Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: "We came out flat" is this a trend?

Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    The only game I thought we really came out flat against was TAMU. We moved the ball early, but UGA made some big plays, and we made some mistakes. We didn't look great in any of those games, but those 3 teams are all top 10 teams with a combined record of 32 - 6.
    Agreed. People are spoiled rotten by this team.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Sometimes "flat" just means you're finally playing someone "good"... And as DiamondDust said, you don't come out throwing haymakers on the first series, or you may punch yourself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    Sometimes "flat" just means you're finally playing someone "good"... And as DiamondDust said, you don't come out throwing haymakers on the first series, or you may punch yourself out.
    Funny how coming out flat does seem to coincide with the best teams on our schedule.

To me, "coming out flat" translates to being unable to move the ball at the beginning of the game, and possibly being unable to stop the other team's offense.

In this game, the first time we had the ball, we moved from the 25 to midfield before punting and changing field position. We then held UGA to a three and out, got the ball back and moved from our 19 to around the forty before AJ got sacked and fumbled. The defense rose up and got a sack, and GA missed a long FG. We moved the ball from our 33 down to the GA 44 before getting the delay of game penalty on the fake punt, punting, and backing them up to the 13. From there, GA drove it down the field and scored a TD after THEIR fake punt worked. I just don't think we played flat at the beginning of the game, and it certainly didn't compare to the A & M game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Thats CMR and Georiga football for you.

I think we appear flat to some because we don't come out and spend the first 5 minutes babbling like hyenas and turning back flips everytime someone makes makes a mediocre tackle. If you are too excited you can spend way too much emotional energy in the first few minutes of a game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

"Flat" by my definition means lacking intensity. I thought we were flat against A@M in the first quarter. I didn't think we came out flat at all yesterday, I think we just faced a team that was every bit as intense as we were. I really think that yesterday was our most determined effort of the year because we kept hitting and they kept hitting back. Normally teams will fold when we pound the ball like we did yesterday but Georgia simply wasn't going to do it. It was just a monumental effort by both teams and I bet they're all probably still sleeping lol..
    Great great football game.
    sip

BamaNation First Team marcusroby's Avatar

I'm happy with the final outcome but I wonder why the decision to run the way we did on the final drive. It seemed like the idea was to just run as much clock as possible then punt and play d. Momentum appeared to be on our side if we had made UGA defend the whole field instead of just the middle of the line.

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Only time we've really been flat is the 3rd quarter of every game.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

Had the pleasure of sitting in front row behind the Bama bench yesterday for what may be the best game I've had an opportunity to attend in person--those kids weren't "flat" they were in a (pardon the pun) a dogfight and realized it I believe but didn't flinch. I'm not even sure we came out "flat" against aTm but felt we came out a step slow from the physical game we were in the week before. On our first series in the aTm game, AJ missed Cooper on a short pass that would have gotten us the initial first down and given Kirby 4 more minutes to settle our D down. Instead we punt and put them right back out there and the speed/tempo just kept us reeling backwards. Only after this had happened twice more and we finally mounted an offense did the D adjust to the game. I truly thought our D played their most gutty game of the year against aTm after they settled in but was too little too late.