that there was a flag is that the ref charged with preventing pass interference saw interference. Another ref, or possibly two or more, thought the ball was tipped. The huddled and discussed it, just as they should, and they came to the wrong decision. Then the review booth screwed up. That's a legitimate complaint.

    I'm not sure why that bad call should have resulted in a bad call on the interception that would have ended the game.
    We both know how pass interference works. The guy throwing the flag does not throw it if he sees the pass is tipped or anything that negates pass interference. His job is not to throw the flag if there is contact, it is to throw the flag if there is pass interference. He did, yes he was overruled but the notion that he was only looking for contact is misleading. He was looking for a legitimate pass interference call, which he saw and threw the flag on.

    The lobbying and overruling legitimate pass interference is what brings in doubt to everything else that occurs. That flag was on the field and the cameras were moving around. Everyone could see what had taken place. Georgia was flagged for pass interference, Georgia was lobbying for tipped pass. They appeared to win.

    It brought doubt into the entire process from there on out. Then you had to start thinking about why all four calls went Georgia's way.... I'm not justifying that leap, and I'm not going to keep going on and on about it. But, fans have a right to be unhappy. Four calls, four questionable calls, should not have all gone against Alabama, regardless of the situation, regardless of precedent, regardless of ruling on the field.

    You take four plays, and accept the general notion that they could have gone either way (although in reality I'd say three should have gone Alabama's way based on what actually happened on the field). It's like a coin flip, 50/50 each time. What are the odds of heads four straight times? That's a 6% chance. There was a 94% chance that one of those crucial calls in doubt would have gone Alabama's way. Yet, they didn't. It's perfectly reasonable to walk away from that being upset.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; December 3rd, 2012 at 11:20 AM.

  4. #68
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,261
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Dee Millners Pick that wasn't

    You could see the ball bounce off turf. Looked barely incomplete. It's not like you see us complaining about it en masse like Dawg fans have been doing over silly stuff.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

  5. #69
    BamaNation All-SEC TheBamaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Dothan, Al
    Posts
    1,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dee Millners Pick that wasn't

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    We both know how pass interference works. The guy throwing the flag does not throw it if he sees the pass is tipped or anything that negates pass interference. His job is not to throw the flag if there is contact, it is to throw the flag if there is pass interference. He did, yes he was overruled but the notion that he was only looking for contact is misleading. He was looking for a legitimate pass interference call, which he saw and threw the flag on.

    The lobbying and overruling legitimate pass interference is what brings in doubt to everything else that occurs. That flag was on the field and the cameras were moving around. Everyone could see what had taken place. Georgia was flagged for pass interference, Georgia was lobbying for tipped pass. They appeared to win.

    It brought doubt into the entire process from there on out. Then you had to start thinking about why all four calls went Georgia's way.... I'm not justifying that leap, and I'm not going to keep going on and on about it. But, fans have a right to be unhappy. Four calls, four questionable calls, should not have all gone against Alabama, regardless of the situation, regardless of precedent, regardless of ruling on the field.

    You take four plays, and accept the general notion that they could have gone either way (although in reality I'd say three should have gone Alabama's way on what actually happened on the field). It's like a coin flip, 50/50 each time. What are the odds of heads four straight times? That's a 6% chance. There was a 94% chance that one of those crucial calls in doubt would have gone Alabama's way. Yet, they didn't. It's perfectly reasonable to walk away from that being upset.
    Yea lets have all the reviewed calls conclusions divided equally between both teams no matter what....
    If you will do for two years what most people wont, you will be able to do for the rest of your life what most people cant!


    Dont talk about what your going to do, just DO IT!

  6. #70
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    12,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Dee Millners Pick that wasn't

    Lot of confirmation bias here. All the calls didn't go Georgia's way. All the calls you think were questionable went Georgia's way. The interference in the end zone--which every Georgia player, coach, and fan thought was uncatchable--went our way. The personal foul penalty on McElroy--after an incomplete third down pass in the end zone--went our way. The (correct) no-call on the Dial hit on Murray went our way. No, this was a well-called game as games go.

  7. #71
    BamaNation First Team BamaFanatJSU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rainbow City, AL
    Posts
    465
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Dee Millners Pick that wasn't

    Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    Lot of confirmation bias here. All the calls didn't go Georgia's way. All the calls you think were questionable went Georgia's way. The interference in the end zone--which every Georgia player, coach, and fan thought was uncatchable--went our way. The personal foul penalty on McCarron--after an incomplete third down pass in the end zone--went our way. The (correct) no-call on the Dial hit on Murray went our way. No, this was a well-called game as games go.
    FTFY.

  8. #72
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Hopewell, VA
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dee Millners Pick that wasn't

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBamaMan View Post
    Then you watched a different game or was too inebriated to see. One of the angles clearly showed it hit the ground.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    absolutely no question that it hit the ground.

  9. #73
    BamaNation All-American KrAzY3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,150
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

    Re: Dee Millners Pick that wasn't

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBamaMan View Post
    Yea lets have all the reviewed calls conclusions divided equally between both teams no matter what....
    I'm saying there's a problem when you ultimately end up being wrong 75% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    Lot of confirmation bias here. All the calls didn't go Georgia's way. All the calls you think were questionable went Georgia's way. The interference in the end zone--which every Georgia player, coach, and fan thought was uncatchable--went our way. The personal foul penalty on McElroy--after an incomplete third down pass in the end zone--went our way. The (correct) no-call on the Dial hit on Murray went our way. No, this was a well-called game as games go.
    The interference in the end zone was more than blatant. You can't generalize on what the fans thought either. That's absurd. I'd point out that most balls are uncatchable if a guy is yanking you to the ground. I don't think that play was reviewed though. I'm not 100% sure if the Lacy play was reviewed but I thought it was. I was talking about reviews...

    If you want to just open it up to every call on the field, we'll start with a couple no calls on holds and work our way up from there. That's not at all the point I was making. I wasn't commenting on how the entire officiating game was handled, but explaining why someone of were upset with how replays and goal line situations were handled. What replay went in favor of Alabama? What close end zone play went in favor of Alabama? The answer as far as I know is 0, and that's the point!

  10. #74
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    12,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Dee Millners Pick that wasn't

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I'm saying there's a problem when you ultimately end up being wrong 75% of the time.

    The interference in the end zone was more than blatant. You can't generalize on what the fans thought either. That's absurd. I'd point out that most balls are uncatchable if a guy is yanking you to the ground. I don't think that play was reviewed though. I'm not 100% sure if the Lacy play was reviewed but I thought it was. I was talking about reviews...

    If you want to just open it up to every call on the field, we'll start with a couple no calls on holds and work our way up from there. That's not at all the point I was making. I wasn't commenting on how the entire officiating game was handled, but explaining why someone of were upset with how replays and goal line situations were handled. What replay went in favor of Alabama? What close end zone play went in favor of Alabama? The answer as far as I know is 0, and that's the point!
    No, the point is to get the calls right. Out of the four your mentioned, I think they got 1 wrong. Is 75% a good track record? Up for debate. I don't think the calls were.

  11. #75
    BamaNation All-American KrAzY3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,150
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

    Re: Dee Millners Pick that wasn't

    Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    No, the point is to get the calls right. Out of the four your mentioned, I think they got 1 wrong. Is 75% a good track record? Up for debate. I don't think the calls were.
    So, you're telling me that Lacy didn't break the plane with the ball? Is that what you're telling all of us? On top of that, you're also telling me that you are certain Gurley's knee wasn't down? I'm not talking about replay rules, I'm talking about what actually happened.

    I'm not sure how an open minded person could see the evidence we've seen and be on that side of both. That picture was lying huh?

  12. #76
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dee Millners Pick that wasn't

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    We both know how pass interference works. The guy throwing the flag does not throw it if he sees the pass is tipped or anything that negates pass interference. His job is not to throw the flag if there is contact, it is to throw the flag if there is pass interference. He did, yes he was overruled but the notion that he was only looking for contact is misleading. He was looking for a legitimate pass interference call, which he saw and threw the flag on.
    You should read an official's mechanics manual. The deep judge's responsibility is to watch the action on the receiver. He needs to know in general when the ball is in the air so he knows whether a penalty is holding or pass interference, but he should NOT be watching the ball to see whether it gets tipped. That is primarily the umpire's job once a pass is away. If the deep judge is watching the ball, he will not see the action between the receiver and the defender. There is nothing wrong with dropping a flag and picking it back up. If the deep judge happens to see the umpire's tipped ball signal, he can choose to not drop the flag, but if he doesn't see that his responsibility is to call what he sees.

    The mechanics the officials use are designed to get the call right as close to 100% as humanly possible. It's nice to look good at the same time (not signaling touchdown then taking it away, not picking up flags, etc) but getting it right is the most important thing.

    Now, was the ball actually tipped? Didn't look like it to me, wish they would have reviewed, and wish our coaches would have challenged since it seemed they were not reviewing. Also wish coach would have taken a time out on the last drive of the 2nd quarter. However I'm extremely happy for all of the other excellent decisions by the coaches and outstanding play by the players that lead to our victory.

  13. #77
    BamaNation All-SEC BamaHoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Noblesville Indiana
    Posts
    1,857
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

    Re: Dee Millners Pick that wasn't

    Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    Lot of confirmation bias here. All the calls didn't go Georgia's way. All the calls you think were questionable went Georgia's way. The interference in the end zone--which every Georgia player, coach, and fan thought was uncatchable--went our way. The personal foul penalty on McElroy--after an incomplete third down pass in the end zone--went our way. The (correct) no-call on the Dial hit on Murray went our way. No, this was a well-called game as games go.
    Verne?!? Is that you?

  14. #78
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dee Millners Pick that wasn't

    I'm going to say this only once.
    Every sports game has 100s of calls and no calls. Missed calls VERY rarely affects the outcome of the game.
    The officials are a function of the game. Not the other way around.
    Thinking that a team would've won if the officials didn't suck is plain ignorance.

    This applies to Bama and UGA fans.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!