Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: Is Amari Cooper a Pre-season All-SEC pick next year?

May make some pre-season All-American teams...

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Speaking of Black, I would not expect him to come out and be better than Amari just because of what happened in their 1st camp. No doubt he's going to be good, and could possible be better, but Amari is a proven big time gamer now, and you can't really judge a player until you put them on stage. There are some intagibles that Cooper showed in games that were most likely not seen in camp. Like being fearless and uninhabited on national television.

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica4Bama View Post
    Man I hope AJ stays (I think he needs to just based on I think he needs more grooming). If he does, our offense will be awesome. I know we will be replacing a few on the oline, but I think we could possible have another run at a NC.
    With the "youngness" of our team (saw a tweet that one are legitimately one of the youngest teams this year) and the potential that will return next year. I think we'll be in better shape to make a run next year than many probably thought we had at it this year. And although I'm hesitant to say it, this could very well be the case even if AJ enters the draft.

This supposes that replacing 3 offensive linemen will go relatively smoothly, but our defense should be incredibly great again (more like '11's defense) than this year's!
    Last edited by BamaMoon; December 3rd, 2012 at 09:58 AM.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

He will have some stiff competition. Even assuming that Jrs Jordan Matthews of Vandy and Justin Hunter of ut go pro. There's Donte Moncrief of Ole Miss, Mike Evans of TA&M, Doral Green-Beckham of MO, and Cordarrelle Patterson of ut.

BamaNation First Team crmsntd91's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I love Julio Jones as much as any Bama fan. Julio is far away the best athlete to ever play WR at Alabama. Amari Cooper is already the best WR to ever play WR at Alabama. Amari, barring injury, will be another 1st rounder.

Have any of us seen a CB that can run with Amari in and out of his breaks? What about going up and getting the ball? The catch over All-American All-Mouth Rambo was a how-to video on going and getting the ball. He is always in the right place when AJ has to leave the pocket, showing incredible awareness for a freshmen WR.

The one thing I will say though, Julio's ceiling is Randy Moss type career, with no ego. Amari Cooper I see as having a Marvin Harrison type ceiling, which is nothing to be ashamed of.
    "We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year, to dominate."

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    With the "youngness" of our team (saw a tweet that one are legitimately one of the youngest teams this year) and the potential that will return next year. I think we'll be in better shape to make a run next year than many probably thought we had at it this year. And although I'm hesitant to say it, this could very well be the case even if AJ enters the draft.

This supposes that replacing 3 offensive linemen will go relatively smoothly, but our defense should be incredibly great again (more like '11's defense) than this year's!
    To be honest, this team has overachieved. Last years team I felt was maybe the best team in 10 years(NCAA). I would have been as happy as last year with the league title this year even without a BCS shot. I see this team on par with the 2010 team with the bum schedule. Getting past LSU and Georgia were huge, whom I believe were both better than Notre Dame.

We have a no name defense that ended up #1. When your coach admits(last week) that your defense is not as talented as the past few, and your the #1 defense, you've done some good playing and coaching.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

He has nearly 900 yards and didn't even start getting big snaps until he caught 2 balls and scored a TD in the Arkansas game. To me, his level of production is more accomplished than what Julio did as a starter from game 1 in 2008. The fact Cooper was going to contribute this year didn't surprise me. The fact Cooper he's now a starter is a little more surprising but not very much. The fact he's our best receiver is kind of crazy because Norwood, Bell, White, and Ch. Jones had a pretty significant amount of experience and talent. The most ridiculous thing is that Chris Black was out-performing Cooper from Spring drills through his Fall camp injury.

It's going to be insane how much potential our passing game could have next year if McCarron returns. Cooper, Norwood, Bell, White, Ch. Jones, Black is an insanely deep rotation. OJ Howard, who I think will come in January 2013, may be the matchup guy we've been looking for at TE too.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Also, It's crazy that 3 out of the last 4 games that Cooper has went over 100 yards and at least 1 TD. The only game he didn't do that feat was WCU when he didn't play that much.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    He has nearly 900 yards and didn't even start getting big snaps until he caught 2 balls and scored a TD in the Arkansas game. To me, his level of production is more accomplished than what Julio did as a starter from game 1 in 2008. The fact Cooper was going to contribute this year didn't surprise me. The fact Cooper he's now a starter is a little more surprising but not very much. The fact he's our best receiver is kind of crazy because Norwood, Bell, White, and Ch. Jones had a pretty significant amount of experience and talent. The most ridiculous thing is that Chris Black was out-performing Cooper from Spring drills through his Fall camp injury.

It's going to be insane how much potential our passing game could have next year if McCarron returns. Cooper, Norwood, Bell, White, Ch. Jones, Black is an insanely deep rotation. OJ Howard, who I think will come in January 2013, may be the matchup guy we've been looking for at TE too.
    You forgot Duron Carter

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I kinda figured Duron Carter was not going to pan out when I followed him on twitter. Too much talk about inconsequential crap. Geno Smith kinda struck me somewhat similarly early on but his tweeting habits changed after he got on campus.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crmsntd91 View Post
    I love Julio Jones as much as any Bama fan. Julio is far away the best athlete to ever play WR at Alabama. Amari Cooper is already the best WR to ever play WR at Alabama. Amari, barring injury, will be another 1st rounder.

Have any of us seen a CB that can run with Amari in and out of his breaks? What about going up and getting the ball? The catch over All-American All-Mouth Rambo was a how-to video on going and getting the ball. He is always in the right place when AJ has to leave the pocket, showing incredible awareness for a freshmen WR.

The one thing I will say though, Julio's ceiling is Randy Moss type career, with no ego. Amari Cooper I see as having a Marvin Harrison type ceiling, which is nothing to be ashamed of.

I wouldn't proclaim "best ever" quite yet but he is a very good one indeed. One thing everybody has to consider is that Amari has very good receivers around him in Norwood, Jones, and Bell and White when healthy. Because of those guys abilities to make big plays Amari hasn't been doubled much all season which helped him a lot. Poor Julio was at least doubled most every play of his career at Bama.
    Now that he's in the NFL facing single coverage he's beating everybody and it's almost impossible to cover him.
    I've stated that I think Amari, as a freshman is a more pure receiver fundamentally than Julio was, but by his Junior year Julio had it pretty much down pat and was probably the best we've ever had. At least the Falcons thought so when they traded four or five picks just to draft him. In two years Amari may be as good or even better but he's not our best ever YET in my opinion.
    sip

BamaNation First Team crmsntd91's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I agree that Julio has figured everything out as far as the minor nuances of playing WR. We still see Julio dropping alot of balls though in the NFL. I think maybe some of those hand injuries damaged nerves in his hands or something. I still think that Amari, compared by the points in their careers, is the better of the two. I just think Julio has the higher ceiling of the two with his athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I wouldn't proclaim "best ever" quite yet but he is a very good one indeed. One thing everybody has to consider is that Amari has very good receivers around him in Norwood, Jones, and Bell and White when healthy. Because of those guys abilities to make big plays Amari hasn't been doubled much all season which helped him a lot. Poor Julio was at least doubled most every play of his career at Bama.
    Now that he's in the NFL facing single coverage he's beating everybody and it's almost impossible to cover him.
    I've stated that I think Amari, as a freshman is a more pure receiver fundamentally than Julio was, but by his Junior year Julio had it pretty much down pat and was probably the best we've ever had. At least the Falcons thought so when they traded four or five picks just to draft him. In two years Amari may be as good or even better but he's not our best ever YET in my opinion.
    sip
    "We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year, to dominate."

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crmsntd91 View Post
    I agree that Julio has figured everything out as far as the minor nuances of playing WR. We still see Julio dropping alot of balls though in the NFL. I think maybe some of those hand injuries damaged nerves in his hands or something. I still think that Amari, compared by the points in their careers, is the better of the two. I just think Julio has the higher ceiling of the two with his athleticism.
    I agree 100% that, at this point, Amari definitely has the edge.