Cooper vs. Julio as Freshman comparisons

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I knew after maybe his third catch that Cooper was the most talented receiver on the team. He immediately caught the ball with authority and strength reminiscent of Julio.

While it's a fact that Julio has some physical advantages over Cooper, my thoughts are that Cooper might be the more natural receiver. He seems to move, catch and judge the ball as well or better than Julio. Both of these guys are 10 in my book, but Cooper may end up a more lethal College receiver before he's through.

Any thoughts?

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
I've already voiced my opinion about this, but I believe Cooper is already showing more natural gifts as a WR than Julio as an upperclassmen. There's no denying Julio's athleticism, but Cooper makes up for what you're stating he lacks in size and physicality with instinct, agility and route-running that is flat-out rare for freshmen to possess. He'll be our greatest receiver of all time if his first year is any indication.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Cooper is a better pure WR. Hands are incredible and almost looks effortless as he glides around the field. Julio was more of a freak athlete. Even if Cooper is covered, he has a great chance at coming down with the ball.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I think Cooper has had the best freshman year of any receiver we've ever had. He's shown better hands, can get deep, and has the ability to juke DBs. A different type than Julio, I loved to watch both.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I knew after maybe his third catch that Cooper was the most talented receiver on the team. He immediately caught the ball with authority and strength reminiscent of Julio.

While it's a fact that Julio has some physical advantages over Cooper, my thoughts are that Cooper might be the more natural receiver. He seems to move, catch and judge the ball as well or better than Julio. Both of these guys are 10 in my book, but Cooper may end up a more lethal College receiver before he's through.

Any thoughts?
I think you are correct, and I say that with utmost awe and respect for Julio. He was a beast of a college receiver and is a great pro too. I just think early indications are that before he is done Amari will surpass Julio's stats. I know, QBs are different and all that. I think Amari has some receiving flair that Julio doesn't have... Fluidity, make 'em miss in space, and most of all the 'that ball is mine' attitude that I don't recall seeing in a Bama WR - ever! Julio had the power but Amari is a more natural receiver.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I've already voiced my opinion about this, but I believe Cooper is already showing more natural gifts as a WR than Julio as an upperclassmen. There's no denying Julio's athleticism, but Cooper makes up for what you're stating he lacks in size and physicality with instinct, agility and route-running that is flat-out rare for freshmen to possess. He'll be our greatest receiver of all time if his first year is any indication.
Glad that I am not alone :)
Cooper may be one of the top 3 receivers we've had in the past 30+ years. He's a gamer. His slowing and then bursting to catch back up with the deep TD throw in perfect stride showed rare game time skills. I am sure he surprised the coaches with his maturity after Deandre went down.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Julio never had the demonstration of ball skills Cooper has shown as a Freshman. It helps that Cooper has a better passer at quarterback but Julio had a bad case of the drops and he made most of his plays off hooks, square ins, and crossing routes where he could big-body people and get yards after contact. Cooper is much better at high-pointing the ball over defenders and he has a more natural ability to know how to run a route deep so the he can get to throw in stride.

He's definitely the most skilled receiver we've had under Saban though Julio takes the case in terms of physical dominance.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Julio is an athletic freak of nature who can overwhelm opponents, at every level, with raw athleticism. Even as a freshman, Coop shows polish as a pure wide receiver and he's probably a half step faster than Julio.

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
Cooper is a fluid, fast and consistent WR. He makes it look effortless at times. He gets great separation. When McCarron throws the ball up you can bet Cooper comes down with it. Rarely will you see Cooper drop a pass.

Julio is a powerful, quick and dangerous WR. He is built like a machine and hard to take down. Many times at Bama he had 3 or more people trying to bring him down. He gets good separation and can make quick cuts. And he can make tough catches that most WR's can't.

Both are great in their own ways. I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I have noticed that AJ will take more risks when he's throwing to Cooper because he can judge the ball so well. I believe we'll see more end-zone lobs next year. Chances are high that Cooper will come down with it. Cooper is a tremendous home run threat. I believe it's 3 games in a row that AJ has connected on a long TD with Cooper?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
He will be an All American but as far as stats go much will depend on what AJ decides after the season.
I hope like heck AJ waits on becoming wealthy. I am more inclined to want QB'S to come back as compared to positions were age is much more important to performance. I am almost certain that the coaches did not plan on losing AJ a year early until maybe 12 months ago. There will be a gap from recruiting no doubt.

Do it for the team! Seriously he's done enough, but I do hope he comes back. He has not received due attention, and he will certainly have that next year.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Cooper is a fluid, fast and consistent WR. He makes it look effortless at times. He gets great separation. When McCarron throws the ball up you can bet Cooper comes down with it. Rarely will you see Cooper drop a pass.

Julio is a powerful, quick and dangerous WR. He is built like a machine and hard to take down. Many times at Bama he had 3 or more people trying to bring him down. He gets good separation and can make quick cuts. And he can make tough catches that most WR's can't.

Both are great in their own ways. I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

I agree completely. Both extremely talented in their own right.

I think the only difference I see is Cooper has better hands as a freshman. I remember Julio not making some of those key long passes. Julio watch clutch for those first down passes though.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
He must have perfect eyesight. His eye to hand coordination and ability to judge the ball out of the QB's hand is amazing. AJ throws a very good deep ball but Coop has some of the best ability I have seen of any WR going and getting deep balls. It is not an easy task in the large stadiums and arenas these guys play in and he makes it look so easy compared to other guys who are good at it like UGA's King. Personally, should he not be an SEC 1st teamer!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Different styles of play, but Cooper has had more impact in his FR season (and we still have one more game):

Julio Jones (2008)
Code:
	        REC	YDS	AVG	LONG	TD
Julio Jones	58	924	15.9	64	4
Amari Copper (2012)
Code:
	        REC	YDS	AVG	LONG	TD
Amari Cooper	52	894	17.2	54	9

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Is anyone familiar with the injuries to Julio's hand? It seems to have followed him to the NFL. Maybe that has something to do with the drops.

Julio had a lot to live up to, and Cooper just burst on the scene. Cooper was even overshadowed by Black in camp. I believe Julio was under a lot of pressure from the get go.

Thanks for the stats crimsonaudio. 9 TD's as a true freshman receiver.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.