Will the SEC championship game be obsolete in 2014?

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Say this is 2014 and we are in the place of UGA. UGA beat FL. Both have the same record. Yet UGA would be excluded and FL included in the four. And why? Likely because UGA had to play in the championship game while FL sat at home.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The big conferences will keep the games to ensure they get a spot. The conference Championship games have been a huge success and they are expanding. They could be seen as past of the playoff process.

BocaLance

All-American
Oct 18, 2001
Douglasville (Atlanta), GA
I almost think it becomes an unfair advantage to both the team that wins and/or loses. Can you imagine Alabama after yesterday's physical game having to now play Oregon next week? While Notre Dame sits at home with no conference champ game? And that same Oregon team (or Florida) sitting at home waiting? What if Nebraska were No. 4 yesterday and took that same shellacking from Wisconsin? In short, the teams that have to play that extra championship game before the actually tournament is .... well ....

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The big conferences will keep the games to ensure they get a spot. The conference Championship games have been a huge success and they are expanding. They could be seen as past of the playoff process.
Actually the SEC Championship has been the exception. Other games have failed miserably with small crowds and little excitement.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
If conference champions are "preferred" in the playoff system, then wouldn't it be better to have conference co-champions than one definitive conference champion as determined by a championship game?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I still favor us having the SEC CG no matter what. Our conference is THE LEAGUE. I'd love to see any of these teams play an SEC schedule. Notre Dame would likely have 3-4 losses. Still, there's no reason Florida should be ranked higher than UGA. I think you may be surprised with their ranking today.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
I still favor us having the SEC CG no matter what. Our conference is THE LEAGUE. I'd love to see any of these teams play an SEC schedule. Notre Dame would likely have 3-4 losses. Still, there's no reason Florida should be ranked higher than UGA. I think you may be surprised with their ranking today.
I think this will bear out my concern. Only because of the SEC championship game, UF will be ranked ahead of UGA. And in a 4 team selection, they would be left out of the playoff. So why have the playoff game? We potentially knock out an SEC team by having the game played. If say KState occupied UF's position in the polls, the game results in a deserving SEC team being knocked out of contention for the title.

edit...now that the poll is out...in fact UF is ahead of UGA.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.