New polls are out

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
The three voters to have Alabama at No. 1 ahead of undefeated Notre Dame were Middle Tennessee's Rick Stockstill, Texas Tech's Tuberville and Vanderbilt's James Franklin.
But while Stockstill and Tuberville had Notre Dame at No. 2, Franklin had the Fighting Irish at No. 4, behind two more SEC teams, Georgia and Florida. Franklin voted his team 16th; the Commodores finished outside the top 25.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-poll-votes-big-12-northern-illinois/1740711/

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
The three voters to have Alabama at No. 1 ahead of undefeated Notre Dame were Middle Tennessee's Rick Stockstill, Texas Tech's Tuberville and Vanderbilt's James Franklin.
But while Stockstill and Tuberville had Notre Dame at No. 2, Franklin had the Fighting Irish at No. 4, behind two more SEC teams, Georgia and Florida. Franklin voted his team 16th; the Commodores finished outside the top 25.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-poll-votes-big-12-northern-illinois/1740711/
This made me laugh. For one thing, I can only imagine how ticked the Auburn faithful must be that Tubby voted us #1. Secondly, I love that Franklin thinks that his team is the 16th best team in the country. Classic

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I give credit to Tuberville for being objective. Can't be an easy thing.

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
Why would Mike Riley of Oregon State vote us at #3??? He has Oregon at #2.

Isn't he an Alabama alum. Is there some bad blood that I'm not aware of. I could see voting Bama number one or two, but not number three. That's ridiculous.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.

Isn't he an Alabama alum. Is there some bad blood that I'm not aware of. I could see voting Bama number one or two, but not number three. That's ridiculous.
Dunno what it is, but it seems he wants nothing to do with Alabama or the history he and his father family have with it. the University. At least that's the way it seems to me.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011

He almost took the job here, but he is really a west coast guy.

I have gotten the impression there is no bad blood, but that maybe he is not real proud of his time in Alabama for some reason. He played for Coach Bryant in the 70s - think he may be hen-pecked by his wife about the South, etc.

Think his wife was a BIG reason he did not take the UA job as well.

Maybe he was just voting the party Pac 10 line though

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Saban, Richt, and Sumlin? Only people that would benefit from Alabama being #1 perhaps? I doubt that's who did, but it's a thought anyways

-CLINT
I think one #1 vote was Vandy's Franklin. I think I read that on Al.com.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
Interesting that they put Northern Illinois at #16. Being #16 or higher guaranteed them a spot in one of the BCS games. I saw a projection for them to play FSU in the Orange Bowl instead of Sugar. Looks like OU will go to the Cotton as of now.
Just because N. Illinois is 16th in the coaches poll doesn't mean they will be 16th in the BCS standings. I bet their computer rankings will suck pretty bad.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

So, if it was up to Riley we wouldn't be in the National Championship Game?

Geez...he must have had a bad experience in Tuscaloosa.

Never heard an alum in his position dissing their school quite like that. I'd like to hear him explain that to Coach Bryant when they meet again.

CLINT

1st Team
Aug 11, 2010
Central Illinois
Once again the last BCS poll have major impact on the BCS Bowls. Last year we were waiting on the release of the BCS rankings to see if it would come down to us or Ok State to play LSU. This year everyone is waiting on whether the BCS will have Northern Illinois will be #16 and what kind of chaos that will ensue.

-CLINT

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
So, if it was up to Riley we wouldn't be in the National Championship Game?

Geez...he must have had a bad experience in Tuscaloosa.

Never heard an alum in his position dissing their school quite like that. I'd like to hear him explain that to Coach Bryant when they meet again.
It was embarrassing when we were so desperate to reach out to him as a possible coach with Price and he basically shunned us. The word I heard was he left Alabama behind and has not been an active alumni and started a new life on the West Coast. I was in the camp that preferred him, but was in the minority. We would have lucky to get him in hindsight, but he wanted no part of Alabama.

With this, I dislike him now.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
It was embarrassing when we were so desperate to reach out to him as a possible coach with Price and he basically shunned us. The word I heard was he left Alabama behind and has not been an active alumni and started a new life on the West Coast. I was in the camp that preferred him, but was in the minority. We would have lucky to get him in hindsight, but he wanted no part of Alabama.

He is a very laid back west coast guy. He would've been a terrible fit at Bama. Live and let live.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Yes....me likey! :)
There is a very good reason why just taking the top 10 in the BCS isn't done. Neither the bowls nor the broadcasters want to be locked into horrible matchups. That can still happen under the current system, but there is at least some flexibility.

If that sort of system were in place, the payouts to the schools would be far less than they are now.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.

according to Wikipedia he grew up in Idaho but had family ties to the state of Alabama and the University through his father's side of the family.

I agree with the other poster who said he probably would have been a poor fit for us.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.