Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Cooper vs. Julio as Freshman comparisons

I knew after maybe his third catch that Cooper was the most talented receiver on the team. He immediately caught the ball with authority and strength reminiscent of Julio.

While it's a fact that Julio has some physical advantages over Cooper, my thoughts are that Cooper might be the more natural receiver. He seems to move, catch and judge the ball as well or better than Julio. Both of these guys are 10 in my book, but Cooper may end up a more lethal College receiver before he's through.

Any thoughts?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team Tides_of_Change's Avatar

Re: Cooper vs. Julio as Freshman comparisons

I've already voiced my opinion about this, but I believe Cooper is already showing more natural gifts as a WR than Julio as an upperclassmen. There's no denying Julio's athleticism, but Cooper makes up for what you're stating he lacks in size and physicality with instinct, agility and route-running that is flat-out rare for freshmen to possess. He'll be our greatest receiver of all time if his first year is any indication.

Suspended

Cooper is a better pure WR. Hands are incredible and almost looks effortless as he glides around the field. Julio was more of a freak athlete. Even if Cooper is covered, he has a great chance at coming down with the ball.

BamaNation First Team

I think Cooper has had the best freshman year of any receiver we've ever had. He's shown better hands, can get deep, and has the ability to juke DBs. A different type than Julio, I loved to watch both.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    I knew after maybe his third catch that Cooper was the most talented receiver on the team. He immediately caught the ball with authority and strength reminiscent of Julio.

While it's a fact that Julio has some physical advantages over Cooper, my thoughts are that Cooper might be the more natural receiver. He seems to move, catch and judge the ball as well or better than Julio. Both of these guys are 10 in my book, but Cooper may end up a more lethal College receiver before he's through.

Any thoughts?
    I think you are correct, and I say that with utmost awe and respect for Julio. He was a beast of a college receiver and is a great pro too. I just think early indications are that before he is done Amari will surpass Julio's stats. I know, QBs are different and all that. I think Amari has some receiving flair that Julio doesn't have... Fluidity, make 'em miss in space, and most of all the 'that ball is mine' attitude that I don't recall seeing in a Bama WR - ever! Julio had the power but Amari is a more natural receiver.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tides_of_Change View Post
    I've already voiced my opinion about this, but I believe Cooper is already showing more natural gifts as a WR than Julio as an upperclassmen. There's no denying Julio's athleticism, but Cooper makes up for what you're stating he lacks in size and physicality with instinct, agility and route-running that is flat-out rare for freshmen to possess. He'll be our greatest receiver of all time if his first year is any indication.
    Glad that I am not alone
    Cooper may be one of the top 3 receivers we've had in the past 30+ years. He's a gamer. His slowing and then bursting to catch back up with the deep TD throw in perfect stride showed rare game time skills. I am sure he surprised the coaches with his maturity after Deandre went down.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Julio never had the demonstration of ball skills Cooper has shown as a Freshman. It helps that Cooper has a better passer at quarterback but Julio had a bad case of the drops and he made most of his plays off hooks, square ins, and crossing routes where he could big-body people and get yards after contact. Cooper is much better at high-pointing the ball over defenders and he has a more natural ability to know how to run a route deep so the he can get to throw in stride.

He's definitely the most skilled receiver we've had under Saban though Julio takes the case in terms of physical dominance.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonSEC's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Julio is an athletic freak of nature who can overwhelm opponents, at every level, with raw athleticism. Even as a freshman, Coop shows polish as a pure wide receiver and he's probably a half step faster than Julio.
    Lee

"A long way," he said after being asked how far the Crimson Tide had come since Coach Nick Saban arrived three years ago. "I guess you could say it's the distance from Shreveport to Pasadena."
    Mike Johnson

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

He is also extremely quick for his size. Like that 1st screen pass.

BamaNation All-SEC KrimsonNinja's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Cooper is a fluid, fast and consistent WR. He makes it look effortless at times. He gets great separation. When McCarron throws the ball up you can bet Cooper comes down with it. Rarely will you see Cooper drop a pass.

Julio is a powerful, quick and dangerous WR. He is built like a machine and hard to take down. Many times at Bama he had 3 or more people trying to bring him down. He gets good separation and can make quick cuts. And he can make tough catches that most WR's can't.

Both are great in their own ways. I wouldn't say one is better than the other.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I have noticed that AJ will take more risks when he's throwing to Cooper because he can judge the ball so well. I believe we'll see more end-zone lobs next year. Chances are high that Cooper will come down with it. Cooper is a tremendous home run threat. I believe it's 3 games in a row that AJ has connected on a long TD with Cooper?

BamaNation All-American

He will be an All American but as far as stats go much will depend on what AJ decides after the season.

BamaNation Second Team Crimson Draw's Avatar

Between Coop and Julio, it's a good time to enjoy some bama TDs.