Question: Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall Performances in SEC Championship

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall roll into Saturday’s game with 1,858 combined yards and 22 touchdowns. They were supposed to match up against Lacy and Yeldon and yet... Todd Gurley rushed 23 carries for 122, while Keith Marshall had 2 carries for 3 yards. It seems to me that Bulldogs kinda went away with their rushing games little bit and went to the arm of their QB. I noticed that Gurley was getting tired in 3rd quarter, so would it make sense for Marshall to get more carries, and would it impact the game differently if they had used both of the running backs equally? I'm not trying to discount their passing game, but if they had mixed it up with running games, then they would've been up by 2 touchdowns at least? Am I wrong? What do you think?

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Marshall is really more of a speed back at this point that requires the OL to open up holes. He really can't bust through tackles like Gurley can. That's why he wasn't seen as much during the game.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Richt said before the game that Gurley was going to be the featured back, and Marshall would just spell him if need be. Yeah, that's completely away from the plan they've used most of the year...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
So, what has been working all years long, they decided to move away from that, and let Gurley be featured back? I think it hurted them in a way, because if its not broken, why fix it? This reminds me of LSU in BCS championship game and how LSU called their plays...... If they had mixed up their running game, who knows? I just thought Marshall deserved to play more in the game... His numbers doesn't lie.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I think they went with what was working for them . Murry had the hot hand and our secondary was the weakest part of our defense. They did use the run the most when Jessie was out for awhile and was more successful until he came back in if I remember correctly.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Gurley was effective though and seemed to be getting stronger as the game went on. I think that Richt absolutely made the right call considering the circumstances.

This is really the first time that UGA has gone against a run defense like Alabama's this season. I doubt that Marshall would have been capable of making the runs that Gurley was ripping off.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall roll into Saturday’s game with 1,858 combined yards and 22 touchdowns. They were supposed to match up against Lacy and Yeldon and yet... Todd Gurley rushed 23 carries for 122, while Keith Marshall had 2 carries for 3 yards. It seems to me that Bulldogs kinda went away with their rushing games little bit and went to the arm of their QB. I noticed that Gurley was getting tired in 3rd quarter, so would it make sense for Marshall to get more carries, and would it impact the game differently if they had used both of the running backs equally? I'm not trying to discount their passing game, but if they had mixed it up with running games, then they would've been up by 2 touchdowns at least? Am I wrong? What do you think?
Tiny text is bad!!! lol I don't know if they didn't give marshall enough of a chance but they sure didn't use the combo to the extent i thought they would.

Last edited:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Gurley can ball. He could play on my team any day. I like how he runs the ball not to mention he was doing it against maybe the best run defense in the nation. I would not trade Yeldon for him but he will be a threat for 2 more years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.