Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 86
  1. #53
    BamaNation First Team Huckleberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    268
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

    Re: Who's Pulling for the Huskies of NIU?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Not sad to me considering the Orange Bowl is just another bowl game. Everything past the BCS Championship is just another bowl game.

    And the whole "split from the NCAA" system argue is incredibly tired considering the major conferences make up the NCAA and could have split at any time now. They aren't leaving so please get that idea out of your system.
    I'm not some conspiracy nut with who thinks the NCAA is out to get particular teams. I believe them to be bad for the sport and it is my opinion that their actions support that conclusion. I don't think moving past the current hiearchy of NCAA control to be a "tired" idea. I've never advocated wholesale changs in the past, but it appears now that we could be in a United Nations-style situation where a band of smaller schools could make wholesale changes for their own benefit -- and there's no Security Council ability to veto such nonsense.

    Were you around during the era when people would hook up several TV sets on New Year's Day so they could watch all the big bowl games without having to switch channels and/or miss big plays? Before the BCS-era, we didn't often get a 1 vs 2 matchup, but it seemed like there was more than one big bowl game. While I like having the top two teams play for it all -- and the big important people really like the the cash it brings (the sole reason for the BCS, as you know), it's diminshed all the other bowl games to the point where the Orange, Sugar, Rose, and Fiesta (poor old Cotton Bowl used to be up there, too) are merely consolation games. Regardless of what you might think about the current system, the idea that everything past the BCSCG should be considered just another bowl game is sad to me. The old New Year's Day bowls used to mean something, even if there wasn't a title on the line.

    I like good college football games. Even when the number of small bowls became ridiculously silly, we could still hope to see traditional powers meet in the big name bowls. There's no reason we can't have a 1 vs 2 and some really good games to watch -- games that we looked forward to seeing, even if they didn't live up to the billing (something that can happen to the BCSCG, too). The current system seems to work against that idea. If you don't care, that's OK. However, it makes a difference to me. The Orange Bowl should not have NIU playing FSU. I realized just how much I hated that part of the system when Alabama ended up playing Utah in the Sugar Bowl. Even had we won, so what? It was Utah. I would rather have seen us play a traditional power, even if their record wasn't quite as good. Maybe everyone else has moved past the days of having big names meet in several of the formally-important bowl games. I haven't and won't apologize for missing that part of the old days.

    Why do many Alabama fans hate Notre Dame and Texas so much? Mostly because of old game results. If we had been ranked #6 or #7, wouldn't you like to see us play Oklahoma, Texas, or another traditional power (just examples)? We used to have several games like that during the important bowls. It seemed to be a popular thing.

    You're right, though. There is only one important bowl game now. The rest don't really matter -- it doesn't make much of a difference who plays who. I find that to be an unnecessary loss for the college football fan who cares less about betting in a bowl pool involving a bunch of 6-6 teams than the prospect of watching a game between traditionally great teams and non-conference rivalries. Can't there be a middle ground where we still have a title game along with some system that gives us better major bowl games (the ones that don't seem to matter anymore) than what we're getting now?
    Last edited by Huckleberry; December 3rd, 2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: typing in a hurry before work

  2. Advertisement
  3. #54
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Who's pulling for the husky's of niu ?

    Won't happen. They shouldn't even be on the same field with an ACC champ .... and that obviously ain't saying a lot.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

  4. #55
    Administrator crimsonaudio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    19,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Who's Pulling for the Huskies of NIU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    You're right, though. There is only one important bowl game now. The rest don't really matter -- it doesn't make much of a difference who plays who.
    Except bowl revenue is one of the things that has helped the SEC become even more dominant - by allowing undeserving schools like NIU in instead of, say, UGA, they take a large amount of additional bowl funds out of the pot for the SEC, which would benefit Alabama directly.

    The BCS has been pretty spot-on in setting up #1 vs #2 over the years, imo, but these extra rules - 'everybody gets a trophy' - are ridiculous. And dismissing it as if it doesn't matter misses the big picture as it not only cheapens the bowls further, but it takes deserved money directly out of our AD's pocket.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

    Lurch Backwater!

  5. #56
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    8,180
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tftplisa View Post
    I want FSU to stomp the "fly in the ointment". This is why Saban pushes for the best teams in a playoff rather than the conference champions model. Look at the B1G champ Wisconsin with 5 losses.
    Wisconsin is an anomaly by the way, especially considering that OSU and PSU were ineligible for their conference championship game.

  6. #57
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    8,180
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    People who hate the BCS...you only have one more year, then you can fuss about playoff selections
    Even though it may need a tweak or two, I don't hate the BCS -- overall, it's a pretty good system (better than the upcoming playoff fiasco). If anyone wants to be mad about the NIU situation, they should be mad at the moron voters who ignored NIU's body of work and ranked them in the Top 20.

  7. #58
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    15,158
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who's Pulling for the Huskies of NIU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    I'm not some conspiracy nut with who thinks the NCAA is out to get particular teams. I believe them to be bad for the sport and it is my opinion that their actions support that conclusion. I don't think moving past the current hiearchy of NCAA control to be a "tired" idea. I've never advocated wholesale changs in the past, but it appears now that we could be in a United Nations-style situation where a band of smaller schools could make wholesale changes for their own benefit -- and there's no Security Council ability to veto such nonsense.

    Were you around during the era when people would hook up several TV sets on New Year's Day so they could watch all the big bowl games without having to switch channels and/or miss big plays? Before the BCS-era, we didn't often get a 1 vs 2 matchup, but it seemed like there was more than one big bowl game. While I like having the top two teams play for it all -- and the big important people really like the the cash it brings (the sole reason for the BCS, as you know), it's diminshed all the other bowl games to the point where the Orange, Sugar, Rose, and Fiesta (poor old Cotton Bowl used to be up there, too) are merely consolation games. Regardless of what you might think about the current system, the idea that everything past the BCSCG should be considered just another bowl game is sad to me. The old New Year's Day bowls used to mean something, even if there wasn't a title on the line.

    I like good college football games. Even when the number of small bowls became ridiculously silly, we could still hope to see traditional powers meet in the big name bowls. There's no reason we can't have a 1 vs 2 and some really good games to watch -- games that we looked forward to seeing, even if they didn't live up to the billing (something that can happen to the BCSCG, too). The current system seems to work against that idea. If you don't care, that's OK. However, it makes a difference to me. The Orange Bowl should not have NIU playing FSU. I realized just how much I hated that part of the system when Alabama ended up playing Utah in the Sugar Bowl. Even had we won, so what? It was Utah. I would rather have seen us play a traditional power, even if their record wasn't quite as good. Maybe everyone else has moved past the days of having big names meet in several of the formally-important bowl games. I haven't and won't apologize for missing that part of the old days.

    Why do many Alabama fans hate Notre Dame and Texas so much? Mostly because of old game results. If we had been ranked #6 or #7, wouldn't you like to see us play Oklahoma, Texas, or another traditional power (just examples)? We used to have several games like that during the important bowls. It seemed to be a popular thing.

    You're right, though. There is only one important bowl game now. The rest don't really matter -- it doesn't make much of a difference who plays who. I find that to be an unnecessary loss for the college football fan who cares less about betting in a bowl pool involving a bunch of 6-6 teams than the prospect of watching a game between traditionally great teams and non-conference rivalries. Can't there be a middle ground where we still have a title game along with some system that gives us better major bowl games (the ones that don't seem to matter anymore) than what we're getting now?
    I do remember how it used to be, and frankly, I'm not going to long for that time or be nostalgic about it. Also, if Alabama had been ranked #6 or #7, most fans would have been disappointed with the game regardless because of the expectation factor. For a major program, it's really the BCS Championship Game or nothing at this point. Go ask Georgia how excited they are to be playing Nebraska.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

    -Bill Belichick

  8. #59
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    15,158
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who's Pulling for the Huskies of NIU?

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Except bowl revenue is one of the things that has helped the SEC become even more dominant - by allowing undeserving schools like NIU in instead of, say, UGA, they take a large amount of additional bowl funds out of the pot for the SEC, which would benefit Alabama directly.

    The BCS has been pretty spot-on in setting up #1 vs #2 over the years, imo, but these extra rules - 'everybody gets a trophy' - are ridiculous. And dismissing it as if it doesn't matter misses the big picture as it not only cheapens the bowls further, but it takes deserved money directly out of our AD's pocket.
    Yet it was the decision of the AD's and Presidents to implement these rules so more money would be taken out of their pocket via lawsuits and such. It was also their decision to implement the two teams per conference rule way back at the beginning.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

    -Bill Belichick

  9. #60
    Administrator crimsonaudio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    19,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Who's Pulling for the Huskies of NIU?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Yet it was the decision of the AD's and Presidents to implement these rules so more money would be taken out of their pocket via lawsuits and such. It was also their decision to implement the two teams per conference rule way back at the beginning.
    That's fine, I full understand the background and reasoning, but it certainly doesn't mean we have to like or appreciate an undeserving team getting in instead of a team that actually played a real schedule and earned it.

    This thread is about who will (or won't) pull for NIU - I decidedly will not. I want to see them epically plastered as I want it to be obvious to even the most casual fan that they don't deserve being there. But even if they were to win, that doesn't mean they deserve the opportunity and pay out.

    Just because it's the rule doesn't mean it's right.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

    Lurch Backwater!

  10. #61
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who's pulling for the husky's of niu ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    I won't pull for them. Joke of a game. Forget them.
    Im with ya Boston, this feel good give everybody gets a trophy, little man needs a hand Boise state crap is getting old fast. There are several teams that deserve to be in that bowl other than that joke of a team, I hope FSU smokes um if FSU lets this bunch beat them they need to give up football NIU is NOT a good team. I will not be watching that crap for sure, they belong in the Go daddy bowl or some other pointless high school exhibition game.

  11. #62
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    15,158
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who's pulling for the husky's of niu ?

    It's going to be hilarious to see the amount of bulletin board material NIU has over the next month.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

    -Bill Belichick

  12. #63
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    8,180
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Who's pulling for the husky's of niu ?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    It's going to be hilarious to see the amount of bulletin board material NIU has over the next month.
    As if Kirk Herbstreit's rant isn't enough.
    The Concord Blue Devils, 15-Time World Champions: 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, and 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

    “Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.” ― Sergei Rachmaninoff

    “The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

  13. #64
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who's Pulling for the Huskies of NIU?

    I'm pulling for NIU.... to get run outta the stadium.

    It's absolutely absurd and unacceptable that only 2 teams out of Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, aTm, and South Carolina are going to BCS bowls just so they can make room for a MAC team who doesn't even have a head coach, and a team like Louisville who lost by nearly 20 to a 7-5 Syracuse and a 5-7 UCONN.

    Not to mention Oklahoma getting left out in favor of this garbage. It's entirely unacceptable.

  14. #65
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    15,158
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who's Pulling for the Huskies of NIU?

    Quote Originally Posted by HartselleTider View Post
    I'm pulling for NIU.... to get run outta the stadium.

    It's absolutely absurd and unacceptable that only 2 teams out of Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, aTm, and South Carolina are going to BCS bowls just so they can make room for a MAC team who doesn't even have a head coach, and a team like Louisville who lost by nearly 20 to a 7-5 Syracuse and a 5-7 UCONN.

    Not to mention Oklahoma getting left out in favor of this garbage. It's entirely unacceptable.
    To the people running the system/collecting the money (AD's and Presidents), it's quite acceptable.

    And, even though it did happen yesterday, NIU promoted Rod Carey to head coach.
    Last edited by DiamondDust; December 3rd, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

    -Bill Belichick

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!