Cooper vs. Julio as Freshman comparisons

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
Cooper is the better receiver. Julio is the better football player. No one has ever bought us more yards down the field with his blocking than Julio but if I needed one of them to run a route and catch a ball for me with the game on the line, I'd send in Amari.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I knew after maybe his third catch that Cooper was the most talented receiver on the team. He immediately caught the ball with authority and strength reminiscent of Julio.

While it's a fact that Julio has some physical advantages over Cooper, my thoughts are that Cooper might be the more natural receiver. He seems to move, catch and judge the ball as well or better than Julio. Both of these guys are 10 in my book, but Cooper may end up a more lethal College receiver before he's through.

Any thoughts?
This is pretty much my thoughts as well. Cooper has route running skills and separation moves that Julio didn't have as a freshman.
I'd call him a more "pure receiver" at that level of their careers.

Julio however was an outstanding blocker and had a work ethic unlike few I've ever seen.

He literally worked his way into being what ESPN analyst Tom Jackson recently called, "The next truly great NFL receiver", and I don't think there's anyone in the league who's any better than Julio right now.
It doesn't hurt that he has beastly physical skills.

If Cooper works like Julio did there's no telling how far he can go. His fundamentals are amazing for a freshman.

sip

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This is pretty much my thoughts as well. Cooper has route running skills and separation moves that Julio didn't have as a freshman.
I'd call him a more "pure receiver" at that level of their careers.

Julio however was an outstanding blocker and had a work ethic unlike few I've ever seen.

He literally worked his way into being what ESPN analyst Tom Jackson recently called, "The next truly great NFL receiver", and I don't think there's anyone in the league who's any better than Julio right now.
It doesn't hurt that he has beastly physical skills.

If Cooper works like Julio did there's no telling how far he can go. His fundamentals are amazing for a freshman.

sip
Being compared to Julio is a complement in itself. Julio is unique with our receivers of the past because of his size and like Lacy, might have a better pro career.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I said all through Julio's college career that he'd be better in the NFL because they can't double team him like college teams did.
That's a good point. Being doubled teamed against teams like LSU is harder than single coverage in the pro's for sure.

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)
Cooper has better hands now. Jones developed into a good receiver, but the upside on Cooper is unlimited. Man, if he develops his skills and is twice as good next year as he was this year, he will be a DBs worst nightmare.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Something to contemplate is that Chris Black had pushed Amari down the depth chart (nonexistent, of course) in the spring...

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
Julio had JPW throwing to him.

Watch his Freshman highlights on Youtube, and you'll be reminded of all the times he was tackled inside the 5 (and then we went with an Ingram run behind Cody). There's at least 3. That's why his TD numbers are down.
He also had Janoris Jenkins/Patrick Peterson guarding him. With double teams all over the place.

Amari has AJ throwing.
Amari doesn't see doubles nearly as often. Especially last night... They were stacking the box after about 10 straight 10+ yard runs by Lacy/Yeldon.
Alabama throws a lot more now. They also throw farther.

And after what happened to Barkley and Bradford, I really hope AJ doesn't come back.
He's done his time, and it's time for him to move on.

Amari is more natural as a receiver, yes, but Julio was better. Teams were scared ....less of Julio even his freshman year. I don't see that with Amari yet.

Last edited:

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
I agree completely. Both extremely talented in their own right.

I think the only difference I see is Cooper has better hands as a freshman. I remember Julio not making some of those key long passes. Julio watch clutch for those first down passes though.
That's one reason I say he's dangerous. When in doubt, throw to Julio.

I agree Cooper does have better hands. He's a pure Wide Receiver.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Julio had JPW throwing to him.

Watch his Freshman highlights on Youtube, and you'll be reminded of all the times he was tackled inside the 5 (and then we went with an Ingram run behind Cody). There's at least 3. That's why his TD numbers are down.
He also had Janoris Jenkins/Patrick Peterson guarding him. With double teams all over the place.

Amari has AJ throwing.
Amari doesn't see doubles nearly as often. Especially last night... They were stacking the box after about 10 straight 10+ yard runs by Lacy/Yeldon.
Alabama throws a lot more now. They also throw farther.

And after what happened to Barkley and Bradford, I really hope AJ doesn't come back.
He's done his time, and it's time for him to move on.

Amari is more natural as a receiver, yes, but Julio was better. Teams were scared ....less of Julio even his freshman year. I don't see that with Amari yet.
AJ has played hurt most of the year, badly hurt for part. I think, at this point, that he will stay. That's a change from what I thought earlier...

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Cooper did not drop near as many passes as Julio did. I used to get very frustrated with his hands of stone.
Don't get me wrong, Julio was a great but Cooper is greater. Can't wait to see Cooper and Black in the same game.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Cooper did not drop near as many passes as Julio did. I used to get very frustrated with his hands of stone.
Don't get me wrong, Julio was a great but Cooper is greater. Can't wait to see Cooper and Black in the same game.
With Julio I think it was more lack of focus than the hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
With Julio I think it was more lack of focus than the hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, Julio would get caught looking ahead, which is exactly what you are saying. Focus. He had a second year injury slump too and his junior year was our 2010 down year? It nearly seemed like he was not reaching his potential but was healthy and had a great Junior year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.