My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

Will the SEC championship game be obsolete in 2014?

Say this is 2014 and we are in the place of UGA. UGA beat FL. Both have the same record. Yet UGA would be excluded and FL included in the four. And why? Likely because UGA had to play in the championship game while FL sat at home.

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Will the SEC championship game be obsolete in 2014?

The big conferences will keep the games to ensure they get a spot. The conference Championship games have been a huge success and they are expanding. They could be seen as past of the playoff process.

BamaNation All-American

I almost think it becomes an unfair advantage to both the team that wins and/or loses. Can you imagine Alabama after yesterday's physical game having to now play Oregon next week? While Notre Dame sits at home with no conference champ game? And that same Oregon team (or Florida) sitting at home waiting? What if Nebraska were No. 4 yesterday and took that same shellacking from Wisconsin? In short, the teams that have to play that extra championship game before the actually tournament is .... well ....

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    The big conferences will keep the games to ensure they get a spot. The conference Championship games have been a huge success and they are expanding. They could be seen as past of the playoff process.
    Actually the SEC Championship has been the exception. Other games have failed miserably with small crowds and little excitement.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If conference champions are "preferred" in the playoff system, then wouldn't it be better to have conference co-champions than one definitive conference champion as determined by a championship game?
    The Concord Blue Devils, 16-Time World Champions: 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I still favor us having the SEC CG no matter what. Our conference is THE LEAGUE. I'd love to see any of these teams play an SEC schedule. Notre Dame would likely have 3-4 losses. Still, there's no reason Florida should be ranked higher than UGA. I think you may be surprised with their ranking today.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    I still favor us having the SEC CG no matter what. Our conference is THE LEAGUE. I'd love to see any of these teams play an SEC schedule. Notre Dame would likely have 3-4 losses. Still, there's no reason Florida should be ranked higher than UGA. I think you may be surprised with their ranking today.
    I think this will bear out my concern. Only because of the SEC championship game, UF will be ranked ahead of UGA. And in a 4 team selection, they would be left out of the playoff. So why have the playoff game? We potentially knock out an SEC team by having the game played. If say KState occupied UF's position in the polls, the game results in a deserving SEC team being knocked out of contention for the title.

edit...now that the poll is out...in fact UF is ahead of UGA.
    Last edited by skipster63; December 2nd, 2012 at 01:54 PM.