Florida fans have the least class of any fanbase in the SEC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I lived in Florida (born here), Georgia, and several other states before work returned me to Florida a few years ago. I've been to many football games involving every team in our conference (with the exception of Missouri). That makes me feel somewhat qualified to say this: Florida Gator fans are the most spoiled, self-deluded, and whiny fans in the SEC. They remind me of old-school Notre Dame fans (you know, back when Notre Dame had been relevant for more than one season). Since Florida lacked a real football tradition until around 1990, it's almost as if the Fighting Irish boorishness was transplanted into Gator fans just as each program began moving in opposite directions. Here is an example of the typical attitude of Florida fans from a prominent Gator forum:

"Why does Bama get so many advantages in this conference?

They're not Texas. They don't bring in far more revenue than all the other teams. In fact, they're a podunk school with bad academics in a backwards state.

Yet, they have the SEC Office in Alabama. One of their Alumni is head of officials and they rarely get flagged. They control most of the tickets to the SEC Champ game.

The worst is they got to remove UGA from their schedule this year. This game should have played out during the regular season. If UGA had won, so be it, they would have played a tougher schedule than us and deserved to go to the Champ game. If Bama had won, we would have been in the SECC game like we should have been after playing the muderous schedule we did. They go on probation for violations and get to keep their championships. We get our stripped.

I just don't get it."

Right. It's clear that there's a lot they don't get. The typical Florida fan has the most limited understanding of basic football rules, techniques, and history of any group in the conference. While a few seem to realize that the SEC wasn't created in 1990, those people are rare. Living in Georgia during the Herschel years was miserable, but that was nothing compared to residing in Florida while the Gators were led by Tebow and Meyer. At least the Bulldogs had fans that understood the sport. Talking to a typical Gator fan about football strategy is like explaining the concept of soap to barners. It's something that they just don't find important. Please note that this doesn't apply to FSU fans. As for University of Miami fans, I believe they're all extinct or incarcerated, so this doesn't apply to them, either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I agree, Huck.....we are not nearly as savvy about football as the average Bama fan is.

But there are exceptions in every state and every program.

I learned a long time ago not to "read" too much into what you read on message boards. ;)

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I still say UGA fans are the worst. I will even give them some credit bc I didnt hear anything negative about them for this game. However they are easily the most putrid fanbase for at least the last 15 yrs.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I agree, Huck.....we are not nearly as savvy about football as the average Bama fan is.

But there are exceptions in every state and every program.

I learned a long time ago not to "read" too much into what you read on message boards. ;)
Bazza, you are far from the typical Florida fan I was describing. I'm sure there's more than a bit of hyperbole in my post. Folks there can certainly post what they like - it is a site for Florida fans, after all. I suppose I'm asking for it by visiting there. Usually, it doesn't bother me, but the number of posters diminishing our victories as well as calling us backwards really pushed a button. I don't post on their site -- just read it for fun. When I do post on sites not Alabama-friendly, I try to be as polite and relevant as possible. Sometimes it's easy to forget that the good fans from opposing teams are part of our community. I apologize for comments that were too broad in their scope. I certainly meant no insult to you.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Uh, No.

Florida fans are bad, but they aren't in the same league with boogs.
Apples and oranges. Fans of the barn aren't pompous -- they're born with a tremendous inferiority complex. These Gator fans are the exact opposite. Florida fans could be classy if they so chose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.