Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 14
  1. #1
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Jackson, TN
    Posts
    467

    BCS selection criteria

    Bottom line: There are way too many criteria! The #1 thru #6 teams all are in BCS bowls, but #7 thru #11 are not. #12, #15, #21, and one unranked team are in.

    To repeat Krazy's motto: The BCS is all about inclusion over excellence. AND IT SUCKS. I was so proud to hear Herbie blast the process over and over again on the BCS show last night. Even though the "IT" conference right now is the SEC, he was able to be unbiased and call it like it is.

    Then Rece Davis "saved the day" by reminding Kirk we have a 4-team playoff soon. Can someone tell me exactly WHAT that is going to solve? You still have to pick the right teams or it will still be a hopeless sham.

    If they go into this playoff with a bunch of the same arbitrary requirements we have now and we end up with #1, #4, #6 and #10 in the playoff (or some crap like that) I am afraid my head will pop off from the frustration.

    I bet that is what will happen. I bet they will say only one team per conference. Top three conf champs are in. Then the 4th spot is for ND if they are ranked in the top 80 or a conf champ from one of the non-AQ conferences. I bet we will NEVER see the top four teams in the BCS poll get into the playoffs. And I bet college football will never quite be the same as a result.

    Just venting. Let me know your thoughts.

    -Sully

  2. Advertisement
  3. #2
    BamaNation All-SEC Snuffy Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,086

    BCS selection criteria

    Does anyone know how/if this changes when we go to the playoff system? I know there will be 6 "big" venues now - I just haven't heard about if there will be AQ into the non-playoff games based on some bogus criteria (like finishing 16 or higher etc).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    15,158

    Re: BCS selection criteria

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSully View Post
    Bottom line: There are way too many criteria! The #1 thru #6 teams all are in BCS bowls, but #7 thru #11 are not. #12, #15, #21, and one unranked team are in.

    To repeat Krazy's motto: The BCS is all about inclusion over excellence. AND IT SUCKS. I was so proud to hear Herbie blast the process over and over again on the BCS show last night. Even though the "IT" conference right now is the SEC, he was able to be unbiased and call it like it is.

    Then Rece Davis "saved the day" by reminding Kirk we have a 4-team playoff soon. Can someone tell me exactly WHAT that is going to solve? You still have to pick the right teams or it will still be a hopeless sham.

    If they go into this playoff with a bunch of the same arbitrary requirements we have now and we end up with #1, #4, #6 and #10 in the playoff (or some crap like that) I am afraid my head will pop off from the frustration.

    I bet that is what will happen. I bet they will say only one team per conference. Top three conf champs are in. Then the 4th spot is for ND if they are ranked in the top 80 or a conf champ from one of the non-AQ conferences. I bet we will NEVER see the top four teams in the BCS poll get into the playoffs. And I bet college football will never quite be the same as a result.

    Just venting. Let me know your thoughts.

    -Sully
    Before you rant, check your facts. One team per conference is not going to be a rule.

    Also, I don't know why this is hard to understand: The BCS is only about matching up #1 and #2. After that, there was never a requirement or intention to match the best teams in the remaining bowls. Never. It was a system where the big conferences could control the money, until the smaller conferences grew some teeth and issued anti-trust threats, forcing the additional rules to be put into place.
    Last edited by DiamondDust; December 3rd, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

    -Bill Belichick

  5. #4
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    15,158

    Re: BCS selection criteria

    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    Does anyone know how/if this changes when we go to the playoff system? I know there will be 6 "big" venues now - I just haven't heard about if there will be AQ into the non-playoff games based on some bogus criteria (like finishing 16 or higher etc).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There will be access available to the lower conferences in the bowls not deemed the semi-finals (The top 4 teams will be going to those two bowls). The Big East is losing their automatic qualifier spot.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

    -Bill Belichick

  6. #5
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Jackson, TN
    Posts
    467
    Thread Starter

    Re: BCS selection criteria

    I didn't say anything about a requirement or about the BCS failing to do what it was designed to do. In fact, I have been a staunch BCS supporter when it comes to arguing for/against a playoff.

    My post says that it is currently about inclusion over excellence, which is obvious, and I am simply stating I am tired of that overriding philosphy. I am also stating that you, me, and everyone else are ALL going to be very frustrated when the SAME PHILOSOPHY creeps into the 4-team playoff selection process and the best four teams are not in it.

    Simply put, I am saying dont be blind like Rece Davis and think the playoff fixes anything.

  7. #6
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Jackson, TN
    Posts
    467
    Thread Starter

    Re: BCS selection criteria

    ...because they haven't even decided how the teams will be picked yet, so we have no clue. The only thing I have to go by as I try to guess what the process will be, is that the same knuckleheads will put the same "requirements" in place to try and control the outcome (i.e. you must win your conf, you must not be from the SEC, etc, etc.).

  8. #7
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    15,158

    Re: BCS selection criteria

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSully View Post
    I didnt say anything about a requirement or about the BCS failing to do what it was designed to do. In fact, I have been a staunch BCS supporter when it comes to arguing for/against a playoff.

    My post says that it is currently about inclusion over excellence, which is obvious, and I am simply stating I am tired of that overriding philosphy. I am also stating that you, me, and everyone else are ALL going to be very frustrated when the SAME PHILOSPOHY creeps into the top-4 playoff team selection process and the best four teams are not in it.

    Simply put, I am saying dont be blind like Rece Davis and think the playoff fixes anything.
    I don't think the playoffs fixes anything. I think it just rewards whatever team is hot at that moment, much like the NCAA Basketball championship. People will lose their mind over teams #5 and #6 that don't get into the two semifinal games. My original post was based on your statement regarding how higher ranked teams are not in the BCS bowls past the championship game. That happens every year. The BCS system has always been about inclusion over excellence.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

    -Bill Belichick

  9. #8
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Jackson, TN
    Posts
    467
    Thread Starter

    Re: BCS selection criteria

    I agree with what you are saying but I will push it one step farther. The outcry won't be over #5 and #6. It will be over #2 or #3 or #4 that gets left out because they don't meet some arbitrary pre-conceived requirement that suits the pencilnecks.

  10. #9
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    15,158

    Re: BCS selection criteria

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSully View Post
    ...because they haven't even decided how the teams will be picked yet, so we have no clue. The only thing I have to go by as I try to guess what the process will be, is that the same knuckleheads will put the same "requirements" in place to try and control the outcome (i.e. you must win your conf, you must not be from the SEC, etc, etc.).
    And I've already told you the conference champions requirement IS NOT ON THE TABLE. Read this about a mock selection committee that was recently done. They decided on Notre Dame, Oregon, Alabama, and Florida. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...tee/index.html
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

    -Bill Belichick

  11. #10
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Jackson, TN
    Posts
    467
    Thread Starter

    Re: BCS selection criteria

    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    And I've already told you the conference champions requirement IS NOT ON THE TABLE. Read this about a mock selection committee that was recently done. They decided on Notre Dame, Oregon, Alabama, and Florida. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...tee/index.html
    Thanks Diamond. That article helps make my point. Read through it when you've got time. SI will NOT be in charge of the real selection committee so this has absolutely ZERO bearing on what will actually happen when the current powers-that-be get in a room together and lay out the criteria.

    I'd love to see something like that final 4, but I'd be willing to bet a paycheck it DOES NOT turn out like that. Dude the only objective evidence either of us have to go on is this: The same pencil-neck knuckleheads who endorse the current "inclusion over excellence" model will be in charge of the selection committee participants and it's selection criteria.

    So you believe they've recently had a change of heart and decided that the best four teams must play even if three of them are from the SEC?

  12. #11
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    15,158

    Re: BCS selection criteria

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSully View Post
    Thanks Diamond. That article helps make my point. Read through it when you've got time. SI will NOT be in charge of the real selection committee so this has absolutely ZERO bearing on what will actually happen when the current powers-that-be get in a room together and lay out the criteria.

    I'd love to see something like that final 4, but I'd be willing to bet a paycheck it DOES NOT turn out like that. Dude the only objective evidence either of us have to go on is this: The same pencil-neck knuckleheads who endorse the current "inclusion over excellence" model will be in charge of the selection committee participants and it's selection criteria.

    So you believe they've recently had a change of heart and decided that the best four teams must play even if three of them are from the SEC?
    9 times out of 10, there won't be 3 SEC teams in the top 4 after the SEC Championship game. The loser, like Georgia, will suffer a fall bumping them out of that position.

    I'd be willing to bet a paycheck you're letting your apparent hatred for all things pencil-necked cloud your judgement. The "inclusion over excellence" model will be in effect in the bowls NOT being used for the two semi-final sites.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

    -Bill Belichick

  13. #12
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Jackson, TN
    Posts
    467
    Thread Starter

    Re: BCS selection criteria

    Nope. I am a pencil-necked engineer myself. The truth is, I am an objectively thinking football fan who loves the sport and wants to see it continue to thive. I can set aside my own beliefs and issues to make sure the right thing happens. In this case, that right thing would be that the best four teams play regardless of any other criteria. I just don't have confidence that will happen.

  14. #13
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    15,158

    Re: BCS selection criteria

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSully View Post
    Nope. I am a pencil-necked engineer myself. The truth is, I am an objectively thinking football fan who loves the sport and wants to see it continue to thive. I can set aside my own beliefs and issues to make sure the right thing happens. In this case, that right thing would be that the best four teams play regardless of any other criteria. I just don't have confidence that will happen.
    Fair enough, but I'm also trying to see things objectively here... and I'm not as worried as you are.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

    -Bill Belichick

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!