"We came out flat" is this a trend?

bogeypro

Scout Team
Oct 25, 2005
Seems as though we came out flat against Lsu, tam, and now UGA. What's the deal, why coming out flat for big games?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
We are the dragon and Georgia had the same enthusiasm as we did in 09. It's not always us. We won in part due to their lack of mental discipline late in the game. They were spent.
Somewhat similar to last year's game with LSU, but not as extreme.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I disagree with the entire concept of the Tide"coming out flat" against UGA. Our guys played with all the intensity at their disposal. The problem is that UGA is a very good team and every bit up to putting up both an excellent offense and defense.
Just because we aren't able to blow out a team that is our equal in all phases of the game doesn't at all mean we "came out flat".

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Sometimes "flat" just means you're finally playing someone "good"... And as DiamondDust said, you don't come out throwing haymakers on the first series, or you may punch yourself out.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
Sometimes "flat" just means you're finally playing someone "good"... And as DiamondDust said, you don't come out throwing haymakers on the first series, or you may punch yourself out.
Funny how coming out flat does seem to coincide with the best teams on our schedule. :smile:

FortyYearFan

1st Team
Jan 2, 2003
To me, "coming out flat" translates to being unable to move the ball at the beginning of the game, and possibly being unable to stop the other team's offense.

In this game, the first time we had the ball, we moved from the 25 to midfield before punting and changing field position. We then held UGA to a three and out, got the ball back and moved from our 19 to around the forty before AJ got sacked and fumbled. The defense rose up and got a sack, and GA missed a long FG. We moved the ball from our 33 down to the GA 44 before getting the delay of game penalty on the fake punt, punting, and backing them up to the 13. From there, GA drove it down the field and scored a TD after THEIR fake punt worked. I just don't think we played flat at the beginning of the game, and it certainly didn't compare to the A & M game.

Sabine Free Sta

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2012
I think we appear flat to some because we don't come out and spend the first 5 minutes babbling like hyenas and turning back flips everytime someone makes makes a mediocre tackle. If you are too excited you can spend way too much emotional energy in the first few minutes of a game.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
"Flat" by my definition means lacking intensity. I thought we were flat against A@M in the first quarter. I didn't think we came out flat at all yesterday, I think we just faced a team that was every bit as intense as we were. I really think that yesterday was our most determined effort of the year because we kept hitting and they kept hitting back. Normally teams will fold when we pound the ball like we did yesterday but Georgia simply wasn't going to do it. It was just a monumental effort by both teams and I bet they're all probably still sleeping lol..
Great great football game.
sip

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
I'm happy with the final outcome but I wonder why the decision to run the way we did on the final drive. It seemed like the idea was to just run as much clock as possible then punt and play d. Momentum appeared to be on our side if we had made UGA defend the whole field instead of just the middle of the line.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.